Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Company Reveals Ouya: a $99 Fully Hackable Game console running android

This is a discussion on Company Reveals Ouya: a $99 Fully Hackable Game console running android within the Android forum, part of the PC; Ouya: a $99 hackable Android game console designed by Yves Behar | The Verge We don't often report on startups ...

INTJ

Company Reveals Ouya: a $99 Fully Hackable Game console running android

Ouya: a $99 hackable Android game console designed by Yves Behar | The Verge

We don't often report on startups without a physical product to their name, but when you've got sponsors like Ouya does, it's hard not to pay attention. According to a posting on AngelList, Ouya has recruited the talents of Yves Behar to build a $99 Android game console that you can connect to a TV, with a high-concept developer ecosystem that's as free as can be. Any developer will be able to publish games, claims the listing, and all games will be free to play. Even the underlying hardware is "built to be hacked" every customer who buys a retail box will get a dev kit in the bargain, the site claims.

As we alluded to earlier, though, it's not just Jawbone Jambox and One Laptop Per Child designer Yves Behar who's on board. The project's advisors also include Ed Fries of Xbox fame, Amol Sarva of Peek, Peter Pham of Color, and counts Julie Uhrman of IGN as its founder and CEO. There's also a gentleman named Muffi Ghadiali, who appears to be leaving Amazon's Lab126 where he helped ship Kindle. At $99, the Ouya would be playing in the same space as Google TV boxes like Vizio's Co-Star, but we're eager to see what games Ouya might attract. We're on the lookout for more details and hope to have them for you soon.

Pics:

INTJ

Kickstarter went up

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console by OUYA — Kickstarter

donating $99 gets you a Ouya

"This has the potential to be the game developer’s console. It's about time!" -- Brian Fargo (founder of inXile)

“Who wouldn't want a beautiful piece of industrial design that sells for $99, plugs straight into your TV, and gives you access to a huge library of games?" – Jordan Mechner (creator of Prince of Persia, Karateka)

“If OUYA delivers on the promise of being the first true open gaming platform that gives indie developers access to the living room gaming market, yes that is a great idea. We will follow the development of OUYA and see how it resonates with gamers. I could see all current Mojang games go on the platform if there's a demand for it.” – Mojang (developer of Minecraft)

"I'm excited for OUYA! I am a firm believer that there is always room to challenge the status quo." -- Jenova Chen (thatgamecompany, creator of flOw, Cloud, and Flower)

“The prospect of an affordable, open console -- that's an idea I find really exciting.” -- Adam Saltsman (Semi Secret, creator of Canabalt)

"Our games will work so well on a TV, we just need an easy way to get them there. OUYA could be it." -- Marek Rabas (Madfinger Games)

"An open game console that gives independent game developers the flexibility to experiment with their games and business models on the TV, is something that's long overdue." – David Edery (Spry Fox, creator of Triple Town)

Where The Wind Blows

Pretty excited for this. First off, I always thought the "Plug and Play" was something that should get a 21st century makeover, and this looks like the perfect way to go about it. To capture the free to play mobile philosophy for the big screen is genius. What really keeps me from being cynical, though, is the quotes they've gathered in support. Mojang and thatgamecompany are two names I trust to be innovative forces, so if they bring new games or even ports to this thing, I'm going to be looking into it further.

I do think, to some degree, its success will depend on how strict they are about how much of the experience is free-to-play. Will demos suffice? I'm worried that if they ask for all developers to have entire f2p modes, they won't get much backing. Those things aren't cheap to develop.

Either way I hope this project meets its goal, if only to see how the market reacts to such a radical new type of 'home console'.

Click for some context for this signature. It rotates the lyric every time it's reloaded!

illegal in 9 countries

I just saw this on Gamespot - Ouya console Kickstarter tops $1 million in 12 hours - GameSpot.com

They smashed out the Kickstarter funding in 12 hours, second only to the Double Fine Adventure game and are rapidly closing in on the $2 million mark.

Sounds like an indie developer and homebrewer's wet dream. It's also the solution to adding traditional controls to mobile games, so expect to see the best of iOS and Android gaming on Ouya.

Pledged. Launch numbers are limited so get on it now if you want one of these puppies!

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Pledged. Launch numbers are limited so get on it now if you want one of these puppies!
    i want to so bad but i don't know if i can spend that much right now

aaaaaaaaaaagh fuck you ouya for being right next to the steam summer sale

Lvl 1 - Bronze

It looks slightly interesting, but it also seems like it's just going to be Indie Android Apps for games. It will be more interesting watching all the things everyone will do with it if it's completely hackable/moddable/homebrewable and such. I'll definitely keep an eye on this.
    Thanks to In2 for the sweet sig and avatar!
    Feel free to send me a friends request on here or on PSN. Blank requests will NOT be accepted.

INTJ

fuck it all i want is arma 2 and the expansion pack on the steam sale

Platinum Procrastinator

I just saw this on Gamespot - Ouya console Kickstarter tops $1 million in 12 hours - GameSpot.com

They smashed out the Kickstarter funding in 12 hours, second only to the Double Fine Adventure game and are rapidly closing in on the $2 million mark.

Sounds like an indie developer and homebrewer's wet dream. It's also the solution to adding traditional controls to mobile games, so expect to see the best of iOS and Android gaming on Ouya.

I saw a similar post on IGN a few hours ago and came here to see if there was a thread about it. I tried to pledge and get the $225 offer but when I wanted to move to the next step it had already been sold out. Anyways, I pledged enough to get the next best offer and threw in the additional $30 for an extra controller. I'm pretty excited about this and can't wait to see how it turns out. By the sounds of it, they already have a lot of interested people behind it.

Also, as of this post, they've already crossed the 2 million dollar mark.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

illegal in 9 countries

Project update - Ouya obviously underestimated interest in their product. They're working on stretch goals and will post in the next few days.

They'll also need to revise their pledge limits if they have a hope of keeping up with demand. They can probably easily hit the $10 million mark, which will make the early-bird Kickstarter deals even more interesting if the hardware and OS gets a power boost.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

Project update - Ouya obviously underestimated interest in their product. They're working on stretch goals and will post in the next few days.

They'll also need to revise their pledge limits if they have a hope of keeping up with demand. They can probably easily hit the $10 million mark, which will make the early-bird Kickstarter deals even more interesting if the hardware and OS gets a power boost.
    3.3 million is the kickstarter record

ill be surprised if they knock that out of the park

edit:

nevermind, they just got 2 million, underestimated

There should be a stretch goal where everyone who has ordered a ouya gets a username etched on it. because i don't feel like paying $225 for one.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    3.3 million is the kickstarter record

ill be surprised if they knock that out of the park

edit:

nevermind, they just got 2 million, underestimated

There should be a stretch goal where everyone who has ordered a ouya gets a username etched on it. because i don't feel like paying $225 for one.
    I'm surprised that you were originally going to be surprised if they beat the 3.3 million dollar record. As of right now, they're already at 2.854 million and still have 28 days to go.

Also I agree with you about the stretch goal. However, I was willing to pay the $225 amount but they had already sold out. Now I'm a little worried about actually getting one as I fell into the $95 donation bracket and they have it listed as 80,000 backers available with less than 20,000 remaining. that's well over 61,000 units they plan on shipping eventually from the Kickstarter project alone.

Edit, I just refreshed the Kickstarter page and their pledge amount jumped from 2.854 million to 2.866 million in the time it took me to write this post. That's a difference of 12 thousand dollars in roughly a minute lol.

INTJ

$3,178,426 currently

Platinum Procrastinator

Now its sitting at $3,325,068. Looks like its going to smash the previous records. Also, they added more stretch goals and have upped the amount of $225 backers from 500 to 2000.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Now its sitting at $3,325,068. Looks like its going to smash the previous records. Also, they added more stretch goals and have upped the amount of $225 backers from 500 to 2000.
    Change your pledge and you'll get one. I personally don't see the value of spending the extra dough for the etching.

The bump to the $95 package is a huge 60,000 units. It was originally 20,000 and that dried up within a day.

Resident PHD

This is incredible. For 300-500$ a year you can sponsor a child in a 3rd world country to get clean water, school supplies and food. Yet people would rather spend their money on a hackable system so they can play a bunch of indy games (that could be played on a PC).

Not trying to make anyone feel bad, but 3 million dollars is a lot of money.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    This is incredible. For 300-500$ a year you can sponsor a child in a 3rd world country to get clean water, school supplies and food. Yet people would rather spend their money on a hackable system so they can play a bunch of indy games (that could be played on a PC).

For $300 to $500 a year you can sponsor a 3rd world country warlord to steal food from a starving child. $3 million is a drop in the ocean compared to the wasted resources dumped into charities.

Put whatever spin you want on the Ouya, focusing in the 'hackable' phrasing is a small part of the bigger picture. Hackable in this instance simply means open source and embracing homebrew. My interest is in how this may spark Android app development into action, end of story.

Its plugged into the wall

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post

If you're trying to make people feel bad, then you probably shouldn't have posted that post. Besides that moral can be forced on anything... Hey instead of you investing money on Carnival Island and YooStar 2 you could have saved a child. If you have lived on bland rice, instead of going to that fancy restaurant, you could have helped a child. If you had bought an OUYA instead of a PS3, you could have helped a child. You can put it on anything really.

This is what people think the gaming industry needs. Is it selfish... I guess, but before you judge ANY of these people show me the now countless of times, where you priortised a child in Africa over your own leisure.

EDIT: On topic though, I'm VERY tempted to buy the 120 dollar offer (for international shipping). Maybe a 30 extra for another controller.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Resident PHD

For $300 to $500 a year you can sponsor a 3rd world country warlord to steal food from a starving child. Put whatever spin you want on the Ouya, focusing in the 'hackable' phrasing is a small part of the bigger picture.

Hackable in this instance simply means open source and homebrew. My interest is in how this may spark Android app development into action, end of story.
    No I get what it is, but this whole kickstarter thing kind of sickens me because people are so willing to fork over money yet I just came back from Ukraine where the mission we stayed at doesn't have enough money to give 3 meals a day out and doesn't have clothes to give away to the poor. I sponsor a family in Ukraine (so they are doing ok) but the rest of their village is so poor they can't afford an ambulance (because the government steals all the money). When you donate you have to know who you are giving to (which is why things like the Haiti relief fund was such a joke because that money just went to the wrong people).

The thing is there are millions of people starving around the world, but people don't care unless it is fashionable (see my Haiti reference), yet they have no problem forking over large amount of money to a company so they can have another gaming console, or another indy game.

I just find it all really sad. Rant over, enjoy your new console.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    If you're trying to make people feel bad, then you probably shouldn't have posted that post. Besides that moral can be forced on anything... Hey instead of you investing money on Carnival Island and YooStar 2 you could have saved a child. If you have lived on bland rice, instead of going to that fancy restaurant, you could have helped a child. If you had bought an OUYA instead of a PS3, you could have helped a child. You can put it on anything really.

This is what people think the gaming industry needs. Is it selfish... I guess, but before you judge ANY of these people show me the now countless of times, where you priortised a child in Africa over your own leisure.

EDIT: On topic though, I'm VERY tempted to buy the 120 dollar offer (for international shipping). Maybe a 30 extra for another controller.
    One, most of my games are free because they are demo games.

2. I sponsor an entire family in Ukraine and a family in Peru (both of which I have visited and they are doing much better and are now able to take some of my money and help out the rest of the village).

On top of that all my Christmas gifts and birthday gifts for the past 10 years have been donations to my sponsor families (so I don't receive presents anymore)

Finally I spend my Christmas bonus buying presents for families around my city.

illegal in 9 countries

This isn't the forum for it mayus.

I contribute to worthy causes like sending school supplies to children in Vanuatu where I know the money actually fulfills it's intended purposes instead of propping up corrupt governments, but I don't piss on someone else's picnic on a gaming forum to do it.

Thanks for the judgment though. Enjoy the view from your high horse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast