Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gearbox used the money SEGA gave them for A:CM to make borderlands 2

This is a discussion on Gearbox used the money SEGA gave them for A:CM to make borderlands 2 within the Aliens: Colonial Marines forum, part of the A; this was always going to happen at some stage i dont care about a.cm but Borderlands was great!! well done ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

this was always going to happen at some stage i dont care about a.cm but Borderlands was great!! well done lol

INTJ

Developer: Gearbox lied to SEGA, 2K over Colonial Marines - Destructoid

It's fair to say the Aliens: Colonial Marines story has been a fascinating one. From the years of hype, to the negative reviews, to the later confusion over who actually developed the game, there's a lot of mystery and controversy afoot. Here's Destructoid to add a little more.

We've recently been chatting with a developer who -- as you might have guessed -- wishes to remain anonymous. Under this condition, he agreed to let us publish the things he's witnessed personally and learned from fellow project members in the time he spent working on Colonial Marines.

Our man was involved with the game only briefly, between 2007 and 2008, but in just that short time he had some interesting reading for us. If his words are indeed to be believed, they further fuel the suggestion that Colonial Marines was increasingly sidelined for more "important" projects.

"Gearbox was taking people off the project to put them on Borderlands 1," he says of his time on the job. "This was before the big art style change happened on Borderlands. Our team was getting smaller by the month, making it very difficult to get the game made. Ironically several of the team members were ex-3D Realms people who were saying [paraphrasing] 'Finally, we're going to Gearbox to make Aliens, and we're going to ship a fucking game!' Hah."

According to our man with the inside track, it was later learned that SEGA actually canceled Colonial Marines, deciding to cut its losses after such a long development cycle.

"At some point in 2008, SEGA temporarily pulled the plug on the game," he said. "They caught wind of Gearbox shifting resources (despite still collecting milestone checks as if the team were full size) and lying to SEGA AND 2K about the number of people working on each project. This led to the round of layoffs at Gearbox in late 2008."

The developer confirms he later spoke with people attached to the project at the beginning of 2012, and learned they actually didn't expect the game to ship in February, given its current state. It would appear staff on the game knew the thing was a bust, and were prepared for a fresh delay. Obviously, that never happened, and now we're here.

Naturally, and like so much about this situation, information was provided on the hush-hush and cannot be taken as factual evidence of any wrongdoing on anybody's part. It is, however, yet another perplexing piece of the puzzle, one reflective of other things we've been hearing over the past week. Meanwhile, as SEGA and Gearbox both maintain a poker face, these whispered words are really all we have to go on.

Lvl 8 - Gold

How can Randy Pitchford still have a job? Surely this should be investigated?...

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    How can Randy Pitchford still have a job? Surely this should be investigated?...
    I seriously doubt being the guy who blackballed a gaming developer and cost even more people their jobs is going to have a really easy job finding another job. There's a reason all these people are anonymous - they either are fearful of the repercussions, or flat out lying - and either way it isn't going to work out for the "whistle blower."

I still yet to see what was illegal, unless there is exact writing in the contract that "X" number of people must be put on a said game to receive funds. If SEGA was stupid enough to fork out the exuberant amounts of money they are accused by these faceless accusers of giving away without substantial follow up reports and critiquing the progress of their project - they deserve to have the wool pulled over their eyes for their own idiocy.

Gearbox is taking a hit, and I am sure that people will be weary of their practices... until something Borderlands related comes out, then all will be forgiven, or people will come off as the hypocritical keyboard warriors that they have proven to be time and time again this gaming generation to be.

If it's true anonymous developer person - put your name on it - until then Gearbox, SEGA, and everybody involved in here comes off as individuals who only cared about their own interests, and that should be surprising to no one.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

As Rubicant says, unless you put yourself in the firing line instead of cloak and dagger nonsense, you lose all right to legitimacy. Not to mention, it's just words on a screen without any proof.

Honestly sounds like hysterical reaction to Aliens CM fuelling bitterness, this is dirt sheet material, not facts. Strange how it takes this long for it to surface as well.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I still yet to see what was illegal, unless there is exact writing in the contract that "X" number of people must be put on a said game to receive funds. If SEGA was stupid enough to fork out the exuberant amounts of money they are accused by these faceless accusers of giving away without substantial follow up reports and critiquing the progress of their project - they deserve to have the wool pulled over their eyes for their own idiocy.
    Sorry, but what? You don't see how using money that SEGA gave Gearbox to make the game SEGA wanted them too, but then using that money on a game that has nothing to do with SEGA, as being wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Sorry, but what? You don't see how using money that SEGA gave Gearbox to make the game SEGA wanted them too, but then using that money on a game that has nothing to do with SEGA, as being wrong?
    Wrong and illegal are two completely different things. Wrong also is a matter of perspective. I also am hearing a lot of idiotic developers who don't want to say what they did, blaming everybody but themselves for releasing a game that is mediocre at best, especially considering the amount of time put into it. I don't see an ounce of proof that "wrong" has happened yet, and even if "wrong" did happen, that doesn't mean it's anything illegal - especially from the moment SEGA published said "wrong doings" as they deemed adequate enough to sell to the consumer.

But perceive what you will, since you're willing to take a couple disgruntled ex-employees who don't want the world to know that this half-assed game was partially their doing.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Wrong and illegal are two completely different things. Wrong also is a matter of perspective. I also am hearing a lot of idiotic developers who don't want to say what they did, blaming everybody but themselves for releasing a game that is mediocre at best, especially considering the amount of time put into it. I don't see an ounce of proof that "wrong" has happened yet, and even if "wrong" did happen, that doesn't mean it's anything illegal - especially from the moment SEGA published said "wrong doings" as they deemed adequate enough to sell to the consumer.
    But it very much so is illegal, it's deciet. Using funds meant for CM on a different product is against the law...

But perceive what you will, since you're willing to take a couple disgruntled ex-employees who don't want the world to know that this half-assed game was partially their doing.
    At first, yeah I would of been objective about the whole thing, but take into consideration that the whistle blower was a verified employee of Sega, who also confirmed what the previous whistle blower was saying. The previous whistle blower was from Gearbox.

I am willing to take that over your claims, and also Randy Pitchford. Especially after this; Randy Pitchford has only time for Colonial Marines praise - Destructoid

A number of Twitter accounts, which were only set up recently and seem spectacularly preoccupied with Gearbox and Gearbox products, are lavishing Pitchford with praise for Colonial Marines, and they are now the only people worthy of his time. Anybody with criticism -- not just the insults and threats he mentioned last time -- is to be ignored or outright blocked.

worlds biggest welch fan

There's a lot of money being pushed around with this nonsense and why do some peps bash on SEGA.

anyhow were full of opinions and that's that's

Do androids poop.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Ummm, the game got released. Whether or not Gearbox outsourced it, it's their prerogative, they did not deny the outsourced parties of credit. Deceit is against the law, when SEGA who paid Gearbox said funds, continued to pay them funds, and then published the product that was presented to them and deemed it passable by their quality assurance parties? OK - let's say SEGA as some victim here, and that Gearbox screwed them over. All rights they have of proving said "deceit" occurred, went out the window the second the published their game.

If you would like to find out where in the law it states that they can go after Gearbox if they paid them "X" amount of money for a game, and they only used a small fraction of it on said game - how is that Gearbox's fault? Unless the contract that SEGA drew up for them to develop the game says so, then SEGA has no leg to stand on, especially if they supposed kept paying Gearbox more money to drag out the project.

And so Randy Pitchford blocks people who harass him. I'm sorry, maybe he should answer each every misspelled idiotically irate tweet with a long drawn out post as to why he feels otherwise. Lord knows when I get unsolicited phone calls I love to spend my time explaining to them why I don't want their service. Heaven forbid he turn the other cheek and just choose to eliminate the avenue for people who seem to be able to articulate credible reasons why he is at fault in 140 characters or less in a totally acceptable manner.

---

I am not siding with Gearbox here, I am not siding with SEGA here, I am not siding with anybody here - I'm saying that too many individuals are condemning people without anything to really stand on, but a lot of finger pointing as to who's at fault because a game that has been throw development hell for 6 years came out as a substandard disappointment. I am sure there's enough blame for everybody - but nobody here deserves to be sued, slandered, or insulted when they had six... long... years to blow the whistle, and only after the fact and the negative reception do they come out with this information. Nobody likes the guy who says, "I told you so" after the fact.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Ummm, the game got released. Whether or not Gearbox outsourced it, it's their prerogative, they did not deny the outsourced parties of credit. Deceit is against the law, when SEGA who paid Gearbox said funds, continued to pay them funds, and then published the product that was presented to them and deemed it passable by their quality assurance parties? OK - let's say SEGA as some victim here, and that Gearbox screwed them over. All rights they have of proving said "deceit" occurred, went out the window the second the published their game.
    What in the pissing hell are you going on about? First of all, the only talk of outsourcing was Gearbox saying another company handled multiplayer (or campaign can't quite remember), to which Sega replied "Nope".

QA has absolutely nothing to do with this at all. You're just bringing things up that are in no way related to this... This is about Gearbox using SEGA's money to make games that have nothing to do with SEGA. Which is deciet. Plain and simple.

And so Randy Pitchford blocks people who harass him. I'm sorry, maybe he should answer each every misspelled idiotically irate tweet with a long drawn out post as to why he feels otherwise. Lord knows when I get unsolicited phone calls I love to spend my time explaining to them why I don't want their service. Heaven forbid he turn the other cheek and just choose to eliminate the avenue for people who seem to be able to articulate credible reasons why he is at fault in 140 characters or less in a totally acceptable manner.
    Read the whole of that article. Not just a sentence or two.

INTJ

Gearbox 'embezzled' Aliens: Colonial Marines money - Destructoid

An anonymous writer, who has been regularly spilling details from within SEGA on the blog SEGA Awakens, has addressed the ongoing Aliens: Colonial Marines saga, adding fresh perspective and blaming SEGA, TimeGate, and Gearbox in different ways. Mostly Gearbox, though.

I've independently corroborated the blogger's information using my own resources, which is why I'm confident enough to share his rather valuable insight. In his blog, the man writing under the alias "Bryan Danielson" states that the torrent of rumors following Colonial Marines' release are "99% true," but wished to correctly apportion the blame.

In an engrossing read, the writer separated the culpability of the three main entities involved, detailing exactly how SEGA, TimeGate, and Gearbox messed up. He begins with TimeGate, the studio rumored to be responsible for most of Aliens' development under Gearbox's command.

"TimeGate is at fault for: Wanting to even take on this project and their shoddy work," Danielson wrote. "Granted, I heard about their claims about Gearbox having full creative control, but they should have tried to show their side of the argument and fight more if they had problems with Gearbox's creative control and creative direction.

"Honestly, I thought they should have risked some arguments and the possibility of losing the contract, if they had problems with the project like the Reddit poster said. However, there still is a chance of their claims being a lie or a half truth, but as I said above, TimeGate has some responsibility."

The whistle blower addressed the idea of TimeGate throwing out Gearbox's original project work when it took over, but could only offer speculation. The possibility is entertained that TimeGate may not have been legally allowed to use Gearbox's work, but it's also entirely possible the new studio decided to start again from scratch for some other reason.

"SEGA is at fault for: Announcing the project in 2007 when no work was done at all," he continued. "In my views, a game project should be announced publicly when it is 50-60% done, so you won't have to wait 6 years for a game that turns out to be shit.

"SEGA is also responsible for not permanently cancelling the game in 2008. I don't know who found out about the mishandling of funds by Gearbox, but [canceling Colonial Marines] had to be one of the few right decisions the board has done, or this person is one of the few board members who knew what they were doing (from what I heard, this person may have left the board a while ago when SEGA decided to start the project again). This game should have been cancelled permanently, and the final product is undeniable proof of it.

"Despite that, I believe SEGA wanted to try to get some of the money back, at the fans' expense. So another blame for SEGA there. SEGA should have also watched the project and development a lot better, because there was a lot of warning signs that said this was a disaster in the making. So whoever was assigned to watch Gearbox and the game has some responsibility too, unless the board was forcing him to do it. SEGA and their lawyers also have some blame on the wording of the contract too, but more on that later."

The blog then moves onto the main event, addressing the involvement of Gearbox Software and its CEO, Randy Pitchford. In no uncertain terms, the studio is accused of robbing its publisher and lying to its face.

"Now here is the company that should get most of the blame: Gearbox Software and Randy Pitchford. Gearbox stole from SEGA, they robbed us, lied to us about the game, and tried to get another company to make the game instead. Let's see where the funding went shall we? Everyone said the game went to both Borderlands games, but Duke Nukem Forever gets a mention as well, but it's pushed out of the spotlight, because people want to forget about that game, and I don't blame them! Duke Nukem Forever had a big impact on Aliens: Colonial Marines as well."

A Gamasutra article was used to back up the claim. The article in question is an interview with Pitchford, in which he explains how his studio got the rights to Duke Nukem Forever.

"It clearly shows that Pitchford and Gearbox wanted to focus heavily on Duke Nukem Forever, but how would they get the money to hire some of the 3D Realms team and even buy the intellectual property? Sure, they made a lot from Borderlands, but guess where they got the money to fund Borderlands in the first place? Yup, SEGA.

"So Gearbox essentially lied to SEGA, mishandled funds, broke agreements and contractual obligations to work on other projects, didn't want to work on a game they were contractually obligated to work on and gave it to another team, poor organization and direction on ACM, took on too many projects from different companies at once, and other things that we may not even know about. Hell, part of me believes that Gearbox wanted this thing delayed as much as possible so they can get more funding money to embezzle from SEGA."

Danielson concludes by saying he's heard rumors of possible legal action being taken by SEGA, but admits the contract may preclude such a step from being taken. All Gearbox apparently had to do was ship the game to fulfill the agreement, which it's now done. He added that SEGA should have canceled A:CM and taken the studio to court, rather than try to make the fans pay for the investment. The writer even goes so far as to suggest SEGA ought to have published Borderlands, given it paid so dearly for it.

"In this case, what happened clearly was SEGA had a decent eye on the project, rightfully cancelled it, when they saw the problems, then someone decided to restart the project, leading to this massive mess," he concludes. "Where is our money Randy? We should get sales from Borderlands 1 and 2, since it was our money that funded it."

illegal in 9 countries

hear·say
    n.
    1. Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor.
    2. Law Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness and therefore generally not admissible as testimony.

I wouldn't believe a word of this until a court case has been run and won by Sega or Gearbox.

PRO Member

Gonna be hard to sit there and get past this one in the court of law, especially when SEGA went ahead and published and released the game as is at their own risk. If SEGA had a case - they should have not released the game, or did better follow-up on what their freelanced development company was doing with said funds. So Gearbox could have blown 90% of the fund on hookers and cocaine, as long as SEGA got their game and release it - they did so at their own risk and no longer can hold Gearbox accountable.
    2 things...

1) If Sega is at all competent in writing contracts, then its unlikely that will be applicable. Any pleabean lawyer or consultant/contract worker knows the basis for any service-based contract is a statement of work (or something along those lines, it may be a JDA or something, but the essense is the same), which clearly outlines the requirements of both the person who is supplying funds and the person who is conducting the service.

I have never in my years of doing work both on contract and with someone whom I had on contract have ever seen an agreement that doesn't stipulate two critical things: That the person paying the funds has the right to determine appropriate services rendered for those funds (note I am not referring to the PRICES or the manner in which the service is carried out, simply the right to determine appropriate services rendered), and that the person who is consuming those funds has a responsibility to utilize those funds only to the extent to which they are disclosed to the person paying, meaning that Gearbox (if under a contract like this) has to disclose to Sega where the money is going.

2) Don't forget that in many capacities this counts as fraud as well if Gearbox ever mislead Sega as to what their money was being spent on, now to some extent Gearbox has some leeway (i.e. to utilize studios and resources as they see fit), but if Gearbox ever gave Sega a single progress report or document outlining that their money went to A:CM and it didn't... Thats a pretty cut-and-dry case of fraud.

All of these, of course, are civil matters with any criminal penalties unlikely to include anything but fines.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

fraud, false advertising, illicit use of the funds, breaking of contract terms, corruption.......... list goes on, how can someone even have the courage to come and say "ah poor gearbox, they're innocent and being victims, its all sega fault".

what gearbox did is what we hear so often from private companies ripping off tax payers money, with similar things. theres 400million for highway, then private company keeps 300 on their pockets and invest in something else not related meanwhile only 100million is gived to sub-contractor. wich builds only half of what was planned, build it poorly, keeps delaying over and over, and on each public statement shows something that is more pretty then what actually is in reallity. then the first company who started this all, gets the credit for the poorly made highway and then pretends they did nothing wrong and acts as victims.

so conclusion, gearbox did the same thing but on the gaming industry. Anyway we've a Randy "Madoff" of the gaming industry. if you're foolish to blindly defend him or gearbox then you deserve to keep being ripped off on the future, good media consumer must eradicate this people and not defending them.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Everyone is upset because the game didn't reach their standards.
    Either way, I strongly believe that there will be a court case if any of these speculations/rumors are true... and whoever loses is going to cop a whole lot of shit in the years to come

...and this whole sub-contracting games to other companies and that, isn't SEGA doing that anyway? I haven't seen a SEGA only produced game released in awhile (although I could be mistaken) and I'm not talking about remakes, I'm talking about solid productions.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"

INTJ

Several staffers on Aliens: Colonial Marines spill the beans on what went wrong - report • News • Xbox 360 • Eurogamer.net

Aliens: Colonial Marines is heavily regarded as one of the biggest train wrecks in gaming history. Criticisms have run rampant from its shoddy critical reception to gamers crying afoul of its pre-release demo not being at all representative of the final product. While publisher Sega and developers Gearbox and TimeGate haven't officially responded to the game's poor reception - and are probably buried under a mountain of non-disclosure agreements - several staffers agreed to anonymously speak to Kotaku to outline what went wrong with the highly-anticipated sci-fi shooter.

It began when Sega purchased the rights to make two Alien games in 2006: an RPG from Obsidian, and an FPS from Gearbox, who was then mostly known for developing Brothers in Arms and Half-Life expansions Opposing Force and Blue Shift. Unfortunately, Sega wasn't doing so hot financially in 2009 and it had to cut its RPG loose. (Curiously, no mention is made of Sega's pretty good 2011 DS game, Aliens: Infestation).

It was around this time that Gearbox made it to the big-time with Borderlands, a massive critical success that exceeded the studio's sales expectations. It then decided to focus all of its attention on Borderlands 2, so it outsourced the Aliens game to Section 8: Prejudice developer TimeGate in November 2010.

"There was really good synergy between both teams about what needed to happen... It was a very love-love situation," said one anonymous source. "Everyone at [TimeGate] was pretty stoked," said another.

This "love-love situation" changed when TimeGate began to work on Colonial Marines - then codenamed Pecan - as it became apparent that Gearbox had ignored the game for years. According to three staffers, Gearbox had focused the vast majority of its efforts on Duke Nukem Forever, Borderlands, and Borderlands 2.

"There was obviously not four years of work done on the game," said one source. Apparently what Gearbox gave TimeGate was a merely a collection of assets with little rhyme or reason to how it was all planned to come together. "A lot of assets just didn't seem like they fit there," the source noted.

It's unclear exactly how much of Gearbox's work TimeGate was able to salvage with one source claiming that the studio decided to start fresh while another said that it had to heavily reiterate the scraps that it inherited.

By all accounts, TimeGate was the only developer actively working on Colonial Marines starting at the end of 2010.

Perhaps the biggest thing TimeGate didn't have when it began developing the game was a script. According to three sources, narrative designers at Gearbox and TimeGate were constantly writing and rewriting the game, causing the designers to discard entire levels. "For a couple months, we were just kind of guessing," said one source. "It's really weird to work on a game when you don't have a basic idea of how things will work."

One source claimed that Sega wanted the game to feel like Call of Duty, with more human combat and less riddling bugs with bullets. Neither studio agreed with this notion.

"There was also the 'too many chefs' syndrome when it came to gameplay, where too many people gave feedback on both ends and it ultimately led to further delays," said a source. "In one case, working on a particular task took me a month to finalise, as there was inconsistent and delayed feedback."

Both Gearbox and TimeGate also operated very differently. "You could not pick two companies whose general workflow is more diametrically opposed," said one source. "Gearbox is used to 'work, work, work, iterate, iterate.' TimeGate is the exact opposite - they're always about shipping the product."

Apparently one scrapped mission involved a scientist following the player around who would turn out to be a spy for malevolent military corporation Weyland Yutani, but this stage was scrapped "because escort missions are stupid," said a source. "We just spent a lot of time trying to make the game shippable."

Regarding Colonial Marines' more-impressive-than-the-final-game demo, this was built by TimeGate with some animation by Gearbox and it actually was running in real-time, only on a suped up PC that was far more advanced than what an average consumer would own. This is actually customary for games at trade shows, even if the results don't usually reveal such a discrepancy.

"We were told many times through demo production, 'Don't worry about performance, just make it awesome,'" said one source. "There was a reason [the demos] were never playable."

The game later had to be optimised for consumer PCs. "We were constantly cutting back more and more in terms of texture, shader and particle fidelity, in order to fit into the jacked memory restraints," said another source.

When Gearbox finally took the reins back on Aliens: Colonial Marines last summer it had to change everything, as according to two sources, what TimeGate delivered wasn't very good and couldn't run on PS3. Uh oh!

According to a source who had not played the final game, but was familiar with its later builds said, "[Gearbox made] big changes to lighting, texture and shader complexity... Design elements were altered or redone entirely. It looks like a lot of [TimeGate's] assets remained intact, with the exception of lower-res textures and faster-performing shaders."

A source at Gearbox said the studio knew the game was a disaster, but it couldn't ask for another extension from Sega. Not after six years. So Gearbox had to pick up the discordant pieces with only nine months to go before launch.

"The game feels like it was made in nine months," said a source who worked on the project. "That's because it was."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12