Samsung Galaxy SIII Info Leaks out all over the place, out in april possibly

This is a discussion on Samsung Galaxy SIII Info Leaks out all over the place, out in april possibly within the Android forum, part of the PC; Twitter The Person above works for a Mobile Review site. Samsung Galaxy SIII rumour round-up: Secrets of the future-proof smartphone ...

INTJ

Samsung Galaxy SIII Info Leaks out all over the place, out in april possibly

Twitter

The Person above works for a Mobile Review site.

Samsung Galaxy SIII rumour round-up: Secrets of the future-proof smartphone | Electricpig

As we near Mobile World Congress, more and more gossip surrounding the probably-soon-to-be-launched Samsung Galaxy SIII seem to be hitting the web. If the word is to be believed, we’re looking at a handset that could smash everything else in 2012.

Samsung Galaxy SIII: Display and cameras

Samsung’s obviously of the opinion that bigger is better, if some of its recent handsets are anything to go on. A bunch of display sizes have been thrown into the ever-spinning rumour mill, but no one’s really sure. The Samsung Galaxy SII sports a 4.3-inch SUPER AMOLED display, so you’ve got to best that.

At the high end, the Samsung Galaxy SIII display could hit the 5-inch mark. That’s according to word from ibtimes. Although hang on… Wouldn’t that encroach on the Galaxy Note’s turf? Leaked images pertaining to be the handset, meanwhile, suggest a 4.6-inch display:

The quality of the screen is going to be mega, either way. We’re talking Super AMOLED Plus, with a resolution that’ll guarantee HD imaging.

…Which would be no good if you didn’t have a top notch HD camera to back it up and pump in content. All signs point to 12-Megapixels on this front, with at least 720p HD video recording. It’s reported to have an LED or Xenon flash and is likely to play host to a 2-Meg front-facing cam for video calling.

Samsung Galaxy SIII: Processor

Two words: Quad. Core. The brain of Samsung’s flagship smartphone sequel is likely to be one of the first quad-core mobiles to market. The Samsung Galaxy S2 had an Exynos 4210 dual-core processor beating within its innards. For the Samsung Galaxy S3 to step up, most are expecting a quad-core architecture, and uncovered evidence for an Exynos 4412 chip meant people thought they had it all worked out: The 4412 is a 32nm number, with each of the four ARM Cortex-A9 cores running up to 1.5GHz.

But it could be something else altogether. Rival sources suggest that Sammie will pour the Mali-T604 GPU into the Samsung Galaxy SIII. It boasts 5x the graphical performance compared to the last generation of Mali graphics processors, and plays nice with quad-core devices.

Generous estimates have even gone as high as to say that the Galaxy SIII will have a quad-core processor running at 2GHz. Don’t expect that to be true: That kind of power would completely rinse the battery.

Samsung Galaxy SIII: Android 4.0

Given that samsung manufactured the Galaxy Nexus, which is the flagship device for Android 4.0, you can safely assume that the company knows its way around an Ice Cream Sandwich or two.

A recent video showed Samsung testing Android 4.0 on the Samsung Galaxy SII, but it’s not exactly what you’d call ‘stock Android’. As with all its phones, Sammie’s slathered a layer of the TouchWiz UI over the top.

This means that you won’t really see Ice Cream Sandwich as it was initially designed, but that’s never been an issue in the past. While Android 4.0 is the biggest step in the right direction yet for the OS, Samsung’s skin adds yet more user friendliness to proceedings.

Samsung Galaxy SIII: Announcement and release

The world’s waiting with baited breath for an announcement from Samsung at Mobile World Congress, which will open its doors in Barcelona on 27th February. If Samsung follows the same plan as with its predecessor, The Samsung Galaxy SIII will see its launch in April 2012.

This was all most recently hinted at by known industry insider Eldar Murtazin, who’s been tweeting that he actually has a Samsung Galaxy SIII in his pocket. He says an April launch is a guarantee, but he has been wrong in the past. Some whispers say March. You should be so lucky.

Whatever the case, it’s likely to arrive in the Spring. With the specs at its disposal and an army of Samsung Galaxy S2 fans clambering for more, it’s going to hit the ground running. We’d imagine at this stage that the only handset really set to challenge it will be the iPhone 5, which is likely to launch at the latter end of the year.

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

Platinum Procrastinator

This is good news as I almost bought a SII a few days ago but decided to wait. I still have 8 months left on my current contract, but it the rumors are true and the phone does come out in March/April then I'll probably buy out my remaining 4-5 months and buy one without getting locked into a three year contract.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

illegal in 9 countries

I honestly don't get the fuss about the Samsung Galaxy phones and these so-called "tweaks" all seem like fixes to stuff that should work properly in the first place.

I considered an SII for my wife recently, but it felt like a cheap, plastic rip-off of the iPhone with a clunkier interface, I didn't like it at all. At first glance, I thought the SII i was playing with was one of the those plastic, pretend demo models but was shocked to realise it was the real deal...much too lightweight and fragile-looking for my liking.

I'm not an Apple fanboy nor Android hater, but IMHO, Samsung and the other Android smart phone makers still have a long way to go to catch up to Apple for the visual appeal, quality finish, user interface and app market.

The hardware specs are meaningless if they can't tie it all together into a quality user experience. When they get all elements right, I'll reconsider buying Android, but until then, I'm sticking with the iPhone.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    This is good news as I almost bought a SII a few days ago but decided to wait. I still have 8 months left on my current contract, but it the rumors are true and the phone does come out in March/April then I'll probably buy out my remaining 4-5 months and buy one without getting locked into a three year contract.

if judging by the S2, it's going to be released for everyone but the united states till late fall, right before the new iphone model appears to add insult to injury (The S2 Released in the US the DAY BEFORE the iPhone 4S Reveal. it was hilarious)

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I'm not an Apple fanboy nor Android hater, but IMHO, Samsung and the other Android smart phone makers still have a long way to go to catch up to Apple for the visual appeal, quality finish, user interface and app market.
    Well the first two have nothing to do with the function of a phone... Whats more is, atleast Samsung, is not cheap plastic, the glass on the Galaxy is better than what Apple buys.

The last two always kind of bug me though, as someone who has actually started working and developing on Android... Its a completely customizable UI. How can something that, out of the box, works the same as the iPhone (except icons), but then allows you to change the interface to fit what you want (you can go ultra artsy with the icons scattered about, or you can go ultra rigid/professional and have everything on one screen, scrolling, with no background).

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me, its like saying a painting you painted doesn't look good. Why did you paint it that way then?

As far as the App market goes, I am at the point now where I can't even take that argument seriously. After doing some number crunching myself, I've discovered that most of the "Apple spends more in the App Store" can be accounted for by the fact that the Apple App store has significantly less free apps.

Whats more is I don't understand this concept Android/Apple debate spawns about App quality. You know what neither platform has? Consistent, high-quality apps. I can't sit here and fault Android for something Apple hasn't been doing particularly well, for free apps I am batting maybe 4-6/10 on my iPhone actually being useful in some way (be it doing anything, doing whats advertised, not crashing, etc)... For paid apps I am batting much higher, 8-9/10, but I still consistently encounter paid apps that crash or lock up (Wikipedia, for example).

My sister downloads more apps than I do on her HTC Incredible and seems to bat the same %s, my brother sees the same %s as I do on his iPhone.

It may be give or take an app or two there, but do I really care when I download 2-6 apps a month? Thats noise.

So how can I get all high and mighty about my iPhone when its got the same garbage the Android market does?
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

Now I just need a Price

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Well the first two have nothing to do with the function of a phone... Whats more is, atleast Samsung, is not cheap plastic, the glass on the Galaxy is better than what Apple buys.
    The glass in the iPhone is Corning the same thats in galaxy phones.
    iPhone 4 Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit

As far as the App market goes, I am at the point now where I can't even take that argument seriously.
    All the apps on the app store are compatible with my 4S, If i got a GS2 or a 3 when it comes out will that be the case?

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me, its like saying a painting you painted doesn't look good. Why did you paint it that way then?
    Did you know Jony Ive was knighted for his work as a designer?
    http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/30/2...knighted-in-uk

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ApplePope View Post
    All the apps on the app store are compatible with my 4S, If i got a GS2 or a 3 when it comes out will that be the case?
    As long as the App has been optimist for 4.0, yes

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisthemp View Post
    As long as the App has been optimist for 4.0, yes
    So the thousands of apps that aren't optimised won't work? okay then

INTJ

So the thousands of apps that aren't optimised won't work? okay then
    happens with any major software update really.

some stuff doesn't work when you upgrade OS's. just like how Diablo 2 wasn't supported by mac osx lion when apple pushed it out. the companies/groups working on the program then have to make it work for the new OS.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Off topic but whenever Doom see's Applepope's sig, I get reminded of Walter White from Breaking Bad.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

PRO Member

The glass in the iPhone is Corning the same thats in galaxy phones.
    iPhone 4 Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit
    Yup, you linked me something with rumors.

There has been no confirmation that the iPhone uses Gorilla Glass atleast not by any source I trust, neither party (Apple or Gorilla) has confirmed they have a relationship. Corning does not list Apple as an adopter for anything.

On the contrary, at the announcement last year Jobs said they use a type of "Sapphire Glass," which any big watch fan will tell you means the hardened mineral glass you find in high end watches. Its a nice glass, don't get me wrong. I have 3 watches that use it, its sturdy and very scratch resistant. Thing is its very prone to out and out shatter when stressed. Thats why Gorilla Glass is so popular, residual compressive stresses keep that from happening by forcing the molecules together (quite literally they push eachother like a bunch of people outside a club).

Gorilla Glass has its own trade-off that comes with this, but the resiliency and flexibility this brings is worth it.

That depends on what you mean...

iOS and Android don't talk, so you can't port apps back and forth. If you are talking about fragmentation, then the answer is yes. It just not the case going the other way (i.e. to older phones with newer versions).

But both systems have that problem, the older iPhones can't run all the apps in the app store either.

Ultimately though, this had nothing to do with my point. Both stores have the same relative % of garbage apps, and both OSs have issues with some apps.

Also, I pointed out (as I linked in an earlier article) Android market is comprised about 56% of free apps vs. App store's 28%, something (much like fragmentation) that is being used to demonize the OS.

Its ok though, you can continue to demonize it... Ultimately it will outlive the iOS, the one thing Android can do that the iOS never will is open enough to be ported.

Did you know Jony Ive was knighted for his work as a designer?
    Apple's Jony Ive knighted in UK | The Verge
    I did not, but he is a brilliant designer. Apple has seen some major benefit from that guy's work, his designs are incredibly elegant and very timeless. He is one of the unsung heroes of Apple's current success because people like you worship Jobs so much.

What does this have to do with anything though? He is an awesome designer, should be on the short list for "Best Industrial Designer of this generation."

What does this have to do with UIs and customization though? Thats all software driven.
    Last edited by Gauss; 01-27-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

dragon glass is best glass though

gorilla glass is second best

iphone glass is terrible

I did not, but he is a brilliant designer. Apple has seen some major benefit from that guy's work, his designs are incredibly elegant and very timeless. He is one of the unsung heroes of Apple's current success because people like you worship Jobs so much.

What does this have to do with anything though? He is an awesome designer, should be on the short list for "Best Industrial Designer of this generation."

What does this have to do with UIs and customization though? Thats all software driven.

more fun facts about designs, apple uses the golden ratio in almost everything they do.

https://paulmmartinblog.wordpress.co...-golden-ratio/

Lvl 4 - Silver

Yup, you linked me something with rumors.

There has been no confirmation that the iPhone uses Gorilla Glass atleast not by any source I trust, neither party (Apple or Gorilla) has confirmed they have a relationship. Corning does not list Apple as an adopter for anything.
    I didn't link anything to forums, that is only the 3rd page of the iFixit teardown

Look at step 22

iPhone 4 Retina Display Protected by Corning Gorilla Glass

iPhone 4 teardown reveals 512MB RAM, Gorilla Glass & costly screen replacement - SlashGear

Get bent...

I didn't link anything to forums, that is only the 3rd page of the iFixit teardown

Look at step 22

iPhone 4 Retina Display Protected by Corning Gorilla Glass

iPhone 4 teardown reveals 512MB RAM, Gorilla Glass & costly screen replacement - SlashGear
    Learn to read.

Gauss didn't say anything about forums.

He pointed out that all you did was supply links with "rumors".

You also just proved his point by posting these links & pics above.

"The front glass panel is reported to be constructed of Corning Gorilla Glass"

You fail again.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    Learn to read.

Gauss didn't say anything about forums.

He pointed out that all you did was supply links with "rumors".

You also just proved his point by posting these links & pics above.

"The front glass panel is reported to be constructed of Corning Gorilla Glass"

You fail again.

Shit, I guess that's what get for reading off of my phone

INTJ

Shit, I guess that's what get for reading off of my phone
    so your phone won't let you do everything nicely

thats nice to know

maybe you should get a phone with a bigger screen

possibly a samsung galaxy sIII when it comes out
    Last edited by Ps360; 01-29-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I don't think that I would need to upgrade my Galaxy S2 just to get quad core CPU as S2 is already as powerful as I need but better screen, camera and BATTERY would be good addition to Galaxy series phones.