One simple blunt question about BF3 updates

This is a discussion on One simple blunt question about BF3 updates within the Battlefield 3 forum, part of the B; It's just a quick one, I promise, are you ready for it? Why the fuck is there another massive update ...

PRO Member

One simple blunt question about BF3 updates

It's just a quick one, I promise, are you ready for it?

Why the fuck is there another massive update just for a gameplay patch?

"Oh, but it contains the next dlc"

Does it fuck.

I pay more for a higher speed internet and a bigger PS3 HDD so I normally don't have to care for this, but guess what, either the PSN or EA servers are playing up for me. Meaning after waiting two fucking hours for 1.5gb worth of "Increase gun A damage by 0.000005% ", when I go to check the premium section, the map pack isn't even there.

So I go to the PSN store and search for it. Oh goodie I've found it. And it's another 1.5gb. And it's another two hours.

Anyone care to shed some light on this utterly fucking baffling change of events?

Death is Awaiting....

I'm terribly sorry for your fucking loss, but you don't need to bring this to a PS3 forum talking about BF3. This is trophy forum kind sir. I IZ JUSTRTT JOKNG... If you haven't noticed BF3 updates are long as living fuck, and the map pack in 1.5GB's? What the fuck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Good News, Everyone!

so it is on the store now? it still isn't showing up for me

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schismalicious View Post
    I'm terribly sorry for your fucking loss, but you don't need to bring this to a PS3 forum talking about BF3. This is trophy forum kind sir. I IZ JUSTRTT JOKNG... If you haven't noticed BF3 updates are long as living fuck, and the map pack in 1.5GB's? What the fuck.
    They normally contain the majority of the map pack though, and the servers don't normally limit me to download speeds from the 90's

Lvl 8 - Gold

took me 20 minutes to download the patch,4 minutes to install.

Change is mediocre

I had to wait about 3 or so hours for the patch in Resistance 3, and it was only about 650mb

I can't imagine why a patch for gun damage increases would be 1.5gb though.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    I had to wait about 3 or so hours for the patch in Resistance 3, and it was only about 650mb I can't imagine why a patch for gun damage increases would be 1.5gb though.
    because its obviously more than gun damage.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    because its obviously more than gun damage.
    Then what warrants the same again for the dlc?

No other dev has the same size updates.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The new DLC still not showing for me after the patch!!!!
    Please show your support by liking and subscribing, FREE games to be won monthly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeroHRTv?feature=mhee

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHR.Tv View Post
    The new DLC still not showing for me after the patch!!!!
    If you check in the actual PS Store it should be there

However it's only for premium members for two weeks

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

High server traffic.

Thats the main reason it's taken so long for you, and going by what you said you must have started all the updating/downloading pretty late into the afternoon around the time when people would be home from work and kids from school. Plus the hype this expansion had since this was the one to get excited for alot of people so that also.

Just chose a bad time of day to get started on it all, when you consider the amount of people trying to connect all at once to achieve the same goal. It's worth the wait though.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Then what warrants the same again for the dlc? No other dev has the same size updates.
    this isnt a big install for an expansion pack.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    this isnt a big install for an expansion pack.
    Really? Thank-you for rewording exactly what I've said.

So you're actually agreeing that the patch has nothing to do with the expansion, meaning that it's nothing but a patch.

Meaning that it's nothing but lazy coding for it to take up that much space, because there is no reason why it should be so large.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Really? Thank-you for rewording exactly what I've said. So you're actually agreeing that the patch has nothing to do with the expansion, meaning that it's nothing but a patch. Meaning that it's nothing but lazy coding for it to take up that much space, because there is no reason why it should be so large.
    i didnt reword anything you said,nor did i say the patch did not have anything to do with the expansion pack,actually i would assume it does,all i said is that i dont think that 3 gb is that big of an install for an expanion pack,and to jump to the conclusion that it is lazy coding is baffling.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Lets clarify a few things.

The patch that you are forced to download when starting up Battlefield 3 doesn't include the map pack whatsoever. What it does contain however, is listed in their patch notes (like bug fixes, weapon balancing, etc.), extra content (such as assignments, new weapons, new unlocks, etc.), and cosmetic changes as to how the game looks and feels (like the HUD, menu, weapon skins, animations perhaps?). This can certainly rack up in file size as these are the opportunities DICE uses to fix its game up, aside from the occasional server-side update (to fix major problems).

The DLC map pack however is something separate. I can't say exactly what this download contains, but I'd assume that it would have the maps, and anything related to it included (such as the new game mode, Tank Superiority).

This is just how I assume how they are broken down, I don't have any proof for this so feel free to believe me or not.

Since the patch and the map pack were relatively the same in size, for me, they each took about 30-40 mins for me to download and about 5 mins to install. Too bad it was using up all my bandwidth during that time, so I had to watch TV while it downloaded

EDIT: And as to who is to blame for the delay for the DLC showing up in the store, that would be Sony's fault. DICE has already given Sony the DLC to put in their store, you just have to wait for the PSN store to update all its content, but it may not do so right away since all the content may not be ready to be posted as the Armored Kill DLC isn't the only thing being added to the store for that particular week. I think DICE mentioned a bug in as to why Armored Kill may not show up in the in-game store even when its already available in the standalone PSN store, I'll look up more into this.
    MyAnimeList: Killermachine252 | Sword Art Online <3
    Expand Platcard to see my entire Sword Art Online signature below it

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Really? Thank-you for rewording exactly what I've said.

So you're actually agreeing that the patch has nothing to do with the expansion, meaning that it's nothing but a patch.

Meaning that it's nothing but lazy coding for it to take up that much space, because there is no reason why it should be so large.
    Do you just like to bitch and moan? Did you check ALL the updates? No? Course you haven't. Your lucky its only a 1.5G. This was a huge update with a lot of very noticeable changes. Have a look around your player stats options. Additions there. Ingame, a lot of noticeable changes. So quit your moaning.

And as already stated above, the traffic of people downloading from the PS store and ingame patch is what caused your slow download. Good thing about this is no-one is favoured. Well not for you. I was lucky to download fair quick. Even then it took about 50 minutes all in.

Oh and a little bit about coding. How do you know how the coding works? Have you any idea how much coding goes into a game like BF3? I won't pretend I understand it myself, but i atleast know how much work goes into it. I had a few friends from school who made a little RPG game of they're own. Had a look at the coding. Let's just say, you wouldn't think there was so much in it if you had a look at the game.

Edit - Sorry killermachine, looks like you touched on basically what I said. Should have read the last few posts.

About there being glitches. There are also trophy glitches in the new DLC. I got the trophy for shooting down the Gunship, the trophy popped but it won't synch. It's in my trophy list for BF3 but won't add to my trophies. Silver trophy too. A little annoying. My first game and the first thing I shoot down is the Gunship.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

poop ? san
    Que ?

R.I.P Ellie

Took me 30-40 minutes for each. And 5 minute install for each.
    I remember reading DICE saying that they don't know why you cant get the DLC in-game and they're looking into it. And they say to get it from the PSN store instead.

Revelations 19:16

I dont remember a single time this game had an update or DLC pack smaller than 1GB. I downloaded that patch around 8am and smoked it. Just about 10 minutes to DL and then install took around 5. My old Fat 60GB model would have installed it faster than my Slim.
    "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."