End of Desmond?

This is a discussion on End of Desmond? within the Assassin's Creed III forum, part of the A; From what it looks like Assassin's Creed 3 will deliver or be the second to last to deliver, the end ...

The Last of my Kind

End of Desmond?

From what it looks like Assassin's Creed 3 will deliver or be the second to last to deliver, the end of Desmond...

If you’ve ever thought that Desmond Miles, the recurring protagonist of the Assassin’s Creed series, has taken over an unnecessary share of the overall the story, you may get a reprieve from having to deal with his character arcs. Ubisoft apparently has plans into eliminate the descent of the Assassin’s Order within the storyline, one way or another.
    Assassin’s Creed 3 creative lead Alex Hutchinson said as much during an Ubisoft press event, The Verge reports, describing Desmond’s overarching story as a “wrapper” that needed to come to an end.

“Without the Desmond,” said Hutchinson, “we could have called it anything else, and people would have said okay. It’s just we like the wrapper of being an assassin and being in this continuing war against Templars. There’s huge value in that. But [Assassin's Creed 3] is 90% a new game.”
    “I think Desmond needs to end,” he said. “At some point. You know what I mean? Things that go on too long lack resonance. We’re asking people to remember seven years’ worth of story. Which is like saying you were in junior high and now you’re finishing college. And you need to remember what you were doing in junior high.”

Whether this means that Desmond will die in the final act of Assassin’s Creed III is anyone’s guess, but the last couple of games in the series dramatically increased his role in the active story.
    As each Assassin’s Creed game edges closer and closer to present day, perhaps a more natural solution will be for Desmond to die in the conflict between the Assassin’s Order and the Templars during Assassin’s Creed IV or Assassin’s Creed V, which could assuredly take place in present day.
    Source: EGM

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

On a Paradise

The main question will be... will it mean the end of the AC serie?

Awesome avy & sig made by In2
    Rep him if you like them!

Platinum Dohvakiin

Didn't Ubisoft already say that AC3 was going to be the last you saw of Desmond already? It's no shocker that they are getting ride of his character. He should be finishing up his mission/story in this game, finally. I mean I like the guy and the story arc and all. But did it really need to take 6 games. Just to get to this point in his arc? Better question is. Did we really need to have Ezio around as much as he was? Yeah I know everybody loves him . But the last to games were almost completely pointless. And he just annoys the sh*t out of me, everytime he opens his mouth.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Change is mediocre

I hope so, if they keep how Desmond looked in Revelations. I only liked Desmond in AC1 and 2.

It's either this or they make full game based in the future with either Desmond or his children being assassins.

PRO Member

I can see this being the end of Desmond's story, but there is no way in hell that this is the end of the AC franchise. The series is waaaayyy too popular for Ubi just to drop it off a 20 story building.

Sig by Bladia

The Last of my Kind

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    Didn't Ubisoft already say that AC3 was going to be the last you saw of Desmond already? It's no shocker that they are getting ride of his character. He should be finishing up his mission/story in this game, finally. I mean I like the guy and the story arc and all. But did it really need to take 6 games. Just to get to this point in his arc? Better question is. Did we really need to have Ezio around as much as he was? Yeah I know everybody loves him . But the last to games were almost completely pointless. And he just annoys the sh*t out of me, everytime he opens his mouth.
    Haha, I couldn't agree more. I don't know where the story can continue in the future, if desmond is killed, since the point was to learn the past of the assassins, and defeat abstergo, once and for all. Though as the character developed, he became more of an annoyance to me than the savior, totally not getting it. I understand he doesn't know what's going on, but I'm sure if Altair or Ezio found out what Desmond is like (they never actually saw eachother, all the messages were given through the characters to Desmond, and when Ezio speaks to him he doesn't see him) then they would probably facepalm everytime.

Ezio was around a lot, but then he covers a lot of time, and gives us a real development of the templars through the ages, as well as how assassin order came to return. I think Ubisoft didn't want to leave doors open, so Revelations was a good idea. This can make us focus on Connor (who's name I hate), and his link to all 3 other characters. According to what UbiSoft already revealed Connor didn't live long, which means something must have happened. Maybe he got betrayed... whatever, it is I can't wait.

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

That Southern B****

If they get rid of Desmond, how are they going to do the AC games? I mean, Desmond uses the Animus to live out the lives of his ancestors. If there is no Desmond, then whose ancestors are we playing? Or did I miss something?
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I thought AC3 would be a Desmond game and that would wrap up his story, but it appears Desmond is yet again only a fraction of the game. They could've done so much with Desmond, but the fact they have only made him a minor distraction is probably what is making people fed up with the poor guy.

If they give him a bigger role, then more people would care about the modern day story. Personally, I find it fascinating but ubisoft have kind of underutilised it.
    Sig and Avatar made by ABSTRACT678

Check Those Corners

Desmond was shit after AC1. Now i just want to be the kickass assassin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Desmond was shit after AC1. Now i just want to be the kickass assassin.
    Desmond was always shit, just like his voice actor!

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Desmond was always shit, just like his voice actor!