Question about creating simple animation (trophy/plat cards)

This is a discussion on Question about creating simple animation (trophy/plat cards) within the Artistic Inspiration forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; Hi everyone. If this question has been posted before, please forgive me. I tried doing a forum search and came ...

Mini Ninja

Question about creating simple animation (trophy/plat cards)

Hi everyone. If this question has been posted before, please forgive me. I tried doing a forum search and came up empty. I also looked at the tutorial thread but also came up empty. I could've sworn there was a tutorial for animated sigs before, but that might have disappeared when the forums were re-started.

Anyway, I've been using my own plat card (see sig) that's very simple because 1) I'm a simple guy, and 2) I suck at making plat cards. So I know my feeble attempt at a plat card is laughable, but I've now reached a dilemma that all trophy hunters eventually face: I've run out of room. I'd like to learn how to animate an image so that I can display any future plats that I happen to get. Just a simple animation of one image transitioning into another, nothing crazy.

Can anyone recommend an online tutorial that they know of, or at least point me in the direction of some freeware/shareware that will allow me to accomplish this? I used GIMP 2 to make my plat card, in case that info is important. I'd really appreciate any advice or help for this. Thank you very much in advance!

Lvl 4 - Silver

This took me a while to type out, but hopefully I have written everything you need.

1. Do you still have the original .xcf file for your trophy card? If you do, delete your platinum icons and replace them with the new ones.

2. Save as a new image.

3. Open up a new project using your card dimensions.

4. Delete background layer (white box) and put your first (current) card picture in.

5. Put your second card image in (the one with your new platinum's) and make sure it is on top of the first card image in the layers box.

6. Double click the name of the first image in the layers box and rename it something like '(1250ms)' make sure you include brackets.

7. Repeat for the second image.

8. Go to the 'Filters' tab, go to 'Animation' and then 'Playback'.

9. Preview box will appear. Click 'Play' and you'll be able to see the animation. If it's too slow or fast, just adjust the number in brackets.

10. Go to 'File' and then 'Save As' and call it something like 'Trophy card.gif'. Make sure to put .gif at the end or else it won't animate.

Hopefully that should help you out. I tried to put it as simply as I could.

Mini Ninja

Wow, I didn't even realize that GIMP could do animations like that. Thank you very much, AndroidFox! I've already started playing around with the program, and I think I can get it to work at the end of the day. I'm getting weird problems with my original trophy card file (older layers are shown in the animation, even though I merged everything). I'll figure it out. Thanks again!

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by wick3d_turtle View Post
    Wow, I didn't even realize that GIMP could do animations like that. Thank you very much, AndroidFox! I've already started playing around with the program, and I think I can get it to work at the end of the day. I'm getting weird problems with my original trophy card file (older layers are shown in the animation, even though I merged everything). I'll figure it out. Thanks again!
    Happy to help!