DICE doesn't want to be a 'Battlefield factory'

This is a discussion on DICE doesn't want to be a 'Battlefield factory' within the Battlefield 3 forum, part of the B; DICE's Stockholm studio has 300 people and no, not all of them are working on Battlefield content, EA Games Vice ...

Prayer Warrior

DICE doesn't want to be a 'Battlefield factory'

DICE's Stockholm studio has 300 people and no, not all of them are working on Battlefield content, EA Games Vice President Patrick Soderlund tells OXM. DICE launched Mirror's Edge in 2008, but since then it's been all Battlefield, all the time, with Battlefield 4 scheduled for beta next fall.

Asked whether taking a risk on a Mirror's Edge-type game is worth it when Battlefield is so lucrative, Soderlund responds, "Well it depends, right? Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. It's also important for us the DICE guys are roughly 300 people in the Stockholm studio; not all of them are working on Battlefield things, and that's intentional, because we don't want to become a Battlefield factory."

One way to circumvent the transition to "Battlefield factory" is to develop a sequel to Mirror's Edge which is exactly what former Battlefield executive producer Ben Cousins says DICE is doing. "It is general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at DICE," he tweets.
    EA: DICE doesn't want to be a 'Battlefield factory' | Joystiq

if i had to choose overall i would say i'm a battlefield guy rather than CoD even though i would give the best overall game to CoD's newest baby Black Ops 2. it's refreshing to know that DICE doesn't want to milk the series to death like CoD has done. even better in this statement is that mirror's edge 2 has been confirmed to be in production. that has me most excited and on edge (see what i did there lol) for it to come out. what are your thoughts about both DICE being a battlefield factory and mirror's edge 2?

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

The Bushiest Pig

EA has stated that MoH and BF will rotate annually, so it looks like they'll be a BF factory for the near future.

Who knows, maybe IW and Treyarch want to make new games as well, although when that whole thing at IW went down, apparently they wanted to make a different, new game before MW3.
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    EA has stated that MoH and BF will rotate annually, so it looks like they'll be a BF factory for the near future.

Who knows, maybe IW and Treyarch want to make new games as well, although when that whole thing at IW went down, apparently they wanted to make a different, new game before MW3.
    the crazy thing is that i would actually like to see a different IP come out of IW. i still think they are a good company and are capable of putting out pure gold. but they've got the Cod bug and that seems to be all that's on the mind. only time will tell i guess.

Lvl 9 - Gold

They shouldnt of sold themselves to EA in the first place then lol.

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    They shouldnt of sold themselves to EA in the first place then lol.
    indeed that is a very well played point. EA doesn't have the best track record.

Platinum Dohvakiin

I just find it funny that DICE is saying that they don't want to be a Battlefield Factory. I mean out side of Mirror's Edge and now Mirror's Edge 2 that's all DICE has ever made anyway. DICE you already are a Battlefield Factory. I loved Mirror's Edge and really looking forward to Mirror's Edge 2, but you are what you are. DICE is Battlefield always has been, even if they don't want to be labeled as such.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

Aes Dana

Mirror's Edge 2

Mirror's Edge is epic!!

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    I just find it funny that DICE is saying that they don't want to be a Battlefield Factory. I mean out side of Mirror's Edge and now Mirror's Edge 2 that's all DICE has ever made anyway. DICE you already are a Battlefield Factory. I loved Mirror's Edge and really looking forward to Mirror's Edge 2, but you are what you are. DICE is Battlefield always has been, even if they don't want to be labeled as such.
    well said
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Mirror's Edge 2

Mirror's Edge is epic!!
    mirror's edge was in my opinion one of the greatest of all times. i can NOT wait for part 2. day one midnight release buy for me for sure

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    indeed that is a very well played point. EA doesn't have the best track record.
    At least there is always that free version of BF:1942 that came out recently

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    At least there is always that free version of BF:1942 that came out recently
    free is always good. it really is a decent game and the fact it's free makes it all the more better

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Make something brand new then Dice! You can't fix the important part of Medal Of Honor because you don't understand singleplayer games. Your Multiplayer nous is awesome though, utilize that in any new project.

I was not a fan of Mirrors Edge. It's nowhere near as good as people seem to remember it, it wouldn't even rank in the top 100 games of this generation for me ( without counting PSN titles ). Some good ideas in it but flawed would be a kind word to use in the description of the game itself.
    You can tell me i just didn't get it, i missed the point or i'm not used to playing challenging games all you want, it sucks greasy pole in my opinion and i felt cheated of my cash buying it at 25. I'd feel cheated at 5.
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Make something brand new then Dice! You can't fix the important part of Medal Of Honor because you don't understand singleplayer games. Your Multiplayer nous is awesome though, utilize that in any new project.

I was not a fan of Mirrors Edge. It's nowhere near as good as people seem to remember it, it wouldn't even rank in the top 100 games of this generation for me ( without counting PSN titles ). Some good ideas in it but flawed would be a kind word to use in the description of the game itself.
    You can tell me i just didn't get it, i missed the point or i'm not used to playing challenging games all you want, it sucks greasy pole in my opinion and i felt cheated of my cash buying it at 25. I'd feel cheated at 5.
    i'm not here to judge you and your opinions. i get it. not everyone will like the same games. i feel mirrors edge was a hate it or love it kind of game. no middle ground. i loved it.....you hated it. it's all good. i don't judge on what you like or don't like. i'm not a troll. lol thanks for posting.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    EA Digital Illusions CE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My intro to DICE was Pinball Dreams on the Amiga. One of their most memorable games was Rallisport Challenge on the PC. Aside from the excellent driving model (I still play it from time to time), I remember it because it was the first racing game with 3D polygon-based trees. Prior to that they were all ugly, flat sprites.

BF1942 came out the same year (with the same trees...) and it's been Battlefield after Battlefield ever since.

I dug Mirror's Edge myself. It was oozing with style, but a bit lacking in the gameplay department (maybe because some of the combinations were rock hard). I've got a hankering to finish the campaign now and can't wait for the sequel.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Angel of Death

Just gimme Mirror's Edge 2. :3

Lvl 9 - Gold

free is always good. it really is a decent game and the fact it's free makes it all the more better
    Yep, they made it free for its 10th anniversary, I still have my copy sitting in my room from 2003 or something when I got it.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

i'm not here to judge you and your opinions. i get it. not everyone will like the same games. i feel mirrors edge was a hate it or love it kind of game. no middle ground. i loved it.....you hated it. it's all good. i don't judge on what you like or don't like. i'm not a troll. lol thanks for posting.

I suppose i could bite at that ' i'm not going to judge you by judging your judging of me ' bollocks but instead i'll move along and mention that with those good ideas in place, i can see why people like it and i still believe that a sequel would improve on the first by miles. I just failed to see what all the fuss was about.
    I felt the same with Uncharted and Assassins Creed, both games, like Mirrors Edge, have good ideas but the game isn't matching the creativity or concept. Sequels help in this respect, sometimes, you can't get it right the first time.

Hey, if i can put up with people saying GTA IV was shite then i'm sure you can not judge my disdain towards Mirrors Edge, or Fallout 3, because i really hate that game too.
    I'm totally judging you by the way so i best go find a bridge to smoulder under.
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

Lvl 3 - Bronze

MoH WF wasnt already out and we all knew that BF4 is on the way........................so EA/Dice is the same thing regarding the same franchise as Activision. the only exception is Activision is CoD splited into Modern Warfare series and Black Ops meanwhile EA makes MoH (wich isn't MoH anymore R.I.P is just a BF Filler) and BF series...... actually BF is yearly, taking into account the game was out last year but we keep having expansions all the year around..... xD so both Publishers are milking their franchises but each disguises it on a different manner......