Artist Spotlight: Ramon

This is a discussion on Artist Spotlight: Ramon within the Artistic Inspiration forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; For this spotlight we did a back and forth on AIM. It was something different and it allowed us to ...

#cutformesa

Artist Spotlight: Ramon

For this spotlight we did a back and forth on AIM. It was something different and it allowed us to continue the flow of the spotlight / conversation. It also gave me the chance to butt in during the middle of Ramon's answer every now and then

[top]To begin all spotlights, could you give an introduction to yourself and who you are

Well I'm Ramon3110 Many people know me as Ramon,Ramona,RayRay, and this is some artis thing or whatever the fuck lee wants me to do.
    Note : You can try this at home

[top]Well rayray, how is it that you began working with photoshop and started making these things people call "sigs"?

Well that's basically on my profile. Well not on my profile my showcase lol

We need to give the readers something to read. Get talking!

Well it all started way back when I used gamespot. It was kinda like my ultimate source for cheat codes and game reccomendations. The internet was starting to spread those days and one day I was just browsing in the forums and I noticed these designs. I requested one from a user nothing,requested from somebody else and on and on and on THEN FINALLY SOMEBODY TOOK IT. I wasn't very pleased with the result i got so in the end I've always been that type of person with "OH WELL MIGHT AS WELL DO IT MYSELF FUCK IT". But....to my suprise there was no way on earth this was possible on paint.

This is very long lee. We're talking about a whole month and I really have to go shit. I'll log in from aim on my phone.

So you're going to give an interview while taking a shit?

Yeah dont see the problem. Anyway to put it short,i liked sigs and digital art i always loved how simple art can make browsing and going through the web a more exciting experience. Everything,right down to the last colorful pixel.

[top]How difficult did you find the first few weeks / months working with sigs?

Really difficult, it was all a matter of experimenting and having a lot of patience and it was really difficult for me since i like everything to be as perfect as possible and it still happens you learn something new every day.

[top]Do you still have issues with trying to make everything as perfect as possible? Any examples of pieces you're not happy with?

90 percent of my sigs. The problem is hard to describe. I envision the sig it sort of like comes to me in my mind. Many people know that I use music to envision it, sort of a weird combo of thoughts and pictures i see in the net and in my head and I just use the software to project that, dunno about other sig makers but I take gfx design very seriously and each sig I make I experiment woth something new.

[top]When you picture the sigs in your head beforehand, where do you take inspiration for them? Do you look to pieces done by other artists for some ideas or do you like to look towards more natural things such as your surroundings and nature itself?

Surroundings mostly. When I look at other pieces it more on the technical side of things like lighting techs, blurring tech, how to do this to make it look like that and such. Also with some songs I'm listening to I try to project the atmosphere theyre in and make them into sigs

[top]Is there any aspect of your work that you're particularly happy with / proud of?

Yes the progress I've made. I never knew I would improve so much.

[top]What about any techniques that you're proud of?

Well the use of photoshops distortion and spatter. I use it on almost every sig. From the lightest touch to the heaviest of the crunch, it's a really nice effect. The distortion swirls everything in a way. This can be found in example my united sig which i cant link right now because im on my almighty throne

You're still on the throne? I thought you got off that ages ago when we stared talking again
    Runs dude

Well once you're done shitting, be sure to link me that sig you're talking about

[top]Roughly how long have you been working with gfx?

Since cs3 came out. I dont know exactly how many years that is though.

[top]Do you expect to keep going with it in the future?

Yes I do,study programming and such and it's really useful for designing UIs.

The rest are my personal account at the uni so they're a bit unobtainable atm

[top]Speaking of ps3t in particular, what do you think of current direction that gfx is taking?

Man from what i see its dying. You dont see new talent like back in 09 and 10 or multiple sig shops. I mean seriously wtf happened. The ai is dead and ive been slowly trying to bring it back COME ON PEOPLE

[top]If you want Ai to return to it's glory then it needs more shops and active sig makers. Would you consider taking the challenge of opening your own shop?

Shops no, though I am open to being contacted. I'd love to open one though, but as a student I really just can't right now. Though i recently partnered with Nero to make his review bannerz be sure to check them out!

[top]Where do you get your resources for your work?

To quote early days Timmy Turner, the internet. Render sites like baka renders, planet renders and deviantart too. If nothing appears, lrn2google. Sometimes I use pictures I've taken but thats very rare.

[top]O rly? What camera do you use for your pictures? You have a gallery?

Not rly, it's all on my hdd lol and some old shitty purple kodak with 8mp :/ Will accept donations for a new one pl0x

[top]Have you expanded into using other programs for your gfx work?

Not really. Well I have applied techniques you use with drawings and such on the usual sig process. I've learned that on the way

[top]What recommendations do you have for those who are just beginning gfx?

Well it's a bit obvious but, learn to take criticism. Even if it's just "OH HELL NAW THAT SUCKS FUCK THAT"wWait no thats trolling lol Learn to embrace criticism tbh it's the thing that has most helped me improved. If some one complains just fix it dammit. Remember art sometimes is about pleasing others instead of yourself

[top]What about certain aspects of sigmaking that you think beginners should focus on?

Ok 1st blending and text jobs, and lighting focus and flow. It's essential to any sig. Once you have that mastered go experimenting by yourself. Try not look at tutorials once you have those basics bBecause your sigs will start to look to similar. I discovered this error in my ways thanks to you lee

[top]I think this is about the end of your spotlight You have any shoutouts or links you want to promote?

Well you of course
    Comp -
    Artemis - For always being there <3
    The CB Crew - Nag,Davey,Ryan,Bodigard,U.M.A,Schism,Hitmanchan,Curse.etc
    Auburn - Where ever she is it was great working with her
    JackAttack - He's still a n00b. 14 does not make a difference
    The GGA Guys - Thanks to them I had quite a few laughs,Bravo guys.
    Fox - Someone who I admire alot his techniques *are absolutely amazing and well done.
    well that's about it

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ar...-showcase.html
    RayRay3110 on deviantART

If you want some more reading material on some of the designers here on PS3T.com check out the other Artist Spotlights below
    Last edited by Hitmon133; 07-29-2012 at 04:33 PM.

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

The One and Only

Nice interview. I added Ramon to my dA Watch.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

ADMlNlSTRATOR

Nice interview Ray Ray...I especially like the part when you took a dump mid-interview.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Oh holy shit it's back.

Nice interview, it was a fun read. Look forward to seeing more of these soon as well.

And thanks for the, erm, "shoutout," Ramon.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Nope, nothing

Nice read, you have a cool style, Ramon.

Good to see these back, although I'm interested to see how many more there will actually be

#cutformesa

This was originally meant to be a threeway conversation between Ramon, Curse, and myself, but Curse kept getting drunk and couldn't get it up so myself and Ramon just went for it ourselves instead.

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

Will Love you for Food

Nice review, lol at having to do half of it on the toilet Your work Ramon, is very interesting in a good way. I don't think there is an gfx artist quite like you. This would have to be my favorite I've seen from you

Keep up the sigs

Notorious K.I.D.

Awesome read, nice to see these spotlights making a comeback. With the next generation of artists springing up it'll be nice to see them get recognized as well. I gotta say that Ramon is one of the more unique artists on here, always find something I like in his work.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmon133 View Post
    This was originally meant to be a threeway conversation between Ramon, Curse, and myself, but Curse kept getting drunk and couldn't get it up so myself and Ramon just went for it ourselves instead.
    A three-way where Curse couldn't get it up?

Anywhore, that was a shitty read.

No seriously that was pretty entertaining, nice

Galaxy beauty pirate

Awesome interview!
    Always enjoy looking at your pieces, they bring a smile on my face. Thanks for the shoutout as well.

Glad to see these interviews are back.
    I hope there will be many more of them.

Death is Awaiting....

Learned more about Ramona and his shit taking and a shout out for little ol' me!?

Sig by Achantion

In2
    January MOTM

A pretty funny and intriguing interview.
    Hope to see more.

Awesome Sig by Beam/Avatar by Me

In2's Endless Dream
    Check my Showcase to see my old/current work.

Follow and watch my latest work.

PRO Member

Little late, but whatever.

Awesome interview, Ramon! I absolutely love your art style, keep it up man!

Sig by Beam| Avatar by Abstract

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

Are you ever NOT on the toilet, man? Like seriously .

Harvester of Souls

Awesome stuff . Nice read . Love your work!!!!!

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Fight Off Your Demons

Cool read. Ramon is definitely one of the more varied artists on the site, which is why I've always like his style. Cool learning he comes up with it through music.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Great Interview

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    A three-way where Curse couldn't get it up?
    It just keeps happening

---

Yeah cheers for including me Lee >:F some funny answers in there Gaymon