Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The coolest watch ever runs Android, introducing the I'M Watch

This is a discussion on The coolest watch ever runs Android, introducing the I'M Watch within the Android forum, part of the PC; I'm Watch Bluetooth smartwatch prototype demonstrated on video | The Verge Today we're feeling confident enough in the product to ...

PRO Member

The coolest watch ever runs Android, introducing the I'M Watch

I'm Watch Bluetooth smartwatch prototype demonstrated on video | The Verge

Today we're feeling confident enough in the product to share Blue Sky's latest promotional video after seeing a working prototype (pictured above) put on display at the ARM TechCon 2011 show in Santa Clara, California. Like the Kindle Fire, I'm Watch is built around a custom version of Android, version 1.6 in this case.

The watch features a 1.54-inch curved capacitive TFT LCD with 240 x 240 pixel resolution, a first of its kind according to the company. It's powered by a Freescale IMX233 application processor with 64MB of RAM and 4GB of flash storage for your media. It also packs in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR for smartphone tethering and a 450mAh Li-Po battery that lasts about three hours on speakerphone use or up to two days in standby. Naturally, it also includes a mic, speaker, and headphone jack. Note, the I'm Watch, like Sony Ericsson's LiveView, does not include a cellular radio (or SIM slot). The company claims compatibility with iPhone 3GS (with iOS 4.3 or superior), iPhone 4 / 4S, "Android phones" (all of them?), and then Blackberry and Windows Phone 7 sometime in 2012.

Sounds great, right? Unfortunately, the prototype used for demonstration purposes suffers from some noticeable lag and failed touch registrations. Neither the industrial design nor the UI are as smooth and slick as the video renders make it appear. While we're hoping for the best, we're also keeping our wallets firmly in our trousers until we can get hands-on with a production device closer to the January 2012 launch date. Prices start at €299 for the base I'm Color model before topping out at €9,999 for a jewel encrusted version. The company is also planning an I'music subscription music service with on-demand access to "millions of songs," custom radio stations, and personalized playlists. I'market is, as you'd expect, an app store for downloading apps suitable to the device's tiny display. To call the undertaking "ambitious" would be a gross understatement.

The company plans to provide additional details at CES 2012. Until then, check out the prototype video below from our friend Charbax.
    Look, put the petty smartphone war aside because frankly its stupid.

Stuff like this is just COOL!

I'm a huge watch fan and while this won't ever replace my Tissot or Skagen, I'm getting it because its a very awesome watch. It runs Android and will have access to some limited apps, I'll be able to do things like text from my watch... Its just flipping sweet.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

but i have a watch on my phone

what is the point of this

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

It's a watch, I think the fact it's just that invalidates anything a phone could throw at it.

Enjoy the little things ~

JINTRAy

You can only guess where I am...my mother's basement

This watch actually does sound pretty cool.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Get bent...

What's a watch?

KCCO!

Looks kind of bulky to be honest. I'm not completely sold on this watch.

PRO Member

Watches are just cool, they exude a sense of personal style not possible with a cell-phone, not to mention they are the perfect union of both art and engineering.

A good watch has to be both visually striking and stylish, but completely functional.

Not a single phone on this earth holds a candle to a good Tissot, Omega, TAG, or even a Citizens or Skagen in terms of style... Yet all are completely functional and serve a clear purpose.

This is a watch for the high-end gadget lover. Being able to send a text without pulling my phone out of my pocket is pretty flipping cool.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Platinum Dohvakiin

The idea is cool. The fact that it's a watch makes it even cooler. But it's kind of big/bulky....no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

That's not a watch. That's a clock.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

Platinum Procrastinator

I like it as I love watches but I have champagne taste on a beer budget Well I use to anyways. Now that I can afford pretty much any watch I want, I know I'll feel bad if I throw down over $1,000 on a watch. However, with those ranging from $299 and up, I might actually get one.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Kiwi Defender

I have no need to text people from my watch, I have a cheap phone for that. I also find no need to pay that much for a watch.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

ILoveU4Life

The design looks good, as I'm into flash/colourful watches but I don't really see the point of it so I'm not going 2 be buying one of these anytime soon...

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

ILoveU4Life

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I have no need to text people from my watch, I have a cheap phone for that. I also find no need to pay that much for a watch.
    Exactly what I was thinking.....

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Lvl 6 - Silver

I could buy a watch that serves the exact purpose of showing the time for under 20 or even 15. I just don't see the point in packing so much technology into a watch.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post
    I could buy a watch that serves the exact purpose of showing the time for under 20 or even 15. I just don't see the point in packing so much technology into a watch.
    I assume it's the same thing that happened with cellphones: the more shit it can do, the more it will sell thanks to people wanting to brag about how much shit their watch/phone can do.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

I bought myself one of these (LunaTik) and my wife one of these (TikTok) plus the white and black watch bands for Xmas.

The TikTok watchbands house iPod nanos which aren't anywhere near as powerful as the Android watch, but are cool in their own right.

My 16GB Nano is perma-mounted in the LunaTik for use primarily as a watch and on-hand flash drive, which I consistently forget to take to meetings. I also carry my iPad 2 in one of these suckers - ClamCase iPad 2 Keyboard Case - Trooper which impresses clients no end.

My wife's 16GB Nano pops in and out of the TikTok bands so she can match the watch to her outfit, or wear the Nano on her training gear or on her hip at work.

By the way, if you're into tech gadgets, keep an eye on Kickstarter. This is next on my hit list - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-of-the-stylus. I have a couple of other stylus for my iPad, but they're pants in comparison.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I bought myself one of these (LunaTik) and my wife one of these (TikTok) plus the white and black watch bands for Xmas.

The TikTok watchbands house iPod nanos which aren't anywhere near as powerful as the Android watch, but are cool in their own right.

My 16GB Nano is perma-mounted in the LunaTik for use primarily as a watch and on-hand flash drive, which I consistently forget to take to meetings. I also carry my iPad 2 in one of these suckers - ClamCase iPad 2 Keyboard Case - Trooper which impresses clients no end.

My wife's 16GB Nano pops in and out of the TikTok bands so she can match the watch to her outfit, or wear the Nano on her training gear or on her hip at work.

By the way, if you're into tech gadgets, keep an eye on Kickstarter. This is next on my hit list - LunaTik Touch Pen: The Evolution of the Stylus by Scott Wilson + MINIMAL — Kickstarter. I have a couple of other stylus for my iPad, but they're pants in comparison.
    Never heard of any of that before but I really like the look of the anniversary edition watch and pen. If I had an iPod nano, I'd be inclined to order a watch right now. However, I'm planning on getting either an iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy II S within the next few days anyways so I'll have no need to buy an iPod nano seeing as both phones can hold and play songs. However, in saying that, I still wouldn't mind getting a new watch as the ones I currently have are nothing like either of those shown in this thread.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Lets all remember it did state that this was a prototype watch. So hopefully they find a way to make it less bulky. But other than that good find on the cool watch.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Never heard of any of that before but I really like the look of the anniversary edition watch and pen. If I had an iPod nano, I'd be inclined to order a watch right now.
    I had no intention to get an iPod Nano, but the LunaTik watch-bands convinced me to buy one. Apparently I'm in the 80% of TikTok owners who buy a Nano as a watch because the band is so cool.

I'm tempted to get the Anniversary Edition myself as a more formal alternative to my camouflage LunaTik.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I had no intention to get an iPod Nano, but the LunaTik watch-bands convinced me to buy one. Apparently I'm in the 80% of TikTok owners who buy a Nano as a watch because the band is so cool.

I'm tempted to get the Anniversary Edition myself as a more formal alternative to my camouflage LunaTik.
    Well thanks to you and your links I just donated $230 to help them fund their next project and am looking forward to receiving the anniversary edition watch and stylist. Now I'll probably go out and buy an iPod nano as well. Also, that was the first time I've heard of the kickstart website and think its a pretty awesome way to finance projects without the use of a bank loan.

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread Gauss as the watch you posted in the link does look cool and I'm interested in getting one down the road.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Well thanks to you and your links I just donated $230 to help them fund their next project and am looking forward to receiving the anniversary edition watch and stylist. Now I'll probably go out and buy an iPod nano as well. Also, that was the first time I've heard of the kickstart website and think its a pretty awesome way to finance projects without the use of a bank loan.

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread Gauss as the watch you posted in the link does look cool and I'm interested in getting one down the road.
    To innovation... ...no matter which side of the Apple / Android fence you sit.

Kickstarter rocks my socks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast