Lord Nero Reviews The Amazing Spider-Man

This is a discussion on Lord Nero Reviews The Amazing Spider-Man within the Amazing Spider-Man, The forum, part of the A; The Amazing Spider-Man Review by NeroRadec707 This will be a review similar to how I completed Dragon's Dogma. Not a ...

Harvester of Souls

Lord Nero Reviews The Amazing Spider-Man

The Amazing Spider-Man Review
    by NeroRadec707

This will be a review similar to how I completed Dragon's Dogma. Not a Review Team or past review but a simple one to get points across about the game and the different areas to be touched on.

Feel free to post any opinions of the game so far, but keep spoiler free. If must use any spoilers, aside from time of game taking place with the current film.. use spoiler tags. Thanks .
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros

Storyline: It's a top notch story, original for a movie based game that ties in with the prequel Spider-Man reboot film. It actually feels well put together and keeps you drawn in while throwing many of the Spider-Man comic elements at you. Bit short in that you could complete it in a few days, but otherwise, I have no qualms based on it.

Combat: The combat plays like a faster paced version of Arkham City's style. It uses the same mechanics of tapping to do your strikes, and then tapping another button() to counter or block and get out of the way of strikes while turning them into themselves as another attack.

Sandbox Play: Throughout the entire game, you get to roam free through Manhattan where the game's story will take place. Also as you progress through the story, you are capable of replaying any chapters or sections to get anything you missed. Just adds to the fun factor to face the bosses you want to fight again without the need to replay the entire game all over again, but that's an option too if wanted.

Web-Slinging: This is a really big solid thing in this game and for any spider-Man game to truly shine. First start web-slinging, might feel slightly awkward, but comes naturally afterwards and feels very smooth. The game nearly transitions everything for you and you simply aim Spider-Man where to go. Drop down to the ground without being hurt and then immediately pick back up to slinging through the city and streets. Buildings don't get in your way and very easy to navigate around them as well. If you do go smack dab in the side of a structure, Spidey will auto start web-running up the side to the to and then back slinging through again.

New Innovations: Web-Rush abilities make the game slightly easier to manage and learn for beginners. This allows you to control Spidey into auto performing certain jumps or leaps to areas rather than climbing or web-slinging to them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons
    Ground Controls: These controls feel a slight bit awkward when normally walking around or trying to jump. They feel too "loose" where you make wide movements even when going just for a step or one tiny jump. This is just for the ground controls while combat and web-slinging are pros and feel very well done.

Graphics: While they aren't bad, as most games Next-Gen they should of been far superior. On level of Dragon's Dogma and maybe even Arkham city slightly. Very polished, but average graphics in a time where things could and should look like GoW and Uncharted, in nearly video format. Most structures and Spider-Man himself look great int he game, but some animations during fights and cutscenes with voice movement could be done better.

Longevity
    : Rather short game and collectibles are quite quick to acquire as well if you know where to look. You could be finished with the 700 comic pages too in rather quick time, taking away from some of the replay value in the game. Also, the costume unlocks are DLC given out through July each other week or from codes acquired. So you're mostly stuck with the few in game outfits that are given to you. Points knocked down for this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Analysis
    SCORE: 8/10

Storyline: 9. For being a movie based game, the story feels legit and sticks to many of the elements of the comics including having an original story that is sequel and separate to ti's film counterpart.

Graphics: 8. Not the greatest graphics, but a bit above your average older game , though this gen should be looking alot better all around. Compared to other games, it easily compares and some parts like the city look exceptional and amazing as does Spidey himself. certain enemies and environments could of had a more realistic look to them and been more interactive.

Controls: 8. Could of been more fine tuned in standard walking and jumping animations with some more combat controls other than tapping and for everything. Otherwise, solid web-slinging controls and combat is still great and fun, though just button masher.

Technical: 9. No clipping or lag noticeable in the game. Very polished and well played game. Havne't had any issues falling through or getting stuck onto objects or similar happening to enemies. Sound is also very exceptional in the game. Constant and steady frame rate continuously as well.

BONUS UPDATE: From Wal-Mart, you get 2 free movie tickets for the film with a new purchase of the game. Extra plus and incentive right there. Though down the line, won't matter after movie is out of theaters. Free DLC from other places including GameStop and some fast food chains releasing costumes.
    Last edited by NeroRadec707; 06-30-2012 at 08:17 PM.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

....IoS King....

Hmm good stuff....if this game's fighting style is similar to Batman's I'd definitely check it out eventually....based on your review an 8 sounds like a good score....I'll have to play the game soon thanks to you....

Avatar by: cmgravekeeper - Signature by: cmgravekeeper - IV Card by: cmgravekeeper

Harvester of Souls

thanks GraveKeeper . It does play and feel alot like Batman, just more fluid in my opinion.

review is mostly finished, though I will get around to typing more into each section . Very disappointed with reviews other places were giving it so wanted to touch on it myself wiht my

Roo Commander

Sounds pretty good. I'll see if I can pick it up.

Gotham's Reckoning

Nice I've been wanting to know if this game was any good as I've been wanting to get this game. Had seen some gameplay footage and couldn't help but notice how similar the combat was to the Batman games. Such a shame to here it isn't very long though but for me anyway I never rush through a game anyway but still though .

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by gamelord-2007 View Post
    Nice I've been wanting to know if this game was any good as I've been wanting to get this game. Had seen some gameplay footage and couldn't help but notice how similar the combat was to the Batman games. Such a shame to here it isn't very long though but for me anyway I never rush through a game anyway but still though .
    It's got some length to it, but definitely easy to swing right through it . Pun completely intended . That's biggest drawback on it really. Combat is really smooth and easily comparable to the feel of Batman. Just more quicker hits compared to stronger slower ones that Batman uses.

Gotham's Reckoning

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    It's got some length to it, but definitely easy to swing right through it . Pun completely intended . That's biggest drawback on it really. Combat is really smooth and easily comparable to the feel of Batman. Just more quicker hits compared to stronger slower ones that Batman uses.
    Well Spiderman is super skinny compared to Batman so that's probably why.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Crocodile Hunter

Nice review man ive been thinking bout picking up a spiderman game for some time now lol

Sig by Apokolypz

The _ is silent.

Just picked up the game. I like your review and I hoep the game is as great as the movie was! Also, how close are you to plat? Is it an easy plat?

Sig and Avatar by SideEffect

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

Impressive review nero, keep them coming. I liked how you perfectly worded every sentence, and made the pros and cons ACTUALLY be important not like IGN and stuff that say (exaggerated).. but true.."Pros: SpiderMan comes to your playstation 3 Cons: It costed $59.99 or $49.99.

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare
    WWE Favorite TEN (Active Performers, Updated Every Week) - Bad News Barrett, Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, Luke Harper, Cesaro

Currently Playing/Working On: Call of Duty Ghosts (Xbox One/360), NBA 2K14 (Xbox One), Killzone 2 (PS3), Remember Me (PS3), WWE 2K14 (PS3)

The _ is silent.

I started playing the game and so far i've spent 5 minutes on the story and an hour just web swinging through Manhattan. IT'S AWESOME! The thing that I can't get over though is the horrible voice acting and how when i'm fighting I can't see my spider-sense because of all the flashing lights and debris from enemies and all that. But back to the voice acting: I want Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone I mean, Andrew said he wants to be Spider-Man forever so you would think that he would stand up and say, "Hey, let me do the voice!" I mean honestly, it sounds like Tobey Maguire as a teenager. Ew.

Sig and Avatar by SideEffect

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sanduckey View Post
    Just picked up the game. I like your review and I hoep the game is as great as the movie was! Also, how close are you to plat? Is it an easy plat?
    Only one chapter of collectibles and then some photos and plat . Oh and run through again on hard mode. I should of started, but wanted to thoroughly enjoy and pinpoint different things in the game for the guide first off. THEN gives me excuse to replay it . Beginning of the guide has some unlockable costumes without spoiling too much unless you delve deeper into it if interested Killer.

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Impressive review nero, keep them coming. I liked how you perfectly worded every sentence, and made the pros and cons ACTUALLY be important not like IGN and stuff that say (exaggerated).. but true.."Pros: SpiderMan comes to your playstation 3 Cons: It costed $59.99 or $49.99.
    Thank you . I tried to pick important things for me, though others may have different opinions on things I said. Which is all this is, and I encourage everything to say how you feel about the game. THAT way, everyone can judge it from my review and how others say. Like Killer hates the voiceacting, I didn't pay attention, but definitely agree sounds like Tobey Macquire from other movies. Now listening to it, I really don't mind and kinda like it . See what happened there? . Thanks though
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sanduckey View Post
    I started playing the game and so far i've spent 5 minutes on the story and an hour just web swinging through Manhattan. IT'S AWESOME! The thing that I can't get over though is the horrible voice acting and how when i'm fighting I can't see my spider-sense because of all the flashing lights and debris from enemies and all that. But back to the voice acting: I want Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone I mean, Andrew said he wants to be Spider-Man forever so you would think that he would stand up and say, "Hey, let me do the voice!" I mean honestly, it sounds like Tobey Maguire as a teenager. Ew.
    LOL Yeah that could of been worked out better and I've gotten hit recently for it. I try to position myself so I'm always in control and if you get mobbed up on .. you can escape easily to safety most cases with which is nice. Batman can't get away so easily .

Harvester of Souls

The Amazing Spider-Man Review
    by NeroRadec

Basic Information
    Developer: Beenox
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: Action-Adventure
    North American Release Date: June 26, 2012
    European Release Date: June 29, 2012
    Trophies: 1 | 2 | 11 | 33

Overview
    The Amazing Spider-Man video game created by Beenox studios and Activision is set to take place directly after the events from "The Amazing Spider-Man" film. It will tie into the movie as a direct sequel to events that occur that sees Spider-Man in Manhattan watching over the apartment of his friend, Stan (Lee). This video-game movie adaptation comes packed with it's own original story and hours of fun web-slinging. Check out the latest sandbox adventure of the Amazing Spider-Man today!

Gameplay
    Right from the start here, you can easily get the hang of flying through the city with your web-shooters. With the addition of the new Web-Rush ability, you can instantly target and zoom to different points and locations with simply press of . These tactics will come in useful on some of the larger battles you will take part in during the game, being reminiscent to Shadow of the Colossus where you target certain weak points as you progress slowly to taking down the enemy.

The Amazing Spider-Man game is mostly free roam and allows you the choice of going on through with a mission or just spending time collecting items such as comics as you web-sling through the city. Also, you have the option to replay any past areas of the game or chapters to collect missable items and replay for fun. You're capable of buying and upgrading Spider-Man's different abilities to upgrade his moves and unlock new powers. You are given the choice in most cases of how you want to play through the game. This includes being sneaking and using stealth take-downs to one-shot and eliminate your foes or jump in fists flying for intense combat and utilizing the environments to your advantage.

The combat system of the game was designed similar to that of the Batman Arkham City and Asylum games, using that style created by Rocksteady. You will immediately notice during your fights with normal thugs and grunt enemies how similar the combat system is. You will throw punches with and dodge using button, easily noted by the white/red "spider-sense" icons that appear onscreen just before an enemy hits you. Dodging these attacks will cause an automatic combo and you can flow this directly into another combo towards the rest of your enemies. Pressing allows control over your Web-Shooters for more variation in your attacks and combos, but is also sometimes used to break the guard of enemies you'll encounter. You can tell a difference between Spider-Man's combat compared to Batman's however, in that his punches and moves are much more fluid and quicker, yet not as deep or powerful looking.

Also, the web-slinging controls great and feels very natural and fluid leaping and moving through the city. The player is capable of zooming through streets and over buildings, web-slinging from building to building and even running up buildings at times, all with the ease of pressing/holding . Direction is controlled with the Left Analog Stick and you have free reign over where Spidey goes. Also, he will mostly automatically go around or over buildings if need be. You are capable of easily using the Web-Rush ability with the press of mentioned previously in the review. This allows you to see in slow motion, view different points of contact from enemies, and interact in the environment to quickly move automatically to and from. This ability will also work as a sort of guide for Spider-Man as you play the game, being able to see highlighted areas in the environment such as vents, openings, etc. Tapping the button will automatically go to the closest area that is interact-able in front of Spider-Man.

Web-slinging feels completely natural and fluid in the game as you traverse Manhattan.

Singleplayer
    The game opens with Gwen and Peter sneaking around the labs of Oscorp to check out some experimentation and other projects of Oscorp. The work in question are cross-species, which are genetically altered humans and animals whose DNA has been mixed together to create a new being. Unfortunately, these cross species start to react to Peter's presence here and begin to act violently resulting in their escape. The lab becomes under lock-down but the cross-species escape into the city infecting numerous civilians. Also, Alistair Smythe activates some of his robot droids programmed to kill cross-species and lets them loose on the city as well to hunt down the creatures, causing great harm so Spider-Man must help to protect the citizens by stopping both the machines and cross-species. After the beginning events of the game, Gwen is infected from a bite obtained from the cross-species Vermin and Peter/Spider-Man must save her and the rest of the scientists by freeing Dr. Conners from Beloit Mental Hospital. The goal is to create an antidote and save the city. You will face off against several prime faces from the original comics, including Rhino, Scorpion, and Felicia Hardy and some cameo Easter eggs for a few other minor characters mentioned. As stated in the Overview section, the game is a direct sequel to the events from the first movie with some spoilers for those that haven't seen the film, so keep this in mind before playing the game. Many questions from the movie are answered and some new faces introduced, but nothing big as that will most likely be saved for a follow movie and game. Very unique and interesting story will keep you drawn in and sticks true to several of the Spider-Man elements.

The story mode is very straightforward, but you can explore the city and complete the missions/chapters as they become available to you in your own time since the game is a free-roaming sandbox adventure. One big drawback from this is that if you play through the story quickly, you will complete all 12 main chapters of the game and be finished very quickly. There is a good number of replay value for trophies and attempting to collect all the in-door collectible items as well as the comic books scattered all throughout Manhattan. Collecting certain number of these and obtaining photos taken in select locations will unlock in-game comic books to read dealing with numerous characters from the game and some concept art work.

You will encounter numerous and intense boss fights with some of Spider-Man's more iconic villains.

Technical
    Graphically, Spider-Man looks really nice at first glance. The streets and city are detailed amazingly as his Spider-Man himself and the villains he will face. If you look closely however, some small details are kinda blurry and facial animations aren't that great. None of it is exceptionally bad, just a few parts in the game seem rushed during the in-game cutscenes where it could have really shined. Everything happens real time mostly you'll notice, but this isn't a big issue. Just something to take note of when you watch the scenes of the game play out until you have control of Spider-Man again.

Everything from the combat to web-slinging feel very fluid and responsive during gameplay as does the movements of the enemies, though somewhat scripted and generic & readable movements. There aren't many known glitches though once I managed to fall through the floor. Pressed :pause: button and selected restart from checkpoint. Luckily it restarted me just to the point I was at at a cutscene and I was no longer stuck or infinitely falling. Never managed to recreate this, but otherwise, the game has minor glitches nothing being noteworthy. Framerate stays steady and fluid at all times with Spidey even when web-slinging around the city nonstop.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH!!!

Closing Thoughts

The Amazing Spider-Man was a definite buy and a very fun experience for me. Enjoyed every moment of it and not once been bored. Spent several hours just web-slinging through Manhattan collecting comics and admiring the detail of the game. Combat is amazing too and definitely shines this game a bit being similar to that top rated Arkham City Batman style. Very little to qualm about with the game, except that the actors from the movies didn't do any of the voices, however i feel they did a stellar job with the chosen voice actors.

Gameplay: 9/10
    Great combat system and very fluid controls web-slinging, but nothing really innovative except Web-Rush mode that can make things a bit too easy at times. Very fun but slightly held back as lack of variety of things to do.

Singleplayer: 8.5/10
    Great amazing storyline and overall experience, however it's a tad short if you rush through it and don't care about all the collecting. LOTS of collecting in the game, but doesn't do much to extend the experience. Amazing to see some of the new takes on the classic villains of Spider-Man.

Multiplayer: N/A
    No multiplayer for this game.

Technical: 8/10
    Nicely polished game in most areas, though held back slightly during in-game cutscenes that you'd expect more from. Does everything great, just has a bit more to be desired as it does nothing overly outstanding or groundbreaking. All controls are very responsive and as long as you're airborne or crawling, works great. Ground controls are bit patchy as is the camera angles at times.

Overall: 8.5/10
    Has a bit to improve on, but is a great, nearly epic video game work, with some great features. Definitely helps to play as one of the strongest and most awesome Comic book characters to date.
    Last edited by NeroRadec707; 07-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.