Combat is just a little off?

This is a discussion on Combat is just a little off? within the Batman: Arkham Origins forum, part of the B; Am I the only one who thinks there are a lot of little things wrong with the combat? It seems ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Combat is just a little off?

Am I the only one who thinks there are a lot of little things wrong with the combat? It seems like I'm getting hit a lot more than I used to. Batman doesn't seem to go after the guy I want him to quite a bit, the ground pound takes FOREVER, to the point that if there are more guys left I won't use it cause they got such a long time to run up and get me. When a guy attemps to attack me I'll try to attack someone far enough away to get away they seem to chase me down or follow me a pretty long distance and still hit me. Batmans counter reflexs seem to be half what they used to be. It seems like the enemies wait till I'm committed to hit someone before the lightning pops up and then I can't counter it. Add to that the fact that it just feels slower, and you have to hit a ton of people before you can do a special move makes this almost unbearable. Arkham city was so natural that it became almost instinctual. I love this game but it just ain't right, I'm hoping I adjust and enjoy it as much as the past games. I just wondered if I was the only one who thinks that. I'm really having a hard time with this one. I am really enjoying the story though:-)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yes Batman sucks at the beginning.. I've 100% platinum end both the first Arkham games and I never took a hit.. Origins is a different story unless you run around getting in fights to build xp and unlock all your combat upgrades first.. Once I did that I never started getting hit on Hard difficulty.

PRO Member

I've found that for some reason you get hit a lot more in the Story Mode than in the Challenges, like punching a guy then pressing to counter an enemy but still get hit anyway. But other than that it's not that different from the previous two games, I've got all the medals in Combat Challenges easily, it's just a matter of mastering the controls.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Yeah I thought something seemed off with the combat too. (especially the countering) Granted, I wasn't great at stringing together combos in any of the Arkham games, but I never got hit so much in the other two.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave people wondering how the hell you did it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I've noticed that the combat is slowed down and has more emphasis on countering.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

Lvl 7 - Gold

I don't know that the combat is that different but maybe just a little more difficult. Plus, it might be that you are a little rusty if it's been a while since you played an Arkham game. The enemies seem to move a little quicker and they are more aggressive for sure. I generally like to stun ax12 couple enemies and start a beatdown and counter in between until I build up a x12 and go into free flow focus mode. then I like to pick them off with gadgets and do a lot of beatdowns/countering and a fair amount of dodging to avoid becoming surrounded. But everyone has their own style and that's one of the best things about this combat system.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

After putting some more time and unlocking some upgrades it does get better. The enmities are a lot more aggressive, and seem to punch faster than batman does but other than the combat being "different than before" the game as a whole is really good. I most likely won't plat it because of so many plathroughs and the multiplayer but I'm really enjoying the story in the SP. Maybe they'll patch it eventually. Also wish they wouldn't have switched the trigger controls around:-)

Lvl 6 - Silver

more difficult is the word with different variety of thugs big and armed, ninjas and ones with knife it's no the same also as previously mentioned it does focus on u pressing Triangle in the right time and countering more than just pressing punch while free flowing i myself am still getting used to this but in time i will get the hangs of it until then just enjoy the story and the various side missions available in this awesome game one simply can't get enough of batman's Gameplay

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide