Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Damn Helicopter Controls!

This is a discussion on Damn Helicopter Controls! within the Battlefield 3 forum, part of the B; Is anyone else having a problem with flying the stupid choppers? There's a co-op mission that requires you to fly ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Damn Helicopter Controls!

Is anyone else having a problem with flying the stupid choppers? There's a co-op mission that requires you to fly one and I crash as soon as I take off. Really don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Any tips?

Currently Playing

Dead Nation | Killzone: Shadow Fall | Sly Cooper: Thief in Time | Strider | The Last of Us Remastered

PS3 & PS4 Trophy Guides and Walkthroughs
    WildeThang YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/wildethanggaming

Lvl 5 - Silver

The controls are extremely sensitive, just make tiny adjustments..

Lvl 1 - Bronze

left stick is for turning and the right stick is for banking, so don't try to use only the right stick for turning!

Lvl 8 - Gold

inverting the controls helped me alot.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I just inverted the controls right off the bat, and you will need to use both sticks when turning to stay level. Just keep practising mate. It would be useful if there was a private match you could use to practise flying.

However if its really annoying you, see if you can find someone who is a good pilot that will do the flying and you take the gunner seat.

PRO Member

Another thing to do is click the right srick to put you in third person view...that way you can see exactly the direction your chopper is going...that helped me a lot

Lvl 6 - Silver

Nope, not really that hard, just takes a while to get used to. Like others said, left analog stick is for turning, right analog stick is for banking. Practice it and test some maneuvers out to get the feel and the hang of it.

I think my experience flying helis in Bad Company 2 helps somewhat, but I have yet to try circle strafing in this game, not sure if its possible though xD. Personally, I prefer the controls the way they are, not inverted, feels more realistic as if you were actually flying the heli yourself.
    MyAnimeList: Killermachine252 | Sword Art Online <3
    Expand Platcard to see my entire Sword Art Online signature below it

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by S810666 View Post
    The controls are extremely sensitive, just make tiny adjustments..
    I'd second this one! I'm still struggling to fly either the heli or jet... but being very gentle with the controls is changing my deaths from crashes to being blown up by enemy fire! At least it's progression... :-D

Lvl 8 - Gold

Try using the left analog stick first. Move around with it until you get comfortable with controls. You have to be gentle with the right analog stick because it can spin you out of control.

I rarely flew a chopper in BFBC2. I wasn't very good at it. I could do some basic flying, enough to get an enemies' chopper to our base, if I was in a position to take it. But that was it.

Fastforward to BF3 and the co-op mission where you're in a chopper. I joined the game hoping to be the gunner so that I can at least beat the mission. Every time I joined I was either the pilot or a gunner with a pilot that's worse at flying than me. So I had no choice but to learn to fly. 5 tries later I got decent at flying and managed to beat the mission. Now I like flying shoppers in BF3.
    The other day I shot down 3 enemy helicopters in a few minutes, with the little bird.

Lvl 4 - Silver

From a place called south east london - I heard your mum's got bunions... fam what!?

lol Its easy. On my first ever try a jet flew into me. Second try I flew but wasn't in complete control of the steering, Third time I managed to control it and fly circles while keeping the nose of the chopper aimed at the enemy spawn. Then got shot down after 3 kills : (

My tip would be
    Don't use inverted. Why would forwards up make the heli aim up, leaning forwards should make the heli aim down.
    As you take off, only hold R2. Then tilt the right stick forwards (slightly) and the same with the left.
    As you approach the circling point, don't aim head on, try to line up sideways, then use the left stick to have the heli aiming in towards your target area. Use the left stick to move left, but always use the right to keep the heli level and aimed at the target area.

Unfortunately I can't aim with jets, can fly them, but can't seem to get into good positions to kill ground targets.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManicRipper2?feature=mhee

LOTR: Conquest/COD: [email protected]/Mirror's Edge/Transformers: ROTF/Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/MW2/God of War III/LittleBigPlanet/Bad Company 2/COD Classic/InFamous/Uncharted 2: Among Thieves/Trine/Burnout Paradise/inFAMOUS 2/COD: Black Ops/Assassin's Creed II/Anarchy: Rush Hour/MW3/Battlefield 3/Prototype 2/Far Cry 3/Sleeping Dogs/NFS:Most Wanted/FIFA13

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I don't have much problem to control the helicopters, just fly around in them and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Lvl 6 - Silver

bottom line of all the above posts is practice! lol, coming from bfbc2, i felt the controls were crazy different ,and i was crashing into everything lol. after a while u get used to it, just make sure u actually get an opportunity to fly around and get comfortable. im quite the capable pilot now lol, im sure u'll get the hang of it in due time. for the coop however, i recommend ur gunner friend doing a lot of the work, just seems to work better imo, though a few bomb runs never hurt

Huge Gaming Backlog

I'm just starting to get the hang of it. When I first started my team mates would of hated me. I'd crash a fully loaded chopper every time. It is hilarious though, running around the battlefield and seeing choppers and planes just dropping out of the sky.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I had trouble at the start too i was all over the place but i kept trying now id say im pretty good at flying them now (not an expert), just keep practicing

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...
    Helis are too easy...
    Maybe because I used to hover above flags to capture them in BF2...
    Jets are tougher...
    Well i think i needs to practice, practice, practice, practice....

PRO Member

I had trouble at first, but now the only reason I die in a heli is when I get shot or shot down. It just takes getting used to until you start to get a lot better

Sig Made by Ramon/ Avy made by Alison

Lvl 9 - Gold

Don't roll to the left and right with the right analog stick it just tips you over i only ever use that in the same direction im turning with The left to move away from something quickly. and you have to be ready to use the right stick to roll back the opposite direction so you don't just flip it over.

I was doing that Co-op mission with a friend fire from the sky to get the rest of my coop weapons for the platinum, and he didn't want to fly it but he got put in the pilot seat on one and me just telling him not to mess to much with the right sticks left/right movement we managed to almost completed the mission entirely, before that he crashed immediately if it gave him pilot spot and would just wait till i got it again so we could repeat it.

But yeah after you get used to it they're fairly easy to fly they usually get more points than Jets because you can use anti air and ground missiles at once and also have flares.

A plat a month!

It certainly takes some getting use to. The part that bothers me most is having to keep on holding R2 for engine throttle. I don't keep it depressed all the time, rather I will hold it down for small chunks of time.

I've gotten use to the turning/moving aspect. I use the left stick for 95% of the turning, using the right stick to even out after i turn.

Lvl 6 - Silver

The jets are still giving me trouble more than anything. I can fly Attack Helicopters and rake in kills including the "kamikaze noobs" with no problem but I can't get kills with the jet...

Lvl 4 - Silver

i can help you anytime you want,im bad ass whit the heli

Awesome Sig Made By BLADIAAAAAAA!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast