Nine mans morris

This is a discussion on Nine mans morris within the Assassin's Creed III forum, part of the A; Anybody have any sound strategies about beating it at the homestead? I've beaten both 6 and 9 before in boston ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Nine mans morris

Anybody have any sound strategies about beating it at the homestead? I've beaten both 6 and 9 before in boston but on the homestead it seems much more difficult.

Ghost Assassin

Well, generally, you don't want to lose pieces and you want the CPU to lose it's pieces. When the CPU loses enough, he will begin using the fly around bs moves and you just have to keep trying to get a mill and remove the one last piece to finish him off. This could take a while since the computer is a complete bitch that will do anything to keep the game dragging on. Try to look at some YouTube videos of how other people played, it will give you a good visual guide of how to deal with certain moves.

Oh and do you have to beat them for a trophy? I don't remember the trophy list.

PRO Member

Yes you have to beat the game for the trophy

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The reason it's harder is because the game in the Homestead is expert difficulty and the one in Boston is likely beginner or something. Watching Youtube videos might help, but I've tried watching them and they're basically useless because all of them use a similar variation of my strategy. You can't exactly follow the video move for move because the AI on your game will obviously play differently than the AI you see on the video. I've tried a good 15 or so times in a row with Ollie, trying to beat him, and to no avail. It's strategy mixed with luck. The luck being you have to hope the AI makes a mistake you can exploit correctly.
    Use the basic strategy you would use for a game of tic-tac-toe, set up two possible mills early on to ensure no matter which he blocks, you'll still get a mill. The tricky part is blocking his mills at the same time you try to make yours.

If I ever beat this guy, I'll be sure to let you know how I've done it.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lvl 3 - Bronze

It took me a while and a lot of careful planning, but I just did it. It helps to think about the AI moves way in advance. The best video I've found so far for all the games is Assassin's Creed 3 :: Original Gamer Achievement Guide - YouTube
    I actually followed what he did until the AI on my game did something different, then used my own strategy for the rest. It finally paid off.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------