Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iPhone 5 Scratches very VERY easily, Apple doesn't care.

This is a discussion on iPhone 5 Scratches very VERY easily, Apple doesn't care. within the Apple forum, part of the PC; iPhone 5 owners report scuffs and scratches out of the box | The Verge When Apple VP Phil Schiller took ...

INTJ

iPhone 5 Scratches very VERY easily, Apple doesn't care.

iPhone 5 owners report scuffs and scratches out of the box | The Verge

When Apple VP Phil Schiller took the stage on September 12th to talk about the company’s new iPhone 5 hardware he went on at length about the exacting level of precision that goes into its manufacture. But despite Apple's insistence that its tolerances are measured in microns, several iPhone 5 owners are reporting that their new devices are arriving with a variety of scuffs and scrapes out of the box (myself included, pictured above).

The company’s record-breaking sales numbers certainly don’t make it easy to guess at how widespread the issue is, but an informal poll in the MacRumors forums indicates that out of some 1260 respondents, more than a third are reporting some kind of damage. The source of the scuffs (pictured below) is anyone’s guess, but as All Things D points out, the iPhone 5’s case is made out of anodized (i.e., coated) aluminum, which, while being lighter than the stainless steel used in the iPhone 4 and 4S, is also softer and appears to be more susceptible to scratching. It's worth noting that HTC used a comparable oxidized finish for its One S handset — a phone whose users reported having similar cosmetic issues.

So far, Apple hasn't commented on the issue, but if you’re one of the unlucky buyers stuck with a scratched phone (and you’re not into the whole "worn in" look), it may be worth taking your device in to a local Apple Store and asking for an exchange. And if you haven't yet picked yours up, we'd suggest giving it a thorough look-over in the store before heading home with your new phone.

Apple Marketing SVP comments on iPhone 5 scratches and chips: ‘That is normal’ for aluminum products | 9to5Mac

We just received (and verified headers of) an email exchange from a 9to5Mac reader to Senior Vice President of Marketing Phil Schiller, where the Apple executive gave his take on the small amount of scratches and chips that black iPhone 5 users have experienced. Our reader noted his black iPhone 5 saw some “scuffs, scratches and marks” around the band, and he wondered if Apple had any plans to fix or address the issue. Schiller responded:

Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal.
    As found in some durability tests, the black iPhone 5′s back tends to scratch much easier than its glass-backed iPhone 4/4S predecessors. However, the aluminum back obviously stands up to drops much better than glass. When given the option, I would probably take the scratches.

We can also confirm Schiller is up and answering customer emails at 6:13 a.m. PST.

Meanwhile Average Apple User Intelligence shows again on macrumors, claiming that it isn't bad and it's a Nice feature

http://i.imgur.com/VgDcG.png

and you wonder why samsung uses very durable plastic.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I always hit my phone with a bunch of keys....

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kalamatianos View Post
    I always hit my phone with a bunch of keys....
    Yes but people are getting scratched phones from the box it came in.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

What would you prefer?

Getting an iPhone 4s new that is cheaper now, or the iPhone 5?

"Could this be the end?... Is this the way I died?...
    Sitting here alone, no one by my side."

PRO Member

I wouldn't get this phone anyway, my phone doesn't need changing.. but this phone looks like it would damage easily, obviously I don't agree with the with what she did in the video but to be fair she did it to both phones.

Sig by Smashguy

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by elnath10 View Post
    What would you prefer?

Getting an iPhone 4s new that is cheaper now, or the iPhone 5?
    Galaxy S3, Upcoming nexus phone, or a Galaxy note 2.

PRO Member

Actually this test would apply to me, because I put my phone and keys in same front pocket... so when im walking around 12 hours of the day, the keys and phone are obviously banging against each other all day long. Im glad i dont have a iphone because that shit would be broken by now.
    Platinums: 29 (1st to last)
    COD5, Fallout 3, COD6, Demon Souls, Assassins Creed 2, MAG, Bad Company 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout New Vegas, Medal of Honor, COD7, Socom 4, Resident Evil 5, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Mass Effect 2, Killzone 3, Bioshock, Dead Rising 2, Uncharted 2, Trine, Resistance 3, Dead Island, Battlefield 3, DC Universe, Skyrim, Trine 2, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed Revelations, and Dragon Age 2.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by MafiaBrett View Post
    Actually this test would apply to me, because I put my phone and keys in same front pocket... so when im walking around 12 hours of the day, the keys and phone are obviously banging against each other all day long. Im glad i dont have a iphone because that shit would be broken by now.
    You know you COULD just use your other pockets
    http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...cipantID=34388

Everyone please donate to Extra Life if you can spare the money. It's a great cause.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlenderMan View Post
    You know you COULD just use your other pockets
    Nope, its like a OCD, Phone and keys alwasy in my right front pocket.. my left front pocket is always for my wallet and other types of paper. Then i refuse to put anything in my back pockets. As i said, its like a OCD.
    Platinums: 29 (1st to last)
    COD5, Fallout 3, COD6, Demon Souls, Assassins Creed 2, MAG, Bad Company 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout New Vegas, Medal of Honor, COD7, Socom 4, Resident Evil 5, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Mass Effect 2, Killzone 3, Bioshock, Dead Rising 2, Uncharted 2, Trine, Resistance 3, Dead Island, Battlefield 3, DC Universe, Skyrim, Trine 2, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed Revelations, and Dragon Age 2.

Lvl 4 - Silver

dear ps360, will you ever post something positive about apple and/or sony?

Quote Originally Posted by A random guy on youtube
    If you want to marry a Korean woman, you will have to beat their father in StarCraft first \(-.-\)

Platinum Procrastinator

I know I would be pissed if my new phone got scratched this easily. They definitely dropped the ball on the iPhone 5.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

★ Extra Astronomical ★

They'll sell more phone cases this way

Crocodile Hunter

hahahahahahahaha serves the fanboys right. its funny how they expect their cult leader to actually care what they think

Sig by Apokolypz

Angel of Death

Do you ever post positive Apple news? Just wondering.

And I still want to get one regardless.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    come on - Apple gets enough "oh my gawd they are the best company ever!" articles as it is.

Apple has had problems with their crap being very scratch prone since the ipod, so this doesn't surprise me in the least. Besides, most of these lemmings only own it for 12 months until they buy the new one with very minor updates.

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    come on - Apple gets enough "oh my gawd they are the best company ever!" articles as it is.
    Most if not all the Apple news on here is basically "Apple blows, Android is better." Not once have I seen a hate post on Android.

INTJ

if it's non-apple-biased news yes.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by jooakim View Post
    dear ps360, will you ever post something positive about apple and/or sony?
    Isn't such news justified?

The community's hate against PS360 is much worse than ps360's hate towards some companies

ADMlNlSTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by BlackListHunta View Post
    Isn't such news justified?

The community's hate against PS360 is much worse than ps360's hate towards some companies
    ^ This.

I think most people are butt-hurt knowing they're 'mindless consumers'

Ghost Assassin

I really didn't expect the build quality to be this bad; apple is just taking advantage of the consumer now.

When apple doesn't screw up with something, then I'm sure PS360 might consider posting something about them, but that's not likely to happen for a while. Why would you get it regardless? There are much better phones out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast