Assassin's Creed III Ending/Story discussion [Obvious Spoilers]

This is a discussion on Assassin's Creed III Ending/Story discussion [Obvious Spoilers] within the Assassin's Creed III forum, part of the A; First of all, if you don't want the ending of this game, or sections of the series' story being spoiled ...

PRO Member

Assassin's Creed III Ending/Story discussion [Obvious Spoilers]

First of all, if you don't want the ending of this game, or sections of the series' story being spoiled then don't read on. Seriously if you're stupid enough to go so I couldn't give a shit, you deserve to get it ruined for you.

I couldn't find a thread for this, surprisingly, but if someones already started one that I've missed just let me know.

Anyhoo. What do you guys think of the game and ending?

I didn't come across any of these apparent bugs which is good, and as for the actual gameplay content for me it was superb, the environment was awesome and the way the handled Connor's dads story at the start was brilliant, even if it did make the start of the game a little long winded. Connor's dad just ended up having so much more depth as a 'bad guy' to me than those found in the other games.

The end of Connor's story was too rushed for me, they seemed to want to squeeze it in a little too much, one minute I'm killing his dad, the next I'm killing the dude with black hair.

On to the main piece, Desmond's story.

Ever since playing ACI, I've just completely fell in love with the story of the games, the way they thread neatly between real world historical events just really interested me. And I always remember scouring the internet after playing each game trying to find analysis's of the endings just to pick up extra pieces of the story, especially after the first and second games.

The ending of Desmond's story (If it truly is) is exactly what I was expecting, yet I see people bitching and moaning about it? Did you really expect a game that's kept everything so secretive and forced you to look into the story to understand it to simply hand you the answers to the games story just like that?

1). That'd make no sense in terms of carrying on the franchise without that sense of mystery

2). That's just not the assassin's creed way for me, its been like this from the start, why change it drastically now.

What did you think to the whole epilogue bit? For me it helped nothing in Connor's story, but I liked the whole hacker speaking to you in the animus thing at the end (Or was it Desmond trapped in the animus?)

The whole choice between restarting the cycle of human life or giving in to Juno was decent in my eyes, how the whole series looked like a trail of pieces left behind by Minerva waiting for the inevitable date when Desmond sees them all, and brings himself to the temple only to be side tracked by Juno and nearly tricked into freeing her.

The main flaw that I see is how would Juno hide this? And if she's powerful enough to hide this or whatever, how the hell is someone on Earth supposed to stop it?

I like the idea of bringing 'Eve' into this, but I really thought that was gonna be Lucy...

And will the Assassin's and Templars end up uniting, even if only for a little while to fight the force that is Juno

There's just so many stray threads with this story that I want them to tie up so I just can't wait for the next one.

I'm gonna hate the amount of people the reply like "Hurrrrrrrrr i lyk game naw cus iz in 'murrica" that don't appreciate how awesome this story is

Angel of Death

Not going to lie, I found the ending to be pretty lame. I already knew he was going to die, there is no secret about that, but it was so boring and everything happened in a matter of minutes basically. The news networks proved the world was saved, but all it was was Desmond dying (maybe mind is dead, body alive), and Juno being released into the world, then the world being saved. I hope they make IV next year or the year after so we know what happened after Juno was released.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Having finished the story last night I have to say I'm disappointed. Glitches and bugs aside, the game's story was disappointing.

Connor's introduction into the Assassin Order was horrible. The Assassin Order doesn't even exist unless you count an old man and a boy wearing assassin robes. The creed is not even mentioned. The only reason Connor is an assassin is because they needed someone who had the key so Desmond can find it. In fact, the whole Templar vs Assassin war is just there and isn't given much attention. The Native Americans should've been given a bigger role, but the entire storyline that happens in the past is just a filler for 2012.

Desmond's ending wasn't much better. They were preparing players for the end of the world only to have it resolved by the touch of a button and a magical shield. It left a nice little cliff hanger but we all knew it was going to happen. However, it will be interesting to see what happens after that.

All in all, I was disappointed by Connor's role in the entire war. He's just in it for the revenge and doesn't even care for the Order or it's Creed. The assassin recruits are a bunch of butchers and mercenaries who are just in it for gameplay's sake. The gameplay as fun but the story could've used more polishing. Much more.

Lord of all Goat-Men

I'd like to know how Connor got Eagle Vision. A gene passed down through the generations, held only by a handful of special individuals, and Connor just HAPPENED to have it. Or the old man taught it to him. Which is dumb.

Also the ending was a huge let down. On the whole I thought the in-engine cut-scenes improved dramatically over the previous installments, but the ending scene just plain sucked, and so did the story. IMO Ubisoft should have held the game back by a month and polished it off.

The story as a whole was pretty contrived. Juno really had to make Desmond play through Connor's whole life to show him the final resting place of a key? Really? At least in Assassin's Creed 2 the purpose of playing Ezio's story was to allow for the bleeding effect to teach Desmond how to be a badass, and in Assassin's Creed Desmond was forced by Abstergo who were systematically searching for something.

I feel they also failed to make good use of the fact that Connor was part Native American. There was a clear tension between Connor and the other white protagonists, but apart from that, the spirit guide mission and the fact that he carries a Tomahawk, they really didn't explore it well enough.

I'm also kind of annoyed that Desmond died. I don't particularly like him as a character, and his death was sign-posted well before it happened, but it basically invalidated your entire efforts of the second game. What was the point of making Desmond a master assassin? To get him to steal 2 energon cubes and then kill himself. Awesome.

Finally, I'm really not a fan of the whole "the threat was averted, but the thing that saved us will now fuck everything up even more" trope.

I really do feel that Assassin's Creed 3 was a huge improvement over the previous titles, and its definitely my favourite of the series, but it also has some serious flaws.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Having finished the story last night I have to say I'm disappointed. Glitches and bugs aside, the game's story was disappointing.

Connor's introduction into the Assassin Order was horrible. The Assassin Order doesn't even exist unless you count an old man and a boy wearing assassin robes. The creed is not even mentioned. The only reason Connor is an assassin is because they needed someone who had the key so Desmond can find it. In fact, the whole Templar vs Assassin war is just there and isn't given much attention. The Native Americans should've been given a bigger role, but the entire storyline that happens in the past is just a filler for 2012.

Desmond's ending wasn't much better. They were preparing players for the end of the world only to have it resolved by the touch of a button and a magical shield. It left a nice little cliff hanger but we all knew it was going to happen. However, it will be interesting to see what happens after that.

All in all, I was disappointed by Connor's role in the entire war. He's just in it for the revenge and doesn't even care for the Order or it's Creed. The assassin recruits are a bunch of butchers and mercenaries who are just in it for gameplay's sake. The gameplay as fun but the story could've used more polishing. Much more.
    Yeah I never really got why Achiles was a lone Assassin in America, and I see where you're coming from about the lack of creed. But for me the whole though of having a creed and a brotherhood that's so well implemented into one city or region, like in the first game, it only really makes sense and looks right in older time zones, such as ACI and II. I'd assume that Ubisoft struggled to get it to look and feel right in the time zone chosen, which seems more and more likely to have been chosen simply for the fact that it's, well, America. For both the point of Desmond being in America (Wasn't he?) and it selling the game to Americans who'll buy it just because 'Murrica.

They did seem to bring in gameplay elements just because they'd already made them and could drag 'em in, such as the use of the assassins. And I agree about how they should've bought the natives in more

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I'd like to know how Connor got Eagle Vision. A gene passed down through the generations, held only by a handful of special individuals, and Connor just HAPPENED to have it. Or the old man taught it to him. Which is dumb.

Also the ending was a huge let down. On the whole I thought the in-engine cut-scenes improved dramatically over the previous installments, but the ending scene just plain sucked, and so did the story. IMO Ubisoft should have held the game back by a month and polished it off.

The story as a whole was pretty contrived. Juno really had to make Desmond play through Connor's whole life to show him the final resting place of a key? Really? At least in Assassin's Creed 2 the purpose of playing Ezio's story was to allow for the bleeding effect to teach Desmond how to be a badass, and in Assassin's Creed Desmond was forced by Abstergo who were systematically searching for something.

I feel they also failed to make good use of the fact that Connor was part Native American. There was a clear tension between Connor and the other white protagonists, but apart from that, the spirit guide mission and the fact that he carries a Tomahawk, they really didn't explore it well enough.

I'm also kind of annoyed that Desmond died. I don't particularly like him as a character, and his death was sign-posted well before it happened, but it basically invalidated your entire efforts of the second game. What was the point of making Desmond a master assassin? To get him to steal 2 energon cubes and then kill himself. Awesome.

Finally, I'm really not a fan of the whole "the threat was averted, but the thing that saved us will now fuck everything up even more" trope.

I really do feel that Assassin's Creed 3 was a huge improvement over the previous titles, and its definitely my favourite of the series, but it also has some serious flaws.
    I don't get how you can make a point about the eagle vision when you could say the same about all characters, every now and then someone in that bloodline JUST HAPPENS to get it, and convinently enough they play a piece in desmonds story.

In my eyes the main reason Juno has you play as Connor is just to build up that sense of trust (For the player and Desmond) and familiarity that very nearly blindsides Desmond into freeing her, even though he does so anyway when he learns the truth.

Again the whole point in making the player build him up as an Assassin is just to make it believable in my eyes. Even though we all saw his death coming, it'd have been even more obvious without them making it look like the world (and I guess it did really) revolves around Desmond. It was a shame to see how good he'd gotten though with the Desmond missions only to get killed, I kinda liked him. Seems that Ubisoft were only using him as almost a bus, to take the player to different stops, as in the different characters. Hence the lack of desmond in any AC advert

Lvl 8 - Gold

I forgot to mention one more thing...how Connor kills Lee.

They fight in that shipyard and both get wounded. After Lee escapes he decided to stop by a tavern even though he's seriously wounded? It's like they ran out of time and just decided to wrap it up then and there. I can just imagine the following:

The writers are working on the ending there and in comes one of the project heads and tells them to wrap it up.

Writer 1: Ok Sir, we'll get right on it. *speaks to the other guy* Now, where were we?
    Writer 2: We were working on this cutscene where Connor chases Lee past this tavern.
    W1: Ok, let's just wrap it up there. Have Lee stop by the tavern for a drink for no reason and have the player kill him there.
    W2: Done. Now let's go get a drink.

It seriously felt rushed.

Angel of Death

I forgot to talk about Connor's ending. It seemed lacking. I want to know more about his past after the war ended, not just him looking at a bunch of civi's laughing at the Brits. I wanted to know his wife mostly, but maybe they'll add it as DLC.

Speaking of DLC, it says Washington was a great friend, but Washington was not in the game that much, and half the time he was, Connor threatened him; he seemed insignificant.

PRO Member

When I started the game I was a bit like come on I wanna be Connor already, but then at the end of Haytham's story when it's revealed he is a Templar I was like fuck yes that was good. I enjoyed the introduction of Connor, but after you meet Achiles and become an Assassin it feels a bit weird... I agree with what you guys say, Connor doesn't really seem to "care" about it as Altair and Ezio did, and he's in it mainly because of revenge. Ezio started with revenge too but then he really embraced the Brotherhood, and that's what Connor didn't do. Of course they are different characters in different time periods, but an Assassin is an Assassin.

Also the ending of Connor's story doesn't feel like an ending, if he's an Assassin then there's really no end for him until he dies, so I thought the way the game ended with him was good, it's not a goodbye