Artist Spotlight: Prosthetic

This is a discussion on Artist Spotlight: Prosthetic within the Artistic Inspiration forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; [hide] [top] 1. Who are you and how did you first get into design? I suppose I should drop my ...

PRO Member

Artist Spotlight: Prosthetic

[top]1. Who are you and how did you first get into design?

I suppose I should drop my real name in here. Well, I’m Pj, the origin of that is pretty bland and a story for another day.

As for getting into design I can’t really pin point it. I’ve always enjoyed art as far back as I can remember. I still have books full of crappy drawings dating back to primary school. I love all forms of creative media, and as I’ve grown older I’ve moved onto writing and digital
    art. I still dabble in drawing but nowhere near as much as I used to.

[top]2. Whilst you haven't been on the site (Pre-Apocalypse PS3T anyway) for as long as some of the other designers you've quickly became one of the most popular and recognized. How does this feel and would you agree with this?

I think I’ve just whored myself out by posting about and doing requests. There are a lot of great artists on the site such as yourself, Lee, Fox, Jack and BlacklistHunta. I’m honoured that people like my work but I still feel like I’ve got a long way to go.

[top]3. How did you first get into this?

Back in the day I was a big wrestling geek and used to lurk around forums. I came across a site called Smackdown Hotel; dedicated to the Smackdown game series. There was an artistic section on there and I was amazed by some of the work that people were showcasing there. At the time I was requesting sigs off other users. One person made me a perfect sig of Ifrit being on fire but some of the other sigs I got didn’t quite hit the spot.
    I decided that the best way to tackle this would be to try and make my own sigs.

Deciding to do what any teenager does when they want something I whinged at my Dad to get me a copy of Photoshop. Luckily, because we are upstanding citizens, we had a copy of PS7 sitting on our software shelf. I installed it and...my computer couldn’t run it. Every time I opened it up it would crash.

Anyway, skip forward and I had a new computer and Photoshop was working and I was sucking more dick than well...just add in your own simile here. I’m upset that I got rid of my very first work as I’d love to show myself up right now. Unfortunately I don’t have it but I can still show how bad I was after probably a good year or so.

- I used to love making a layer one colour and then setting the blend mode to colour; makes the sig green, simples and fucking shit.
    The rest of the story is that I have an on off relationship with digital art. Sometimes I’m in love with Photoshop and making stuff and other times I just can’t be arsed in the slightest. Before I joined up with PS3T I hadn’t touched Photoshop in over a year. I saw you guys making sick and got inspired to get back on it. I think every time I come back I take a big step forward. Maybe I should fuck off again and I can get better.

I will shut up now.

[top]4. How do you find the inspiration to keep create art?

It’s very hard and to be honest I don’t really have any secrets. I block out all the time when trying to write or create pieces. I could fill my flat twice over with all the shit I’ve churned out and scrapped. Digital art is actually second to my writing so it’s even harder to get motivated at times.

I would say the best remedy is to look at other people’s work. Like I said I’d been away from Photoshop for around a year when I saw some of the sick work on PS3T and got inspired to give it another crack. When I see, read, hear something fantastic I want to be able to at least match it and it spurs me on to learn more.

[top]5. Have you got any favorite pieces/artists?

I could label some guys on this site but that would be a bit boring. We all know who is shit hot on here and you guys don’t need me to toot their horn...foxcurseleejackblacklisthuntaramonauburn.

Anyway there’s one guy who I really admire. When I was starting out he helped me a lot and he was always that step ahead of me. I loved his work and he was always pushing on and learning. As a result it made me do the same as I wanted to beat him. His name was Scorpionyclus on the forums I was on but I don’t know if he goes by that now. I don’t even think he’s active.

Anyway check him out on dA, he’s unique and he was a huge inspiration to me.

scorpionyclus on deviantART

[top]6. Do you create anything outside of making signatures? Or use any other graphic design related software?

As I’ve already mentioned I do some writing. So far I’ve only done short stories and some wank song lyrics and poems; you can laugh at them on my dA. I also knock out riffs here and there on my guitar but I never write them down and they just drain away with the sands of time.

At the moment I’m meant to be creating a graphic novel. The script is half done and the art hasn’t even begun. It’s due on the 15th December so I better pull my finger out. That said my awesome girlfriend has bought me a graphics tablet for my birthday. Hopefully I’ll get my head around it and I can show you some digital paintings and concepts for my graphic novel. It’s a dark comedic zombie tale that isn’t funny at all.

