Robin DLC

This is a discussion on Robin DLC within the Batman: Arkham City forum, part of the B; Figured I'd start a post for anyone who wants to comment on the Robin DLC for BATMAN : Arkham City. ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Robin DLC

Figured I'd start a post for anyone who wants to comment on the Robin DLC for BATMAN : Arkham City. Do you like it? What is your favorite costume? Favorite challenge? etc.

Personally, I enjoy playing the challenges as Robin, immensely. There's something satisfying as hell about beating the snot out of criminals with a solid metal bo-staff! ;-) He has some pretty cool moves and it makes a nice solid sound when he thwacks someone with the staff. As far as the costumes go, I like the default skin the best. The others are novel in their own way, but the default is my favorite.

And that's my 2 cents. The bottom line though? Is it worth the $6.99 they're going to charge for it in the future as DLC? I guess that depends on how much you like the combat challeges in the game and how much you like Robin. If you answered 'a lot' to both, then, this DLC's for you! If not, it still might be worth having as a novelty. If I didn't get it free as a pre-order bonus, I'd still probably get it, play it, enjoy it and then spend some time debating if I REALLY thought it was worth it. For whatever it's worth.....

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

Threat

Is it confirmed that it will be 6.99$ when released? I'd be interested in it.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

BZA
    Lvl 2 - Bronze

Rocksteady have to do a Robin Game!!
    [Platinums: Infamous, Infamous 2, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City, Rage, Catherine.]

]

Buy my book, Alteration

I have it from Best Buy pre-order, and it's great! Robin feels like a new character, not a cut-and-paste.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Fight Off Your Demons

I'm quite amazed at how different each character feels. At first I thought he was slower, but after playing with him some more I realized he's actually faster, but he has more moves that it slows down to let you enjoy kicking the crap out of people. I also quite enjoy his gadgets, and especially how he uses the batclaw. All in all, it's fun, but I enjoy the combat challenges quite a bit. It's a shame you can't use him in the game, even if it was just roaming after you beat the story like you can do with Catwoman.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'll probably end up buying it and I think its great how they've put dlc trophies for completing all the challenges with Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing! Think is really going to add longevity to the game!

Team Dingleberry

I got the Robin DLC with my pre-order, and I've done a few combat challenges with him so far... he feels a bit slower in movement than Batman does. It will take some getting used to.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by BZA View Post
    Rocksteady have to do a Robin Game!!
    Correction, Rocksteady need to next do a Superman game

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Viper87 View Post
    Correction, Rocksteady need to next do a Superman game
    The inherent problems with implementing games for class-one superpowered heroes like Superman is:

a) How do you limit the geographic borders of a story for a character with not just the ability to fly, but also super speed ?

b) How do you provide enough challenges for someone with Class-one super strength ?

With Batman they can, and did, limit the story scene by putting him first on an Island (BAA) and then in an "Escape From New York" type story setting with a walled-off section of Gotham City (BAC) ... but you can't easily do that for Superpants, without resorting to a fish-out-of-water type plot involving an alien world or the loss (or dramatic limitation) of part or all of his powers.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm sure if they really thought about it, there's ways to make a really well crafted and faithful superman game (in story and gameplay).

They already seemed to be on the right track with Superman Returns in terms of making Superman strong, having the city take damage and being able to fly around Metropolis. It would be a decent basis to start from at least.

It doesn't mean because Superman is very powerful that it limits things. It doesn't even have t be entirely open world (or open space), similar to Batman Arkham City. Maybe a similar kind of idea in terms of moving around the area, which could maybe include Metropolis and Smallville a short distance outside the city. As for his powers, the first thing would be to accurately nail all his powers. The next would be (like the Batman games with his gadgets and detective skills) find creative and effective means of using those powers in certain situations. While Superman wouldn't have the combat skills of a Batman, I'm sure they could find stuff for him to attack (or even something, as simple as explaining that Luthor has equipped enemies or machines with slight traces of Kryptonite if superman must take damage form lesser threats.)
    I'm sure someone like Paul Dini (Who also worked on Superman: The Animated Series (or someone else familiar with the character)) could craft and come up with as faithful a story for the character and again find satisfying ways of including familiar villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Zod, Parasite, Metallo, Toyman, Doomsday, Mongul, etc. Maybe throw in familiar voice actors like Clancy Brown, Tim Daly / George Newbern for example, and have Rocksteady visually capture the bright world of Metropolis & Smallville and it could be good.

I'm not sure if they'd ever make one, but I have no doubt if the Rocksteady were do implement similar lines of ideas in a way that it would work for Superman, it would be a hell of a Superman game finally. Hell, since they're owned by Time Warner, they could make all their superhero games.

On the matter of the Robin DLC, I hope to try it once I finish the game main game and then can be better suited to talk about it.
    Platinum Trophies: WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010, WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011, WWE '12

Lvl 1 - Bronze

it comes out on my birthday. xD

Lvl 5 - Silver

I cant find Robin DLC in the PSN store. There is only nightwing DLC and nothing more ???
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

Lvl 6 - Silver

Just a quick question about this; Does this count towards the 100% trophy completion (platinum etc)? If I didn't buy this/nightwing (I got catwoman already from amazon), would I not be able to get the 100% *eventually*? I like the look of this DLC, it looks cool. Course if I DO get this, I'd have to eventually invest in the Nightwing... cheers

Team Dingleberry

Quote Originally Posted by iraqoz View Post
    I cant find Robin DLC in the PSN store. There is only nightwing DLC and nothing more ???
    It was a pre-order bonus from Best Buy... I don't think it's been released to everyone else yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    Just a quick question about this; Does this count towards the 100% trophy completion (platinum etc)? If I didn't buy this/nightwing (I got catwoman already from amazon), would I not be able to get the 100% *eventually*? I like the look of this DLC, it looks cool. Course if I DO get this, I'd have to eventually invest in the Nightwing... cheers
    Only the Batman challenges are required for the platinum and Perfect Knight trophies.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by simula67 View Post
    It was a pre-order bonus from Best Buy... I don't think it's been released to everyone else yet.
    dammit what about the carnival survival map ?? dont tell me this is also a preorder bonus ??
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

PRO Member

dammit what about the carnival survival map ?? dont tell me this is also a preorder bonus ??

Yeah that was a game stop pre order. I got the carnival code on my receipt when i picked up my copy at game stop.
    THIS AWESOME AVY AND SIG BY THE ONE AND ONLY KID420247

Team Dingleberry

According to Kotaku, the Robin DLC is out today.

The Boy Wonder Becomes a Man in Today's Arkham City Robin DLC

Lvl 6 - Silver

Only the Batman challenges are required for the platinum and Perfect Knight trophies.
    Thanks for the info - not that I'm anywhere near platinuming this beast yet...

Gotham's Reckoning

Quote Originally Posted by Viper87 View Post
    I'm sure if they really thought about it, there's ways to make a really well crafted and faithful superman game (in story and gameplay).

They already seemed to be on the right track with Superman Returns in terms of making Superman strong, having the city take damage and being able to fly around Metropolis. It would be a decent basis to start from at least.

It doesn't mean because Superman is very powerful that it limits things. It doesn't even have t be entirely open world (or open space), similar to Batman Arkham City. Maybe a similar kind of idea in terms of moving around the area, which could maybe include Metropolis and Smallville a short distance outside the city. As for his powers, the first thing would be to accurately nail all his powers. The next would be (like the Batman games with his gadgets and detective skills) find creative and effective means of using those powers in certain situations. While Superman wouldn't have the combat skills of a Batman, I'm sure they could find stuff for him to attack (or even something, as simple as explaining that Luthor has equipped enemies or machines with slight traces of Kryptonite if superman must take damage form lesser threats.)
    I'm sure someone like Paul Dini (Who also worked on Superman: The Animated Series (or someone else familiar with the character)) could craft and come up with as faithful a story for the character and again find satisfying ways of including familiar villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Zod, Parasite, Metallo, Toyman, Doomsday, Mongul, etc. Maybe throw in familiar voice actors like Clancy Brown, Tim Daly / George Newbern for example, and have Rocksteady visually capture the bright world of Metropolis & Smallville and it could be good.

I'm not sure if they'd ever make one, but I have no doubt if the Rocksteady were do implement similar lines of ideas in a way that it would work for Superman, it would be a hell of a Superman game finally. Hell, since they're owned by Time Warner, they could make all their superhero games.

On the matter of the Robin DLC, I hope to try it once I finish the game main game and then can be better suited to talk about it.
    The Superman Returns game was god awful. You couldn't do any exploring without the city coming under attack every five seconds and then as soon as you deal with it, it happens again and if you choose to ignore it, the city's health bar depletes and you end having to start from a checkpoint.

On a related note, I haven't got the Robin DLC yet but I'm surprised to hear it's good especially seeing as you're playing as Robin and I always thought that everyone hated Robin.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Buy my book, Alteration

He's awesome, but I wish further DLC would be a free-roam thing so you can roam about the city as him.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!