Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Samsung is now the #1 Smartphone maker worldwide

This is a discussion on Samsung is now the #1 Smartphone maker worldwide within the Android forum, part of the PC; Samsung Beats Apple as 2011's No.1 Smartphone Maker | News & Opinion | PCMag.com With 37 million iPhones sold, it's ...

INTJ

Samsung is now the #1 Smartphone maker worldwide

Samsung Beats Apple as 2011's No.1 Smartphone Maker | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

With 37 million iPhones sold, it's no suprise that Apple dominated the smartphone market during the fourth quarter, but for 2011 as a whole, Samsung managed to edge out Cupertino as the year's top smartphone manufacturer.

According to separate reports from Strategy Analytics and IHS Suppli, Samsung's Galaxy line of devices help push it past Apple's iPhone last year as the battle between Android and iOS continued.

Samsung shipped 95 million smartphones in 2011, an "explosive" increase of 278 percent from 25 million in 2010, iSuppli said.
    "Samsung advanced in 2011 because of its strategy of offering a complete line of smartphone products, spanning a variety of price points, features and operating systems," Wayne Lam, a senior analyst of wireless communications at IHS, said in a statement. "This enabled Samsung to move past perennial market leader Nokia and to slightly exceed Apple's total for the year."

There were reports yesterday that Samsung would not be launching the Samsung Galaxy S III at next month's Mobile World Congress. When asked about that during an earnings call this morning, Samsung vice president Younghee Lee said "we are still reviewing several options [about] when to launch, so we'll let you know when it's decided," according to SammyHub.com.

Apple still came in number two with 93 million smartphones shipped, thanks to the October releease of the iPhone 4S, up from 47 million in 2010.

But while Android-based Samsung devices thrived, similar devices from Motorola and Sony Ericsson did not fare as well.
    "The relatively small growth of Sony Ericsson and Motorola may indicate that the Android smartphone market is becoming too crowded as the various licensees compete for limited consumer mindshare and shelf space," Lam said.

Strategy Analytics reached similar conclusions.

"While Apple took the top spot in smartphones on a quarterly basis, Samsung became the market leader in annual terms for the first time with 20 percent global share during 2011," Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics, said in a statement. "With global smartphone shipments nearing half a billion units in 2011, Samsung is now well positioned alongside Apple in a two-horse race at the forefront of one of the world's largest and most valuable consumer electronics markets."

Nokia, meanwhile, took a dive as it worked to produce the Windows Phone-based Lumias, which debuted at the end of 2011.
    "Nokia's global smartphone market share halved from 33 percent in 2010 to 16 percent in 2011," said Tom Kang, Strategy Analytics director. "A lackluster touch-screen smartphone portfolio and a limited presence in the huge United States market caused Nokia's shrinkage last year.

Nokia's partnership with Microsoft will be very much in focus during 2012, and the industry will be watching closely to see how swiftly the two companies can expand in the high-value 4G LTE market that is rapidly emerging across the United States, Japan and elsewhere."

Nokia said yesterday that it has sold more than 1 million Lumia devices since their debut. The low-end Lumia 710 arrived in the U.S. earlier this month, while the high-end Lumia 900 is expected in the coming months.

it's obvious who is dominating

not to mention they made 42 billion in profit last quarter

The One and Only

I still want a smartphone, but I would have to do some research in advantages and disadvantages before I make a decision which company to buy from instead of this data in particular.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I still want a smartphone, but I would have to do some research in advantages and disadvantages before I make a decision which company to buy from instead of this data in particular.
    You should move to the samsung phones.

they are the top of the line, you can wait for the Samsung galaxy S3 to be announced or get a Samsung galaxy S2 right now. they are pretty much the best phones on the market right now.

Apple tends to rip ideas off their phones that's how good they are

Burned out...

I'm glad I have used Galaxy S II, after my contract expire, I'll get Galaxy S III

Avatar & Signature made by dsluckay / GDT bar by djunglist / PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

they are the top of the line, you can wait for the Samsung galaxy S3 to be announced or get a Samsung galaxy S2 right now. they are pretty much the best phones on the market right now.

As long as there's both a virtual keyboard and a physical keyboard, It doesn't really matter to me which I choose

What about the technical aspects of it?

DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Go Blue Jackets!!

I'll never buy a smart phone. They're the biggest waste of money.

Honestly, who needs to spend $30+ a month on things you could do for free with an ipod touch? I still have my Envy 1 (4 years running)
    I don't own a PS3 anymore because my games of gaming have come to an end...

Kiwi Defender

Very nice! Here's hoping they do even better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWLZilla View Post
    I'll never buy a smart phone. They're the biggest waste of money.

Honestly, who needs to spend $30+ a month on things you could do for free with an ipod touch? I still have my Envy 1 (4 years running)
    You don't even need to have an iPod Touch actually. You could just buy some cheap phone and that's more than enough to make and receive calls/messages. Afterall, what are phones for?

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

As long as there's both a virtual keyboard and a physical keyboard, It doesn't really matter to me which I choose

What about the technical aspects of it?
    why would you want a physical keyboard. the touchscreen keyboard is really good.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is one of the most powerful phones on the market right now, the S3 will overtake that with a quad core processor (rumored) and tons of other upgrades involving screens and stuff.

Go Blue Jackets!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Afterall, what are phones for?
    Its for playing angry birds and cut the rope? DUH.
    I don't own a PS3 anymore because my games of gaming have come to an end...

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by LAWLZilla View Post
    Its for playing angry birds and cut the rope? DUH.
    Yeah, and the Wii was made with the intention of holding papers in their place.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I somewhat regret getting a blackberry now... Seeing as RIM is going to die really soon. But the up side is that i didnt get everything for it because when I went to switch my phone RIM had started their decent from the top. I just have text and calls, which is all i need. I got a blackberry because 1. Im not one for touch screen keyboards, and 2. the other phones were androids, really crappy phones, or really expensive phones. So it was an okay option... :/

The One and Only

why would you want a physical keyboard. the touchscreen keyboard is really good.
    My fingers are kinda fat

DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

INTJ

My fingers are kinda fat
    doesnt matter really.

Lvl 5 - Silver

The Samsung slate is looking sick, I can't wait to see all the things it can do.

PRO Member

i got a Evo but the next phone i go to will be the Samsung phone

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

My fingers are kinda fat
    I have fat stubby fingers and have no problem texting without a physical keyboard on the iPhone... That being said the difference between the iPhone and the Galaxy series isn't enough to argue about unless you want to get all nerdy about it...

Personally I would go with whatver you can get for a better price...
    like ps360 said, apple tends to copy things from samsung, but I had $170 in itunes money to spend and got the 4S as a gift so I went with the iPhone

Sig & Avy by DaRe_xLw

Galaxy beauty pirate

I thought that Apple was accusing Samsung for ripping ideas..
    Anyway, good news for Samsung. Must say my Galaxy S plus is the best phone I had so far.

Quartercircle Forward.

''ApplePope, I choose you!''

J/k, but seriously, I'm glad they are. Apple in my opinion are very overpriced. It feels like I made huge mistake forking out €500 for an iPhone back in 2009.

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oogadebob View Post
    like ps360 said, apple tends to copy things from samsung, but I had $170 in itunes money to spend and got the 4S as a gift so I went with the iPhone
    it's called doubletwist

easily sync your itunes library with Android phones.

Enjoy your Music, Video, Radio & iTunes on Android - doubleTwist

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I thought that Apple was accusing Samsung for ripping ideas..
    Anyway, good news for Samsung. Must say my Galaxy S plus is the best phone I had so far.
    The samsung galaxy S2 became a target for apple because it had alot more awesome stuff on it than the iPhone 4.

then when suddenly the iPhone 4S was revealed it had everything the Samsung galaxy S2 had except for a amazing screen and worse data sending/receving.
    Last edited by Ps360; 01-30-2012 at 08:55 PM.

PRO Member

I am buying an S3 when they come out, their supposed release date is right around when I am due for my upgrade.

I've enjoyed my iPhone, and actually as a piece of tech it is real nice (as are most Apple products), nothing special, but they are very well put together. I just can't take Apple's business practices anymore, I am transitioning out of my iPhone for that reason and that reason alone.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast