Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The C-n-C Pit

This is a discussion on The C-n-C Pit within the Artistic Inspiration forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; The C-n-C Pit Read Everything Before Posting It's Extremely Obvious If You Haven't [hide] [top] What is "CnC"? by Sniperfox ...

#cutformesa

The C-n-C Pit

The C-n-C Pit

Read Everything Before Posting
    It's Extremely Obvious If You Haven't

[top]What is "CnC"? by Sniperfox

Well, the short and sweet of it is simply "Comments & Criticisms".

It means just what it says - someone ( knowledgeable ) gives you comments and criticisms on a piece you've posted. This is real feedback. If you've never had work critiqued before, then things may come off as seemingly harsh - believe us when we say this is not our intention.

CnC is always, always intended to try and help you get better at what you're doing. It will give praise when praise is due, and point out flaws in your work, when necessary.

Let's take a look at an example of proper CnC vs Poor CnC -

[User A]
    [Posts Signature]
    "I spent a good amount of time on this, and I'd like some feedback on it!"

[Proper Feedback]
    "The signature looks good, it's got nice color to it, and I like the render/stock you've chosen. If I had to give any critiques, I would say that perhaps it's a little blown out in spots - over contrasted a bit. The flow also seems a little off - the font choice kind of goes against the rest of the signature's flow. The sig flows to the right - perhaps a font that does the same?

Keep up the good work.
    "

[Poor Feedback]
    "I like it, it looks good! 10/10!"

or

"It's terrible and sux - I hate [insert name of game/movie in sig]. 0/10!"

^That second one is actually worse. You should never base your criticism on the content of the signature ( Or the person who made it, for that matter. ) when providing CnC - your feedback should be unbiased.

[top]How it Works

Simply post your sig below giving your own opinion on it and we'll give you some detailed CnC for it. Please make sure you actually post the sig and not just say that it's in your sig space. Other people are welcome to give CnC but please only do so if you're actually capable of it. If you don't know what you're talking about and give completely inane CnC your post will be reported and deleted by a moderator. This may seem harsh, but we don't want this thread to be filled with fake CnC that doesn't help anybody. If you're not sure if you can, then please don't.

Do not use this thread to troll other members under the guise of helping them.

*This isn't a "Rate my sig" thread, this is to give those who are into sig-making a fair and decent feedback on their result*
    Do not post work made by somebody else, regardless if it was made for you. Only post work if you've made it and want to get CnC.

*Disclaimer*
    Just to re-iterate, CnC entails highlighting what is wrong with a sig and possible ways to fix it. Honesty is key and often brutal. We will be going through every sig the same regardless of who made it. If you think that you might get offended by what we say about your sig then please don't post. CnC is here to help people develop and progress as an artist, and the only way to do that is through letting you know where you're lacking and how you can improve on it.

[top]Example

I think it looks alright but it doesn't look complete if you know what I mean. I used an ironman render for this. Help?
    ("Harsh CnC" - Very blunt and direct. Most people who comment in this thread will be much nicer )

"First thing that's noticeable is the lack of depth. Aside from the render, it's just a big blur which doesn't look very good. Lay off the blur tool until the end for finishing touches to get a good sense of depth.

Next is the lack of any flow. There isn't any direction in the sig, giving it a very static feel. The render choice doesn't help this much as the render itself, while providing some natural light effects, is very plain and static in itself.

While the colours fit together, the lack of flow and depth really hold this back. Lighting isn't great, but I think that if you want to fix this sig you need to focus on the above before addressing the lighting.

Render position isn't great, look up the "rule of thirds" to find out how the position of the render can dramatically affect a sig and how you've gone against that 'rule' in this. Text position isn't bad considering what you had to work with, but it could still be improved if you changed the render position.

Also if you want to make a big change to this sig, I suggest finding a completely new render that has movement in it already. Movement being that the render looks like it is in the middle of something, and not in a static position like it's posing. This will greatly help you get some good flow and the perfect position for it should feel much more natural to discover"

Here are some helpful links to help you on your way.
    The PS3T Workshop
    PS3T Tutorial and Resource Index

Other Resources
    All the sites below are completely free. Some may require membership but that should be free as well. If you spot something that you think is worth sharing the post it below

We encourage people to reply to our CnC with their thoughts on it. Feedback on feedback sounds odd but it does help.
    Last edited by LeeMcD; 02-07-2012 at 10:47 AM.

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

I am Limitless

This isn't getting any attention here either. :/

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by Recreate View Post
    This isn't getting any attention here either. :/
    I'll try and get things rolling. I made my first PS3 wallpaper today and I'd like some feedback on it. I've never worked with such a large canvas and have done about three simple wallpapers before this. I'd love to get some good CnC on it. I'll post a link to it on DA because I think imgur might lower the quality.

senate on deviantART

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Change is good

I made another vertical sig today, one of Dead Island. I would like some feedback as well.

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    I made another vertical sig today, one of Dead Island. I would like some feedback as well.

I've never delved into doing vertical sigs so my feedback may not be the best.

You've got some good depth on this piece which I like. I know it's not your fault but the zombie mouth on the knife is a little bit distracting. In all honesty the piece just looks a little bit boring. The colours are dull and I'm not really seeing any effects that pop out at me. The lighting, especially the left side, is a bit too intense and obvious. It looks like you've just brushed in some soft colours. The positioning of it is done well but it looks a little stuck on. The composition is done well. Good placement of the focal point.

It's nice to see something other than a standard sig but I think you can produce better.

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetic View Post

Toggle Spoiler

I really like the brush work you've used on this. There's probably some smudging in there as well but I just can't distinguish between it all The depth you've added is nice, but I think that the bit you've left not blurred has resulted in a the focal being a bit too large considering the size of Rihanna in it. I'm personally not a big fan of the text. I think it would look better if there wasn't any text considering how when on a ps3 there'll be plenty of text anyway. There are a few bits around the edges that I think could be cleaned up a bit, just some splatters that don't do anything to improve the piece (most notably on the left side)

Also, how is anybody supposed to use this if you haven't left a link to download a version that doesn't have a load of placeholders?

@Dsluckay: I'm not going to say anything as Prosthetic has pretty much said it all

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

Will Love you for Food

Can I get some feedback on this please:

Legendary...Nuff Said

I've seen much better from you, in all honesty. The text is really lacking (mostly the font choice is what I'm disliking here), but there are also some other noticeable things. You've put a light source, it looks pretty good, but where are the shadows? Lighting isn't simply making a splash of light there, it's also about darkening opposite portions. The depth is OK, but your render sticks out like a sore thumb. Additionally, the red colors with that hint of green just don't really work much, and the sig feels very bland. I don't mind simple sigs; I actually prefer them, but this sig is lacking that flare that makes a signature exciting to to look at. You're quite frankly capable of better than this tag. (Sorry if that sounds too harsh. )

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Mr. X

I think you've hindered yourself from the off with a really awful render choice. It's very static and it stops you from creating any flow. The chair doesn't help and niether do the ears. I think you've blurred the background too much and as a result it looks like the render is just sat on top of it. The colours you've used are pretty boring. There's some strange looking effect going over the render which I'd lose. The left side of the piece is too empty and the faint lines in the background go against the flow of the effects. I don't think there's anything wrong with your font but the placement is too far away from the render and as a result you've created a second focal point. The border doesn't really work with this piece.

On the plus side you render placement is spot on and you've made a decent attempt with the lighting. I think you should try looking at some tuts and other styles rather than just going for the C4D's and renders or if you like this style take more time with your selections to make sure everything fits together.

Change is good

Thanks for the feedback Prosthetic. I just created this:

Still trying to develop this style.

I am Limitless

^ Not really sure how I feel about that one, so no cnc from me. D:

Wasn't trying for something advanced, just a simple stock tag. ^.^
    I honestly think this is my best.

Legendary...Nuff Said

To be honest, I just don't think it's your best. The bright splotch where the tiger's mouth would be is VERY distracting. This is slightly offset by the fact that it's on top of the focal (so it doesn't create a 2nd focal), but it doesn't look very good when considering there aren't any shadows to highlight it as a light source. It's just sort of, "there." The horizontal line at the top is also sorta weird and separates the top of the tag from the bottom. Again, if this was more of an actual light source, it wouldn't look at bad. Text is OK, but where is the flow here? The focal gives a somewhat decent allowance for flow, so use it! Depth feels pretty good, actually. Also on the plus side, I think it's a cool concept of the tiger swimming, so keep going with this more abstract concepts instead of such boring focals of Nathan Drake, your average sprite stock, etc. KIU.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Will Love you for Food

I think this is a very unique style and I really like it. Even though there is not much color in the render I feel I'm still focused on it and am able to relax in the color as well. I forget the type of color system you used (it's not complementary) but the colors go decently well. I'd definitely try this style and try two complementary colors or just experiment with different numbers as well. I'm not seeing much of a light source though. I think this would be a tad difficult using a stock though. And I'd try to incorporate a little more flow into the work, as I can see it is slightly going to the right. Some not "in your face" but "you can still see it" kind of text would work well. Keep up the good work. Oh it could use a little more depth though.

It looks pretty good. I think the light source in the tiger's mouth is a little strong. Good color and light bubbles around the focal point. the text is very plain but incorporates well. I'm not feeling what you really did with the top of it though, it stands out and doesnt look all that blended in. You have some decent depth in here as well as I can see you blurred the tail behind the tiger. It's pretty nice man, I'm not a big vertical sig person, but I like what you did with it Biggest concern: Work on the lighting parts.

PRO Member

The brush work looks a little sloppy in my eyes and as of such there isn't much in terms of flow. It looks like the same brush being replicated all over the left side of the render which takes away from it for me. The background doesn't look like it's been put together well either and the word sloppy comes to mind again, it's neither here or there. There's a significant lack of depth aswell, so my eyes start looking away from the render and towards the assortment of brushes in the background, and I don't know what to focus on. The render's been placed well but I think it was a difficult render choice to begin with

The whole piece seems to suffer from too bright, almost burnt looking lighting throughout. The top which seems to be just dragged from a stock, probably the same one used for the effects gives way too much of a sharp effect and drops the overall quality for me. And the stock used for the effects suffers from this aswell, there are far too many spots that look too sharp/too bright and it just takes a lot away from the piece. It might be me being blind but the big orb of light makes me confused as to what exactly the tiger is doing, after trying to work it out it's kind of like it's chewing on a big bulb of light, not sure if this was intentional or not. The text doesn't help much either, the placement isn't exactly off but I'm not fond of the font choice and the whole thing just looks sharp in general. I think the quickest fix for the issues I mentioned before would be to try and do more with the lighting effects you've added. Trying not to sound harsh saying this, but it looks like you've just slapped the lighting stock ontop, changed blending mode and called it a day for that. Try adding a layer mask and softly erasing bits out, you can always add another stock if you lose too much of it etc. and it'll ease it into the image a lot more. Or use a quick mask and blur it in there. This would help at the top and bottom of the piece here, it would bring the focus in towards the tiger and the whole thing would look much better

HDD corrupted u.u

Would like some CnC on this piece please

[floatleft][/floatleft]

AKA bar by Athena| Avatar by Dare_xLw
    |Signature by Luckay

My showcase

by "Neo Gimp" D1Mech and "Smudgetastic" djunglist

Sigs And Beyond (closed)/Deja View (open)
    Sigs/Banners/Avatars/Headers requests

PRO Member

Here to actually ask for CnC for once, not give

Tried something new and just wanted to see some thoughts on it

Jamming Chemist on KotN2

Getting back in the swing of things with my first vertical sig. Thoughts?
    (side note: I made this while looping the song "I don't want to set the world on fire" by The Ink Spots...it should explain the theme. *chuckles*)

Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.
    Self-Indulgence|How to Ban|ExDesigns

Jamming Chemist on KotN2

The lighting is hands-down my favorite part of your sig. The placement is near perfect, and the complimenting shadows in the corners do a great job at accenting the light. I didn't like the text at first...but it grew on me after a little while. I think it's mostly because of the placement of said text that makes it work so well.

My major complaint is hard for me to put into words. It's as if you used the same filter on your render as you did on the background, or sharpened a bit and erased what you didn't like, or maybe something else entirely; whatever it is, you used a little bit too much. The lines on the trooper aren't clean, and that's a bit distracting for me. Aside from that, the depth is a little lacking. The left arm is blurred really well, but the right arm/left side of the sig could've used a bit more distinction from one another. Overall...it's pretty good.

I didn't think I'd like the evil C4D front and center, but you've made it work. The blur+wave combo works well, though maybe try blurring in a gradient to get the effect of the C4D wrapping around the guy. Your lighting is standard MO for you, and it works everywhere except on the right-hand side of the C4D. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't feel as right as the left-hand side. The text just works, especially being partially obscured by the C4D.

My one issue is the side border...though that's just personal taste. I. Hate. Side borders - they don't do anything for me. But to each their own in that regard. Overall, very nice.

Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.
    Self-Indulgence|How to Ban|ExDesigns

Quartercircle Forward.

Since I haven't made a sig for a few weeks or so, I would like some C'n'C on this piece:

Toggle Spoiler

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

In2
    January MOTM

First time here.

I'd like some CnC on this one please.

Awesome Sig by Beam/Avatar by Me

In2's Endless Dream
    Check my Showcase to see my old/current work.

Follow and watch my latest work.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast