Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The Fox's Den | Design Showcase

This is a discussion on The Fox's Den | Design Showcase within the Artistic Inspiration forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; About Me \ Signature Work \ Large Pieces \ Wallpapers \ Abstract Art \ Latest Tagwall deviantART \ Behance Network ...

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

The Fox's Den | Design Showcase

Name: Fox [James D. Headrick]

About: I started down the road of graphic design a few years ago - back in '01, to be specific. I started like many others - playing around with the free trials of different graphics programs, reading and emulating tutorials and guides.

However, I actually, truly, started out with pencil and paper. I drew a lot when I was younger, and still do from time to time, when that "spark" hits me.

Eventually, I found signature design, and was interested in it, so I started to try it for myself. Moved up to actual graphic design from there, but I still do signatures.

I ran my own shop around these parts for a while, off and on. Ran into computer troubles that would have never been fixed if not for a few of the members around here. When I came back, I joined up with Industry Of Sigs, didn't last long as that group shut down, so, I went back to my own shop, VENOMGRAPHICS.

As of now, however, I am a part of ExDesigns, and VENOMGRAPHICS is, for the foreseeable future, closed. If you wish to get a signature done by me, or one of the other artists in the group, just head over to the shop and drop it.

As far as me, myself, and I - I'm a huge Metal Gear nerd, as if you couldn't tell from the avatar, and the new graphics in this showcase. I could just about tell you every little thing there is to know about the series - I've gone through each game's story an average of 30 times. I enjoy rock music - hard, metal, classic, punk - as long as it sounds good, I'll listen. Same goes for any other kind of music - doesn't matter what the genre is, if it sounds good, I'll like it.

Let me put it this way - my tastes range from Sarah McLachlan, to Rise Against, to Johann Sebastian Bach to Yoko Shimomura.

Tools Of The Trade
    • Photoshop CS5
    • Illustrator CS5
    • Cinema 4D
    • Apophysis 7X

So, I'm sure you're here to see my work, right? Sorry to keep you waiting - let's start at the beginning, enh?

[top]Humble Beginnings

Every artist starts somewhere. For traditional, it might be a stick figure. For the painter, it's probably a landscape. Whatever it is, it usually sucks, too - and the artist probably never lets it see the light of day.

I'm of a breed that believes even the bad work should be shown - especially early work. It lets not only you, but others see how far you've come overall.

It's always good to have something you can look back on, and say "Man, I've come a long way." That crummy image up there? That's my first signature - at least, the first I ever truly liked enough to save, keep and actually display. I honestly couldn't tell you how many signatures I've done - even TODAY - that I just scrap when they are done or almost done.

[top]That Awkward Phase

That inbetween time. The high school years. You're growing as a person and trying out new things for the first time.

It was this point when I was still learning. I knew nothing yet of lighting, flow, effects - nothing at all. I didn't even know how to resize the render properly, as seen in the DMC and Kingdom Hearts tags. Around the time of the second DMC tag, and the Venom tag, I was starting to get a grasp on things, though.

[top]Growing Up

Now we come to the point where I was finally starting to come into my own. A firm grasp on the basics, and the confidence to start breaking away from the tutorial crutch.

As you can see, I'd improved leaps and bounds by this point. This was over the course of a few years, just to put it in perspective for you. Most of these tags were done in 2006 - 2008.

[top]The Here & The Now

Now we come to the present. I've been doing this for a while, learned a lot, and have started sharing what I know with others, in the form of tutorials and guides. After all, what good is knowledge if you don't pass it on?

This isn't all of my signature work - there's a good bit I left out, such as my Guilty Gear and VITAMIN R series, and quite a few other signatures. I just decided to go with a selection of work that I felt showed my progression over the years.

So, first of all, what is a "Large Piece"? It's simply anything that is larger than the size of a standard signature. A rule of thumb is 500 x 500 and over is a Large Piece.

Everything in the following sections are large pieces. This specific section is for ones that I didn't have a category for.

This was the first time I ever attempted typography. It didn't come out that well, but for a first attempt, I felt it wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it so much, though, that a year or so later, I revisited it, and created the follow - COLORCRAVE.
    And here's COLORCRAVE. As you can see, it a major step up from the previous work. Lighting is a bit harsh on the 'A' & 'V', but that's about the only thing I don't really like on it.

"We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at....but... at least I always fought for what I believed in."
    ~ Gray Fox ~
    Last edited by Fox; 09-25-2013 at 09:31 AM.

....IoS King....

Awesome showcase Sniper....the only issue is the table code hides your signatures and stuff....the table bbc code is currently not working on this site....but yeah can't wait to see you add new work to this....

Avatar by: cmgravekeeper - Signature by: cmgravekeeper - IV Card by: cmgravekeeper

PRO Member

Amazing work! I can't wait to see more, you're definitely one, of the best on site!

Sig by Beam| Avatar by Abstract

No Matter What

Some amazing sigs in your tag wall, but as CMG said the tables are hiding the rest of your work.

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

Update:

• Stripped TABLE codes, for now. Images should be visible again
    • Added last Tagwall I made [May, 2011]
    • Added current signature under "Current"

Hopefully the table codes will get fixed/reimplemented soon - I miss the borders and spacing they added.

Galaxy beauty pirate

So much eye candy!
    The boy with the guitar is still one of my favs done by you. I also love the 'Nightmare on Elm street' one and the 'Weapon X'.

Glad to see you and your showcase back.

No Matter What

Defintely loving Weapon X and Nightmare on Elm Street!

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

Notorious K.I.D.

Definitely some badass pieces in here. Some of the best around in my opinion.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

♥ IoS Queen ♥

This showcase is epic itself. Love the Freddy sig - nightmare on elm street is my favorite movie too. Your art is truly amazing, Fox.

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

Thank you everyone.

Minor Update
    - Uploaded tagwall to imageshack. imgur just kind of raped the quality of it, made the tags that were in it really blurry. Still the same 'wall, just better quality.

2011 Member of the Year

Tagwall looks BEAST!!!

Couple of my faves, along with the 4 in the tagwall

Always been a fan of your work

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

great showcase fox. i like the ones that never were.

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Mr. X

Can't believe I haven't said anything in here yet. Anyway your work is epic, it's good to see you back in action.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

Y'know, I just realized, I never posted a couple of typography pieces I made a while back. One in '09, I believe [It might have been '08, I'm not 100% sure ), and the other in '10, pretty much revisiting the style.

The first, is called "LOVE" -

The other, is "colorcrave" -

Both had the text created in Illustrator - the colors and other effects were done in Photoshop. As you can see, the second attempt is far better - the first one had the bottom converging point of the "V" cut off - no idea how that happened, and the effects are pretty simple in it.

I do think the lighting in the second one is a little strong - mainly over the "V".

Amazing - both times, and there's an issue with the damn "V" - I think that letter hates me or something.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Y'know, I just realized, I never posted a couple of typography pieces I made a while back. One in '09, I believe [It might have been '08, I'm not 100% sure ), and the other in '10, pretty much revisiting the style.

Both had the text created in Illustrator - the colors and other effects were done in Photoshop. As you can see, the second attempt is far better - the first one had the bottom converging point of the "V" cut off - no idea how that happened, and the effects are pretty simple in it.

I do think the lighting in the second one is a little strong - mainly over the "V".

Amazing - both times, and there's an issue with the damn "V" - I think that letter hates me or something.
    Will you be doing this for people. I want one

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsoldier36 View Post
    Will you be doing this for people. I want one
    Probably not. It takes a lot of time and effort to do [I actually haven't done another one since "colorcrave"], more time than would be viable for something that would be request-able.

I may do them on special request [As in someone asks for it], but I'm not making any promises on it.

The Playboy Wikipedia

Fox, I have always been a fan of your work. In my honest opinion, you're definitely one of the best sig makers on this site. And this is a great showcase. Keep up the good work
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Galaxy beauty pirate

I really like the typography ones, definitely the 'love' one!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Not a fan of the first one as much, the white crisp looking edges to the letter, the letters look a little too thick and it kind of takes away the effects of the background.

The second one however looks marvelous, the letters look like they've been put-together a lot better (Damn my lack of knowledge in illustrator ) The effects around the letters blend in perfectly and the background compliments it really well.

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Not a fan of the first one as much, the white crisp looking edges to the letter, the letters look a little too thick and it kind of takes away the effects of the background.

The second one however looks marvelous, the letters look like they've been put-together a lot better (Damn my lack of knowledge in illustrator ) The effects around the letters blend in perfectly and the background compliments it really well.
    The letters themselves aren't hard to make - just type a letter, then use Illustrator's "3D" filter on it. It's more the positioning that's difficult - but that's more of a personal taste kind of thing [Y'know, figuring out where you want them to be].

I definitely agree with you on the first one - as I said, I'm not a big fan of it either, though it was the first time I ever tried it, and it was a bit of an experiment. I put more of what I knew, and some newer stuff I'd learned over that year or 2, into the second one .

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast