Game Centre Approaching 2,000 games!

This is a discussion on Game Centre Approaching 2,000 games! within the Apple forum, part of the PC; When Apple launched Game Center earlier this year, many media outlets started to wonder if the company was about to ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Game Centre Approaching 2,000 games!

When Apple launched Game Center earlier this year, many media outlets started to wonder if the company was about to join the console market eventually. Many folks started to wonder if the combination of Apple TV, Game Center and the rest of the iOS devices would be strong enough to compete with the likes of PlayStation, Xbox and Wii.

I think thatís too much too ask at this point. But, one thing I learned a long time ago is to never underestimate Apple. Game Center seems to be growing at a good pace with almost 2,000 compatible games in the App Store already.

Apple introduced Game Center as a social gaming network with iOS 4.1 in September timeframe. In November, Apple released iOS 4.2 with Game Center compatibility for the iPad. In just over two months, the App Store is showing almost 2,000 games compatible with Game Center.

There are a variety of Game Center compatible games in the App Store. Developers have decided to implement different features across all apps. For example, one of my sonís favorite games, Fruit Ninja, allows him to enjoy full-featured online multiplayer options, matchmaking, as well as achivements and leaderboards. Other games simply provide access to leaderboards and your friendís scores.

Of course, Game Center needs much more time and work to be able to compete with the likes of Xbox Live and Playstation. If Apple wants to compete at that level, it will need to come out with a stronger gaming experience and a bigger inventory list to be able to face-off heavily developed console games such as Call of Duty and others. However, weíre seeing how companies like Epic have made the transition to iOS showcasing their technology and Appleís potential. In addition, Game Center has allowed lesser known developers to become creative and produce games for Appleís iOS devices.

Itís too early to tell where Apple will go next in the gaming segment. But, letís not overlook Appleís huge cash reserves. The company has plenty of cash for investments. Will they decide to build their own gaming platform? Will they decide to leverage Apple TV with the other iOS devices? Will they decide to buy someone like EA? We donít know. The point is that Apple has been testing the market, it has plenty of money, and the desire seems to be there.
    source: Game Center Approaching 2,000 Games at App Store – What’s Next? | PadGadget

INTJ

all these smartphone game intergration systems are quite terrible

game center, openfient, etc.

Ghost Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

Very true, that's why I don't use them.

ILoveU4Life

Definitely everybody around me seems to loving use them but i absolutely hate them, they just get annoying to use very quickly and boring too....

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Lvl 4 - Silver

Game centre is integrated into games along with achievements, online gameplay ect so how is it different to the likes of PSN.
    Open feint sucks because it isn't first party it isn't as widely known and there is plenty of people complaining that some of its achievements act are impossible!

INTJ

Because Smartphone Game service intergration is currently useless.

you really can't do anything with it besides it telling you "congrats you jumped a hoop a million times, heres a image"

Lvl 4 - Silver

Because Smartphone Game service intergration is currently useless.

you really can't do anything with it besides it telling you "congrats you jumped a hoop a million times, heres a image"
    Apart from the fact that GameCentre allows you to play online with friends, get achievements and see how you stack up on the leader boards. So PS360 are you just saying this because Android doesn't have anything that can rake up to what this is!

Lvl 9 - Gold

"Would you like to use OpenFeint for awesome features, leaderboards, achievements?"

No, I just want to play my damn game.
    | Signature and avatar by dsluckay| Platbar by Wadefan1 |

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ApplePope View Post
    Apart from the fact that GameCentre allows you to play online with friends, get achievements and see how you stack up on the leader boards. So PS360 are you just saying this because Android doesn't have anything that can rake up to what this is!
    I had a iPhone for around 4 years till two days ago.

i find the game center to be terrible. always have.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    "Would you like to use OpenFeint for awesome features, leaderboards, achievements?"

No, I just want to play my damn game.
    Agreed. When it comes to games on cellphones, people just want a quick distraction, not a game with a thousand features they won't use. They have a console (or PC) at their homes to play games with all of that, and they'd rather play those than the ones in their phones.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Game Center appears to be Apple dipping their toes into the serious gaming arena. We all know iOS games are casual experiences, but that doesn't mean Apple will be content with that for long.

We've seen how they've changed the mobile audio, video, gaming and app landscapes, what's to say Apple won't one day dominate the computer or console gaming industries?

The day an iMac runs PC games at an equivalent level to a PC gaming rig of the same vintage is the day I give up PC for good. Two years ago I never would have thought that day would come, but with the likes of Steam on-board and the emergence of Game Center as a contender in the achievement space, that day is fast approaching.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    We've seen how they've ripped off the mobile audio, video, gaming and app landscapes
    fixed for ya

Lvl 4 - Silver

No Ps360 they innovated, they did not 'rip off' anything.
    So Ps360 what did apple rip off when creating their first smartphone back in 2007?

INTJ

The palm OS.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Palm phones weren't as user friendly nor did they have CAPACATIVE touch screens, and they were not able to view websites properly, apple jumped ahead and thats that.

INTJ

I used a Palm product and it was just as easy as the iphone OS. hell i even had a little stylus that made using the screen 10 times better.

it also had a camera, bluetooth, web browser, Games, applications that use calendars and memos and other shit no one ever uses that was also on the iphone OS, etc.

Lvl 4 - Silver

But they were not the same form factor, the iPhone had those features but the design was totally new! If you call basic features a phone should have stolen then you should look at every Smartphone out TODAY!

illegal in 9 countries

The palm OS.

Fuck me, how did I miss that...it's exactly the same :cough: :tumbleweed:
    I'm amazed at how frequently I use the My Centro, Quick Tour, Camcorder, Documents and Downloads icons on my iPhone. :more tumbleweed:

Apple reinvented the MP3 player.
    Apple reinvented the smart phone.
    Apple reinvented the tablet.

Every other manufacturer has followed in Apple's shadow playing catch-up and none have surpassed them.

They did so via clever UI design using multi-gesture touch, something no other company had successfully achieved when the iPod, iPhone and iPad products were launched. Stylus' sucked balls in comparison - they scratched your screen and were easily lost.

It's not a Palm. Get over it.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 10-05-2011 at 04:29 AM.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)