Need help with hunting

This is a discussion on Need help with hunting within the Assassin's Creed III forum, part of the A; Okay so I'm currently working towards 100% Synchronization (I'm on 98% at the moment), and the last remaining challenges are ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Need help with hunting

Okay so I'm currently working towards 100% Synchronization (I'm on 98% at the moment), and the last remaining challenges are for Hunting. Normally it isn't a problem, but I can't work out what I'm doing wrong. The challenge is to kill 5 animals using bait and a snare. Sounds simple. Yet when I place the snare and then the bait (or bait then the snare), then hide, the animal walks up to it and either a) Eats the bait and doesn't die, or b) Dies after eating the bait. However, even if b) occurs, when I skin the animal, I get a pelt etc but the logbook is still on 0. Is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

PRO Member

I was having the same issue myself then what I started to do is instead of putting the snare in the weeds and such in the woods put it on the trail away from the plant life or a very clean clearing bait it quickly then hide. My thoughts were that maybe it isnt registering because of it being near plants the animals might eat. instead of registering the bait and snare. either way since I started to do this I started getting bait and snare kills.

I do the bait after the snare but I think ive gotten it doing it before the snare once also.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'll try that method and see if it works.

Ghost Assassin

Well, what I did was put a bunch of snares, throw bait on them, and then I hid in a bush beside them. That's all there is to it as far as I know.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Hmm, I'll try that as well. So use 5 snares and lots of bait, out in the open, away from bushes?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Okay I've just noticed when a deer goes to my snare it disappears and keeps the bait. This is interesting, I'll have to try somewhere with only smaller animals.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by TheBonobo4 View Post
    Okay I've just noticed when a deer goes to my snare it disappears and keeps the bait. This is interesting, I'll have to try somewhere with only smaller animals.
    Yeah, you can only snare small animals. Bigger ones will just break the snare and eat the bait. I was thinking of asking you if you were baiting areas with too big of prey.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Okay I got it to catch a hare this method, so it's on 1/5. But i did the exact same method repeatedly and it still says 1. Is it 5 different types of animals?

PRO Member

nope can be 5 of the same animals

another good thing to do is do it when you see a bunch of the small animals around so it doesnt give deer or any big animals a chance to eat all the bait. If done properly I noticed when you go to skin the animal bait should still be seen on the ground where the animal is.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I hope you are spreading 1 bait per snare. I have noticed that if you only spread bait once, you only get credit for one animal.

> Restart Button <

I'm pretty sure I did this will almost all bunnies. When I was wroking towards it, I would lay down 1 bait and 3 snares surrounding the outside of it. Usuually 2 bunnies/coons/foxes got trapped before the bait was done and it counted towards this challenge fine. I hope you figure out how to get this done for yourself though.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Yeah I've done it now today. It's very strange and possibly glitched, but what I did was plant the snare then bait it, but not move (get the bait as soon as you plant the snare). Also planting the snares on a road seemed to help. Not sure why that worked, but it did.

My last challenge for both hunting and altogether is now to finish the Hunting map.