[top]7. Have you made any resources for others to use?

I have two tutorials typed up in notepad but I haven’t got around to making them pretty in Photoshop yet. Other than that I’ve got a render up on Planet Renders and in the PS3T resource pack. Everyone should check it out (http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ar...urce-pack.html). There’s also some .PSD files of mine in there that I hope can help people.

[top]8. How long do you normally spend on a piece?

It can range between twenty minutes to anywhere nearing three hours. I remember doing one piece and getting towards finishing it and then thinking it was gash so I started a whole new piece on top of it; that one took a long time.

[top]9. Do you have any inspiring words for future/upcoming designers?

All I can say is to keep practicing and to keep your head up even when people give you shit and put you down. Jack is a shining example of this. He got some grief and put his head down and now he’s ten times better than the people who put him down.

Also, don’t become complacent. Even if people are saying you’re the best thing since sliced bread you have to remember that you’re still shit compared to someone else. Basically don’t get too big for your boots or you’ll just stagnate. Be proud of your accomplishments but always strive to be better and you’ll see improvements even if they’re not automatic.

[top]10. Where do you see yourself in three years time? Still using Photoshop?

I can’t possibly say. I’d like to branch out into more forms of digital art. I want to try moving towards digital paintings and larger pieces. Doing sigs is fun but if I don’t push on and evolve I know that I’ll just end up losing interest.

There you have it folks, the slightly intoxicated Prosthetic! Thank-you for the interesting responses, Prosth

Apologies for the lack of spotlights recently, but I can assure you that they're now back for good

For more Prosthetic, make sure to the following links!

Ex Designs
    One star designs

If you want some more reading material on some of the designers here on PS3T.com check out the other Artist Spotlights below

Will Love you for Food

Nice Interview Curse, Pros is a really good artist

Legendary...Nuff Said

Glad to see the return of my favorite interviews on the site. Awesome to get some insight on Prosthetic, he's always been one of my favorite artists on here. I look forward to reading more of these in the future.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Mr. X

keep your head up even when people give you shit and put you down. Jack is a shining example of this. He got some grief and put his head down
    What a contradiction...I should have proofread this.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Glad to see the return of my favorite interviews on the site. Awesome to get some insight on Prosthetic, he's always been one of my favorite artists on here. I look forward to reading more of these in the future.
    I can't remember if I mentioned in the post but whilst I have a couple, maybe a few more targets in site I'm not sure how much longer this is going to keep going

I have enough to keep in going on a monthly basis for the next few months though, maybe then I should start asking the community who they want

PRO Member

What an amazing interview!

Keep up the great work, pros!

Sig by Beam| Avatar by Abstract

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i feel honored being mentioned

Great interview, and happy Birthday PJ

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by BlackListHunta View Post
    i feel honored being mentioned

Great interview, and happy Birthday PJ
    You're welcome and thank you

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

HDD corrupted u.u

amazing interview for an amazing artist . beast work you make, Pros
    [floatleft][/floatleft]

AKA bar by Athena| Avatar by Dare_xLw
    |Signature by Luckay

My showcase

by "Neo Gimp" D1Mech and "Smudgetastic" djunglist

Sigs And Beyond (closed)/Deja View (open)
    Sigs/Banners/Avatars/Headers requests

Digital Terror

great interview Pros.
    you've always been there, helping the new artist...giving advice in showcases or giving CnC
    you are deffently one of the many artists on site that i look up too

Currently Playing
    Borderlands The Pre Sequel
    Destiny

In2
    January MOTM

Great interview Pros. You're a very talented artist and i love your style and work.
    Glad to have lost numerous times against you in Battles and SOTM.

Awesome Sig by Beam/Avatar by Me

In2's Endless Dream
    Check my Showcase to see my old/current work.

Follow and watch my latest work.

Galaxy beauty pirate

Nice interview and some great looking sigs. Keep up the good work Pros!
    Sig by Ramon

Quartercircle Forward.

Definitely one of the best artists on the site Interesting read as well.

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

Notorious K.I.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    I can't remember if I mentioned in the post but whilst I have a couple, maybe a few more targets in site I'm not sure how much longer this is going to keep going

I have enough to keep in going on a monthly basis for the next few months though, maybe then I should start asking the community who they want
    I don't see this as a problem, just basing it off a one a month deal, there should be enough artists on site to keep going for over a year.

Fantastic interview Pros, always loved your work. Keep it up man.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam