iPhone 5's Camera sucks, Apple says it's your fault.

This is a discussion on iPhone 5's Camera sucks, Apple says it's your fault. within the Apple forum, part of the PC; Apple Acknowledges iPhone 5 Camera Problem, Says You're Holding It Wrong After initially denying it, Apple has acknowledged the iPhone ...

INTJ

iPhone 5's Camera sucks, Apple says it's your fault.

Apple Acknowledges iPhone 5 Camera Problem, Says You're Holding It Wrong

After initially denying it, Apple has acknowledged the iPhone 5's purple flare camera problem in an email to a Gizmodo reader. Their solution: "Angle the camera away from the bright light source when taking pictures."
    Here's their complete answer:

Dear Matt,

Our engineering team just gave me this information and we recommend that you angle the camera away from the bright light source when taking pictures. The purple flare in the image provided is considered normal behavior for iPhone 5's camera. If you wish to reach me regarding this case number *********, please contact me at 1-877-***-**** ext. *******. I currently work Thursday-Monday: 7:00am - 3:30pm Mountain Time. If you reach my voicemail, please leave your name, phone number, case number and the best time to reach you. Email is ***********@apple.com.

Sincerely,
    Debby
    AppleCare Support

Long time Gizmodo reader Matt Van Gastel received this email after a long call with Apple support regarding the Purple Flare problem in his phone, which apparently is a feature common to every iPhone 5:

Initially I was told that it shouldn't happen and that it is strange. My call was escalated to a senior support individual who again said it was odd and shouldn't happen. I sent her some pics of the issue and she in turn sent them to the engineering team.

So it is final, folks: Apple says that, if your photos have a purple flare, this is totally normal behavior of the iPhone 5's camera. You are just holding it wrong.

Also, it's not Apple's fault that the Sun is purple. [Thanks Matt!]

Lvl 5 - Silver

Wtf? So they want you to take pictures in the dark now?

Ghost Assassin

This has got to be the worst iPhone yet, now the camera can't even filter out colors properly. It amazes me how people actually bought this phone.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Well the first 2 pictures prove that the old one didn't need to be held away from the light...

Word is Bond

Apple Phone 5 is the best phone. I seent one, they are pretty. No need to use the old Apple Phone 4 any more.

PRO Member

The Apple Iphone 5S with improved camera that can take photos in direct sunlight!!! Available in 6 months time.

Change is good

I personally think the second picture (the tree) looks awesome.

PRO Member

no steve jobbs no good iphone

Lvl 2 - Bronze

wow its true, at the beginning of this video,

Please, join the Korra club! http://sot.ag/4Lp2/

PRO Member

This is exactly the type of thing you should expect being an early adapter. New equipment/technology will always have its bugs. They will address the issue and correct it in the next software patch, more than likely.

Oh, and thank you to all those people that bought this phone so early to work out the issues for me. I will be picking this up n 6-12 months when it has been perfected and rendered obsolete

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bmj14772 View Post
    New equipment/technology will always have its bugs.
    the iphone 5 uses the same camera as the 4S

Ice Cream Firefighter

I think it's because they have been more concerned with the whole Samsung debacle than actually improving anything.

I can gladly say I have never given Apple even just $1 & it will stay that way I even won a ipad2 in a raffle & I dropped it in a lifeline bin

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Fight the Future

You want a good camera? Buy a camera. My camera takes higher quality pictures than any of the smart phones out, and my phone has better signal and quality than any smartphone out there, and both of them together cost less than a smartphone.

Rangers F.C

Honestly don't see the big deal with iphones
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Angel of Death

That is pretty lame, though the title is still bias, which you could have kept to the actual post. -_- Regardless, I don't think they will be able to fix that because it's hardware, but if it's the same as the 4S's camera, I have yet to have a problem like that.

PRO Member

After the debacle that was iOS6 on the iPhone 4 (I had 4 crashes in 2 weeks, text messages echoed on the network, etc), I finally did something I should have done years ago... I went full Android.

Whats funny is my Apple-nut friends tell me that this is "natural with the technology in digital cameras," and they yell at me when I point out that no digital camera in the market from a major brand-name has this problem, nor did the iPhone before it, nor does my Galaxy S3.

The iPhone 5 is actually the cheapest (by Apple's cost) of any iPhone to date (at the time of manufacturing, adjusted for inflation), that is why you're seeing this.

Apple has become Microsoft of the late-90s, they have an impenetrable monopoly now and they are starting to squeeze costs and quality in an effort to maximize profits.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    After the debacle that was iOS6 on the iPhone 4 (I had 4 crashes in 2 weeks, text messages echoed on the network, etc), I finally did something I should have done years ago... I went full Android. Whats funny is my Apple-nut friends tell me that this is "natural with the technology in digital cameras," and they yell at me when I point out that no digital camera in the market from a major brand-name has this problem, nor did the iPhone before it, nor does my Galaxy S3. The iPhone 5 is actually the cheapest (by Apple's cost) of any iPhone to date (at the time of manufacturing, adjusted for inflation), that is why you're seeing this. Apple has become Microsoft of the late-90s, they have an impenetrable monopoly now and they are starting to squeeze costs and quality in an effort to maximize profits.
    your friends are correct,and you are wrong,this is a common problem with digital cameras,other major brands on the market have had this problem,the iphone 4 had this problem,and the galaxy s3 also has this problem.its more pronouced on the iphone 5 though probably due to how thin the glass is.

JINTRAy

You can only guess where I am...my mother's basement

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Apple Phone 5 is the best phone. I seent one, they are pretty. No need to use the old Apple Phone 4 any more.
    Just helped me with my decision!

Totallie gettying an Iphone5

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

PRO Member

If you take a bad photo, it's your fault, not the camera's/phone's fault.

Apple was justified in there answer...not too sure about the purple sun.

Maybe at that exact moment when the picture was being taken a solar flare happenned and it was caught on camera.

This Matt guy should be thanking Apple for such an incredible camera to be taking shots of solar flares without any residual damage to the phone or camera itself.

BOO YAH

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay