Batman: Arkham City Review By Dsluckay

This is a discussion on Batman: Arkham City Review By Dsluckay within the Batman: Arkham City forum, part of the B; Overview This Batman: Arkham Asylum sequel follows Batman as he tries to survive in Arkham City, a city made for ...

Change is mediocre

Batman: Arkham City Review By Dsluckay

Overview

This Batman: Arkham Asylum sequel follows Batman as he tries to survive in Arkham City, a city made for the lunatics and criminals of Gotham City. Hugo Strange is about to release Protocol 10, a plan in which no one knows about, and Batman must find out.

Gameplay

The gameplay in this series is greatly focused on. The smooth flowing punches really makes you feel like you are Batman, which is exactly what we want. Batman is known for his excessive gadgets. From bat-a-rangs to remote electricity charges. These tools definitely tip the odds in your favor when dealing with the villains of Arkham City.

Rocksteady really loves to impress with their freeflow combat system. Sometimes it is fun just to pick fights with large groups, just to take them out within a matter of seconds. This makes it more fun, so you aren't just focusing on one enemy at a time. Rocksteady greatly improved from Arkham Asylum as well. The controls used to feel a little clunky, and sometimes awkward. They really smoothed that out. The only time the controls feel clunky in Arkham City is when you are able to control Bruce Wayne at the beginning. That is the only flaw I have seen within this game. The cape gliding is amazingly fun, as well as just exploring the city.

Another improved combat tactic is the detective mode. Detective mode is a sort of vision that allows you to look at things with a different point of view. You see people skeletons, as well as hidden and breakable objects.

Singleplayer

The main plot in Arkham City is that Batman gets into Arkham City, a jail for criminals, and tries to get to the bottom of Hugo Strange's master plan. Protocol 10. You also have to deal with the Joker. I won't get into much details about the Joker, as I don't want to spoil too much of the plot. But Joker is a big part of it.

As some may know (whoever played Arkham Asylum), there are many Riddler challenges. More so in Arkham City, with 400+ challenges. This includes tedious Riddler trophies, which are scattered throughout the city. There is also riddles, which require you to scan certain things in the environment in order to solve them. And if that isn't enough, the Riddler has taken several hostages, each in their own trap. It is up to you to find enough collectables and solve the trap and save the hostages.

If you bought the game new, then you also get the ability to play as Catwoman. Catwoman's plot is that she got some of her things stolen, and went wants them back. With the help of Poison Ivy, she tries to break into a vault and take back her loot. Catwoman also has her own Riddler trophies. There are 40 of them scattered throughout Arkham City.

Arkham City seems to have a wider variety of villains as well. Two-Face, Penguin, and Joker are all fighting to be the ruler of Arkham City, rendering the rest of the population as pawns in their devilish game. You can actually see the difference in the thug enemies, and can easily tell whose side they are on. Two-Faces' thugs have one black side, and the other white. Joker's thugs are dressed as clowns (obviously ). And Penguin's thugs are like normal Arkham City residents.

Batman seems to be caught in the middle of these faction feuds, but pays each of them a visit throughout the course of the game.

Technical

Flat-out, Batman: Arkham City is beautiful. Arkham city has a great atmosphere, with bright-lights and some darker places in other areas. The graphics are gorgeous, and at times it is hard to believe I was playing a game. The character models are very well done, especially Penguin. There aren't any glitches at all, that I could find.

The controls are smooth and well thought out. Props to Rocksteady for making such a brilliant combat system. Beating up a group of 50 inmates is just as fun as it sounds, especially as Batman. The gadgets are much easier to use, like in a group too, with the quick-fire ability.

Still, the one big flaw I can see is the Bruce Wayne controls. He walks a little goofy and awkward. Do note that this is only at the beginning and from there on this problem was non-existent. I just feel like it should be said.

Trophies

Like I mentioned above, there are 400+ Riddler challenges in Arkham City. There aren't any trophies requiring you to just collect them, but you need all of them in order to free the hostages, which have trophies. There are side mission trophies, which aren't hard at all. The rest really aren't bad, except the Challenge trophies. Whoever played Arkham Asylum knows that the challenges are not a walk in the park. You need all medals (meaning you need to ace Predator and Combat, as well as Campaign challenges) in order to earn the trophies. Not as hard as Arkham Asylum, but they aren't that easy either.

Closing Thoughts

Batman:Arkham City is epic, and I suggest to anyone that hasn't already to go out and buy it. It truly is an extraordinary game. The plot is intriguing and interesting, and the environment is very well done. A great game is all I can say.

Gameplay: 10/10
    One of the most fun games that I have ever played. Very smooth and epic. It makes you feel calm when faced with dozen's of enemies.

Singleplayer: 10/10
    An intriguing storyline is an understatement. Once you finish the game, the plot comes together perfectly. It will keep anyone entertained for days.

Technical: 10/10
    Great graphics and physics, with no real problems. An achievement for modern-day games.

Overall: 10/10

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Nice review I just got the platinum.

Buy my book, Alteration

Nice job DS. Arkham City is the best game of the year, maybe even in ever.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by digitalman123 View Post
    Nice job DS. Arkham City is the best game of the year, maybe even in ever.
    I agree, though I havent played Skyrim yet, so I cant say for sure.

Buy my book, Alteration

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    I agree, though I havent played Skyrim yet, so I cant say for sure.
    Yeah, I haven't either. Looks cool though.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Fantastic review. Did you send this to Gauss by any chance?

Crocodile Hunter

dammit DS ur making me want to skip giving out christmas pressies to people and buy this for myself

Sig by Apokolypz

The One and Only

I can see a gray name for dsluckay coming soon

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 2 - Bronze

the challenges were harder but i still got the plat!

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I can see a gray name for dsluckay coming soon
    Thanks Dare

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    dammit DS ur making me want to skip giving out christmas pressies to people and buy this for myself
    You definitely should

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Fantastic review. Did you send this to Gauss by any chance?
    Yeah I did, and thanks That means a lot. I was really intrigued when you told me you were looking for people for the RT.