Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dumb trophies

This is a discussion on Dumb trophies within the Batman: Arkham City forum, part of the B; For the most part, I really loved the game. However, there are a few nits I have, and one of ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Dumb trophies

For the most part, I really loved the game. However, there are a few nits I have, and one of them is DUMB trophies, which BAC has more than a few of. IMNSHO, trophies should commemorate accomplishing something difficult, not doing something utterly routine or inane.

Case in point - I was gobsmacked when a trophy unlocked simply because I picked up a randomly ringing phone {and acquired the serial caller side quest}. Trophies should be awarded for COMPLETING side missions, not acquiring them. Holy devalued trophies Batman.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 2 - Bronze

i dont mind stupid trophies. its just the stupid trophy to hard trophy ratio that i mind. i like a good balance of them.

Buy my book, Alteration

There are still trophies for completing side-missions...

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

what does gobsmacked mean?

most games have 48-51 trophies til plat
    this game comes with 61 so i would expect it to have a few dumb trophies
    what game doesnt
    burnout paradise had the same thing
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    what does gobsmacked mean?
    It means really shocked mate

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    It means really shocked mate
    Exactly so. I suppose the full form of that little tidbit of colloquial English might be 'stunned by being smacked in the gob by something wholly unexpected" ... with 'gob' being a colloquialism for one's 'gobbler' or mouth.

Explaining that little morsel of linguistic etymology was my good deed for the day.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Renegade Time Lord

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    For the most part, I really loved the game. However, there are a few nits I have, and one of them is DUMB trophies, which BAC has more than a few of. IMNSHO, trophies should commemorate accomplishing something difficult, not doing something utterly routine or inane.

Case in point - I was gobsmacked when a trophy unlocked simply because I picked up a randomly ringing phone {and acquired the serial caller side quest}. Trophies should be awarded for COMPLETING side missions, not acquiring them. Holy devalued trophies Batman.
    Yes you get a trophy for picking up the phone but you also get one for completing that side mission so it balances out. Like with the distress flare you get one for starting and one for finishing. Simples.
    Hello, I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm The Doctor and I will be your victim this evening, are you my mummy?

Avatar, Signature and Banner by Bladia. Thank You!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

How about wasting my time changing my date and time settings 15 times for the calendar man trophy! It's appropriate for the character, but man, seriously?? All the other trophies don't bother me at all.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Calendar man trophy is just time consuming, it's the kind of thing you're best off completing in one sitting so you don't procrastinate from finishing it. That's why I'll be doing it after I finish off collecting the remaining 200 Riddler trophies!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Totally agreed that the calendar man trophy looks stupid. What game designer in their right mind would force an RPG player to either spend an entire year earning a trophy, or dicking around with the date/time settings on their console, just to satisfy the blasted trophy. The designer who trophized that needs to be bitchslapped, badly.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I like dumb or easy trophies....its awesom to get 50 trophies in a day!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Let's see, there's the Sly Collection where the first part gives you a trophy for starting the damn game. Then there's Assassin's Creed 2 where you get a trophy for being born. Hellz yeah!

Then there's Mahvel 3. You get a trophy for playing online. You don't have to win, all you gotta do is play online.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom View Post
    Let's see, there's the Sly Collection where the first part gives you a trophy for starting the damn game. Then there's Assassin's Creed 2 where you get a trophy for being born. Hellz yeah!

Then there's Mahvel 3. You get a trophy for playing online. You don't have to win, all you gotta do is play online.
    Then there is the Simpsons game where you get a trophy for pressing start. & I don't think I even have to mention detuned trophies..

Trophies are an extra, who cares if they're easy or hard. Back then there were no trophies and we would still play the game. I take trophies as an extra "side-quest". Besides, why do you complain? That's one more trophy to your collection
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Death is Awaiting....

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Then there is the Simpsons game where you get a trophy for pressing start. & I don't think I even have to mention detuned trophies..

Trophies are an extra, who cares if they're easy or hard. Back then there were no trophies and we would still play the game. I take trophies as an extra "side-quest". Besides, why do you complain? That's one more trophy to your collection
    Hey man, i thought detuned was on of the hardest games to 100% out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Lvl 4 - Silver

I didn't really have an issue with any of the trophies in this.

Aperture Test Subject

Hmmm, I think this is first time ever I've heard someone complain about GETTING a trophy!

Do I need to mention Heavy Rain!?

1000th Trophy | | Resistance 3 | Counter-Sniper | 10-Sep-2011

Regional Manager of War

It doesn't matter trophies are just added content to the game and not my reason to play 95% of the games I have played so far. So there are a few trophies in each game that demand nothing or a ridiculous amount of time, just enjoy the game and let them come towards you.

P.S detuned

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I think the trophies for Batman Arkham City are brilliantly balanced, making you play every aspect of the game! To me, that makes the trophy list well-rounded and faultless!

PRO Member

KOF XII has the dumbest trophies ever

Lvl 6 - Silver

This game also seems to have a lot of badly MISVALUED TROPHIES.

For example, having catwoman meet poison ivy (after a brief and easy fight with her guards) gets you an easy silver trophy, but spending hours and hours of thumb-blistering play getting a top 3 medal personal best score on ALL of the regular and extreme challenges in riddler challenge mode only nets you 2 lowly bronze trophies (both should arguably be gold, IMHO). WTF ?

A glance at the trophy list shows that a full third of the trophies in this game are individually either under or over valued.
    Amazon Reviewer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast