Mk11 mod 0... Wtf?

This is a discussion on Mk11 mod 0... Wtf? within the Battlefield 3 forum, part of the B; Is this is very underpowered sniper rifle or is aiming directly on your target at range not the correct way ...

PRO Member

Mk11 mod 0... Wtf?

Is this is very underpowered sniper rifle or is aiming directly on your target at range not the correct way to hit the target? I ask because I seem to fail to kill with this rifle over and over again. I pretty sure the people I'm hitting aren't cheating.. so I'm guessing that's either a shit rifle (which as I appear to sometimes be hitting people 3/4 times with them dying would seem a good guess) or aiming right at them isn't in fact the right way to hit the target.. any suggestions?

(Oh.. and the number of times I getting sniped it seems to mainly be people using SV98's or a few using SKS's.. these seem to work quite well at killing me)

Lvl 8 - Gold

Are you new at Battlefield? Have you ever heard of bullet drop?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Are you new at Battlefield? Have you ever heard of bullet drop?
    Yes - New to Battlefield - Yes - have heard of bullet drop.. wasn't sure if it applied or not - I did try aiming high.. by that didn't see to work.. I guess I'll keep trying! It also has to be noted that I know I've hit on occasion (your sight blinks) and still haven't made kills.. however if bullet drop is a feature that may well explain it.. thanks for the heads up.. I'll keep plugging away!

PRO Member

Also should be noted.. that on a real sniper rifle bullet drop, windage and elevation etc will all be calculated and the scope set so that it's centered on the target (with the adjustments) so in fact with modern sniper rifles you'd either expect to have the game mechanics to allow you to change those settings (way to realistic) or have them in effect pre set for each shot..

Lvl 6 - Silver

Aim only a little above the target if there far away like a head above the MK11 Mod 0 is a good rifle, especially with a bipod

Lvl 8 - Gold

Yea, don't aim too high. If your target is too far away, try getting a little closer since some of the scopes you start with aren't that great and the maps are enormous. You can always spot your target (pressing when you see an enemy) if it helps. A spotted target gets an orange icon above their heads... try aiming for the icon?

PRO Member

Cheers for the advice guys! As with most things in life.. yer blame the tools.. the game.. everything except yerself.. and then after playing a bit more you suddenly find that it was YOU that was a bit shit all along and in fact a bit of practice suddenly makes you lethal! (found that aiming generally just above the head is a kill a far amount the time.. if not a 2nd shot normally does it..)

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Holymonkey View Post
    Also should be noted.. that on a real sniper rifle bullet drop, windage and elevation etc will all be calculated and the scope set so that it's centered on the target (with the adjustments) so in fact with modern sniper rifles you'd either expect to have the game mechanics to allow you to change those settings (way to realistic) or have them in effect pre set for each shot..
    ummm wrong those little dots on the scope are called mil-dots which are units of measurement. 99% of the time shots are lined up using them due to lack of time to set proper adjustments. Also say for instance you a shooting a target at 928 yards you can't set you elevation for exactly for 928 yards 900 yards no problem but that last 28 yards well thats where those mildots come back into play. See you learn something everyday

Lvl 9 - Gold

Bullet drop makes no sodding difference, it took me 4 rounds pumped into a guy's neck to drop him, could never be bothered to use it again after that. Shame I had to.

Lvl 9 - Gold

The semi auto snipers are alot weaker in chest shots than the SV98 and M40 and all that its easier with the semi autos to just fire a few quick shots into the enemy although they can also get a one shot head shot which is what most people with the bolt actions will be going for anyway.
    But just try aim above them slightly and get upper chest/single head shots with the mk11 and the SVD the Acog and 3.4x sights also work very well on the semi auto snipers.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I also was wondering why i barely got kills with it.