Few thoughts from a MW fanboy..

This is a discussion on Few thoughts from a MW fanboy.. within the Battlefield 3 forum, part of the B; Bet yer expecting a flame fest eh? Wrong! I'm not gonna list all the things I like about this game.. ...

PRO Member

Few thoughts from a MW fanboy..

Bet yer expecting a flame fest eh? Wrong!

I'm not gonna list all the things I like about this game.. partly 'cos if you like it then you'll already know.. and if your a hater then I don't have the time or the inclination to change your mind! Things I don't like are listed below.. not because I want to vent - more that I'm hoping in some cases that it's user error and I can be put straight!

1) Main dislike is that having joined a server the only opt out appears to be to log off or wait idle until booted.

2) Did like the fact that there was quite spread of game types on MW - glad there isn't as many.. but does appear to be only two - one of which is basically capture the flag.. the other seemed to be a team death match type affair.. whilst I've enjoyed it I'm just thinking if I'll get bored without more options at a later date..

3) Speaking of which.. there isn't a clear selection process for choosing a game type - I did work out that if you opt to select a server you get more choice but it seems to be (not unreasonably) based on signal strength not game type (and wasn't sure what the two different game types where..

4) Whilst I'm finding the lack of killstreaks rather pleasant (less stress!) and equally finding the equipment/add on's really cool not so sure about the process of setting up your 4 different solider types.. guess that ain't gonna change and it'll probably grow on me..

Like I said - overall loving this game.. and would love to know if there are just ingame 'features' or if I missing a trick or two.. biggest compliment I can pay this game so far is that I'll not be buying MW3 for quite a while!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I do think that conquest is a little more like domination then capture the flag but its not like that matters.

Death is Awaiting....

There are actually 5 game types (Conquest, Rush, TDM, Squad Rush & Squad TDM) and all the customizing i love. I'm enjoying it more then previous titles. The only thing i don't like is the helicopter controls.. i absolutely hate how i barely tap the left analog and go flying into the ground
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeApOnS- View Post
    There are actually 5 game types (Conquest, Rush, TDM, Squad Rush & Squad TDM) and all the customizing i love. I'm enjoying it more then previous titles. The only thing i don't like is the helicopter controls.. i absolutely hate how i barely tap the left analog and go flying into the ground
    Heh.. I noted that shortly after posting! Don't get me wrong - I think the game types are fantastic.. I suppose I just grew to somewhat love both HQ and Hardcore TD - and I suppose the different choices.. that said I think the choices on B3 so far are better.. even if less.

The One and Only

At least a CoD fanboy like you isn't like alot of the irrational ones

I was thinking about getting this game for a while, but I only changed my mind when I decided that there's other games I'd rather get, and I don't get alot of money at all lol. And no, I will not get MW3 either

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

PRO Member

Know how yer feel! I probably could get Batman, Skyrim, UC3, Assassin Creed 3 & MW3.. all of which I'll want at somepoint.. somewhat irrationally (and by somewhat I mean totally!) I kinda feel like I'm going to miss out by not buying them AS SOON AS THEY COME OUT!! Damm advertising.. on the plus side by accepting that I'm probably going to become a total B3 whore and play it non-stop for at least 3 months I'll save myself a good 100 quid by getting all the above 1/2 price 2nd hand in 4 months time!

Have to say.. I expect MW3 will be good.. but sadly I guess it does attract it's fair share of idiots.. it's been pretty cool playing B3 and not getting frustrated to the point of rage which could happen a fair amount of time on MW.. which was mainly due to type of people who play it! If I can manage to play this without swearing every 5 minutes then my g/friend will be very happy! :-)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Holymonkey View Post

1) Main dislike is that having joined a server the only opt out appears to be to log off or wait idle until booted.

2) Did like the fact that there was quite spread of game types on MW - glad there isn't as many.. but does appear to be only two - one of which is basically capture the flag.. the other seemed to be a team death match type affair.. whilst I've enjoyed it I'm just thinking if I'll get bored without more options at a later date..

3) Speaking of which.. there isn't a clear selection process for choosing a game type - I did work out that if you opt to select a server you get more choice but it seems to be (not unreasonably) based on signal strength not game type (and wasn't sure what the two different game types where..

4) Whilst I'm finding the lack of killstreaks rather pleasant (less stress!) and equally finding the equipment/add on's really cool not so sure about the process of setting up your 4 different solider types.. guess that ain't gonna change and it'll probably grow on me..
    1- Just press start and quit the game, it'll take you to the menu.
    2-In the server browser, press R3 and filter for game types. The type is listed to the right (CQ, Rush, etc).
    3-See #2.
    4-I enjoy the way it's set up. You would rather have one soldier that can use any type of equipment?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by leftoutseany View Post
    1- Just press start and quit the game, it'll take you to the menu.
    2-In the server browser, press R3 and filter for game types. The type is listed to the right (CQ, Rush, etc).
    3-See #2.
    4-I enjoy the way it's set up. You would rather have one soldier that can use any type of equipment?
    Hmmm I'll have to retry pressing start.. it didn't seem to do anything last time.. maybe wasn't pressing it hard enough or for long enough!

I'm already starting to much prefer the 4 'types' opposed to one soldier mode of MW - it's more the style of selecting equipment etc which I'm not so keen on... which is picky.. and a very minor issue! On the plus side I'm not finding much else, if anything to complain about which must mean it's a good game! :-)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hmmm I'll have to retry pressing start.. it didn't seem to do anything last time.. maybe wasn't pressing it hard enough or for long enough!

I'm already starting to much prefer the 4 'types' opposed to one soldier mode of MW - it's more the style of selecting equipment etc which I'm not so keen on... which is picky.. and a very minor issue! On the plus side I'm not finding much else, if anything to complain about which must mean it's a good game! :-)
    From what I remember (as I just got done playing an hour or so ago), you can only quit a match while in a match. Sucks, I know. I hope DICE will change that.

I never, ever, got the fascination with CoD. My first game (between the two) was Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on the PS2. Played it online constantly. Once BFBC1 came out, I promised never to touch a CoD title, mainly because I felt CoD isn't "realistic." House sized maps with people running around with overpowered dual pistols and shotguns equipped with random bullshit "perks" that make the game completely one sided, one way or another. Yeah, no thank you.

Actually destroying the environment with explosions/gunfire instead of just "shooting through a wall" just stuck with me. Did I mention vehicles yet? Well, there are vehicles afterall. Who doesn't want to drive a tank?

======================

My Guides
    --------------
    Jurassic Park: The Game
    Episode One -- Episode Two -- Episode Three -- Episode Four

Microbot

======================

PSN ID: Horror_Movie

======================

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I promised never to touch a CoD title, mainly because I felt CoD isn't "realistic." House sized maps with people running around with overpowered dual pistols and shotguns equipped with random bullshit "perks" that make the game completely one sided, one way or another. Yeah, no thank you.
    Yeah... okay... so the guys running around dual wielding ranger shotguns did look a tad stupid.. and some of the perks bordered on dumb.. mind you I liked the maps.. I think it made a massive difference to what type of game you played.. HQ kinda forced people to specific locations whilst leaving scope* for snipers to make a difference.. the biggest difference beyond all of that has so been that in 6/7 hours of online gameplay only one person has made me think they might be cheating! (I'm sure they weren't)

Still not convinced by the vehicles.. although I like destroying tanks with mines. That gives me lots of pleasure!

* not an intended pun.. if it was I'd be getting my coat already!

Administrator

From what I remember (as I just got done playing an hour or so ago), you can only quit a match while in a match. Sucks, I know. I hope DICE will change that.
    DICE will likely not fix this, it has been that way since Bad Company 1. Sucks, but waiting 30 seconds for map change isn't too bad.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Breakpoint View Post
    DICE will likely not fix this, it has been that way since Bad Company 1. Sucks, but waiting 30 seconds for map change isn't too bad.
    Haven't noticed that, considering it's been probably 2 years since I last played BC1 and I don't think the wait time was as long. No awards screen that gave you piece by piece (disregarding skipping). I don't think BC1 had a wait time when the match started either?

I also think its 45 seconds, lol.

======================

My Guides
    --------------

Microbot

======================

======================

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yeah... okay... so the guys running around dual wielding ranger shotguns did look a tad stupid.. the biggest difference beyond all of that has so been that in 6/7 hours of online gameplay only one person has made me think they might be cheating! (I'm sure they weren't)
    Dual wielding shotguns? Oh, my. It's more worse that I thought, lol. How lame

Wasn't it confirmed (somewhere?) that the console versions were hacked?

======================

My Guides
    --------------

Microbot

======================

======================

PRO Member

Dual wielding shotguns? Oh, my. It's more worse that I thought, lol. How lame

Wasn't it confirmed (somewhere?) that the console versions were hacked?
    Sad to say but yep - very hacked! The leaderboards where much perma hacked, the game itself got hacked so that players could set there own parameters in game and put on god mode. Worst of it was that both Sony and IW denied it for about a month before spending a further 3 months blaming each other... the best was when Sony got hacked and all the private info nicked.. IW jumped straight in and blamed that for the last 3/4 months of MW2 being hacked!

Quote Originally Posted by Breakpoint View Post
    Can't say I mind the cooldown between matches.... just the fact you can't leave during the cooldown which logically seems like the best time to vacate the game!

PRO Member

I have found one major gripe which is that there doesn't appear to be any re-balancing of teams - pretty much appears to be once a teams put together then it stays that way... that's fine if the teams are nicely balanced.. but if like the couple of games I just played are anything to go by then if one team is clearly better (to the point where my team where just pinned into our Deployment area) then that frankly sucks big time. I can't see that there can be any fun to be had whatsoever from that kind of imbalance.

To those that make the point that you can just leave the game.. think on that one a little.. it leaves you no choice but to trawl through games until you find either a balanced team or a one sided team game in your favour.. which means you'll get lots of people jumping matches until they find just that.. very boring!

Having just completed two games like that in a row I can safely say that whilst overall it's far better than MW it has the potential to be every bit as stupid. Failing to rebalance the teams when it's that imbalanced IMO is a f**king disgrace as far as the game designers go. Maybe it's 'cos there all former MW designers!

Administrator

I have found one major gripe which is that there doesn't appear to be any re-balancing of teams - pretty much appears to be once a teams put together then it stays that way... that's fine if the teams are nicely balanced.. but if like the couple of games I just played are anything to go by then if one team is clearly better (to the point where my team where just pinned into our Deployment area) then that frankly sucks big time. I can't see that there can be any fun to be had whatsoever from that kind of imbalance.

To those that make the point that you can just leave the game.. think on that one a little.. it leaves you no choice but to trawl through games until you find either a balanced team or a one sided team game in your favour.. which means you'll get lots of people jumping matches until they find just that.. very boring!

Having just completed two games like that in a row I can safely say that whilst overall it's far better than MW it has the potential to be every bit as stupid. Failing to rebalance the teams when it's that imbalanced IMO is a f**king disgrace as far as the game designers go. Maybe it's 'cos there all former MW designers!
    Using server settings, you can easily join a server that is balanced. Just set the requirement for players to >20.

And from my experience, servers get balanced after match end usually, only time I don't see this happening is in the wee hours of the AM.
    I had a threesome last night, there were a couple of no shows but I still had a good time!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
    Using server settings, you can easily join a server that is balanced.

And from my experience, servers get balanced after match end usually, only time I don't see this happening is in the wee hours of the AM.
    I'll have a play with the server settings.. I'm was basing the view that there isn't any rebalancing on the fact that the team members don't appear to change from one game to the next - it seems to remain pretty much the same players (bar a few leaving and a few joining) all the way through. I've played at least 3 times where I've stayed on the same server with the same players over the course of 5/6 + games and been placed with the same team mates each time.

I've had a look and can't see what server settings I can change to ensure a balanced server! Any hints would be welcome... :-)

Also just made a point of tracking the players on the last 4 matches... all the same - no changes whatsoever and we were being owned. That frankly kinda sucks and I don't see them do anything to change that.. oh well.
    Last edited by Holymonkey; 11-09-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Administrator

No, I was talking about the server filter of >20 when looking to join a match.

As for server balancing after match end, usually the match fills up again pretty well after the match ends. But like I said in the wee morning hours, I don't see this happening as much. But in the afternoon, I see people dropping and getting replaced all the time.
    I had a threesome last night, there were a couple of no shows but I still had a good time!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yeah tonight we had like one round where an opposing team was powerful and dominated everyone, the next it had completely changed so rarely does it stay unbalance for truly long except in the early morning hours. Tonight I was on a dominating team for squad deathmatch and we dominated for like merely three rounds before the team fell apart and we ended up in different squads or gone from the game.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Even back in Battlefield 1942 on PC, balance could be an issue but you know what? You learn from it and nothing is sweeter than outsmarting a bigger more expierienced squad and taking the win.

A headset was a must before, not so many care for it from what i've seen so far( at least not for the right reasons ), if you can give team members a heads up on something useful it can shift any match in your teams favour.

For all the online games i've played very few top the organic moments in a Battlefield game. Riding a quad bike with a team mate suicidally off a roof and into the enemy camp then blowing the hell out of everything is still on of my favourite moments from Bad Company 2.