Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EA is being taken to court!

This is a discussion on EA is being taken to court! within the Battlefield 3 forum, part of the B; WOO EA Being Taken to Court Over Broken Battlefield Promise At the heart of the case is not the fact ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

EA is being taken to court!

WOO

EA Being Taken to Court Over Broken Battlefield Promise
    At the heart of the case is not the fact EA reneged on its offer, but that it was announced so late (after people had already picked up the copy) and announced so poorly (it was only announced via Twitter, meaning many customers never saw the explanation). It also calls EA out on its shoddy "make up" deal, pointing out that offer had been made, and as such had nothing to do with compensation for the loss of Battlefield 1943.
    I wasn't particularly bothered with the Battlefield 1943 offer, but what they did is inexcusable, it's more so a matter of principle then it is the whole getting free shit. I mean I already have Battlefield 1943.

But if they're going to be dicks and promise free shit one day then take it away the next without such a word, then they deserve to be punished for it.

Just wished they did the same for Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and for all the bullshit Codemasters have pulled. Thank fuck they've downsized and killed off the Operation Flashpoint franchise, they'd damn near ruined it anyway.

Vive La Révelation!

In my opinion they deserve it. If a game publisher or developer promises something, they should stick to it. Even if they lose money. They made the promise. Maybe they should think before they promise.
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Meh they won't win against EA and btw Operation Flashpoint died when they fired BIS but hey we got ARMA outta it so it all works

Vive La Révelation!

Quote Originally Posted by terror View Post
    Meh they won't win against EA and btw Operation Flashpoint died when they fired BIS but hey we got ARMA outta it so it all works
    Your right they probably won't win, but I still think they deserve a slap on the wrist.
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Lvl 8 - Gold

It was already in the Ultimate Edition of Bad Company 2!! I personally don't like BF 1943... you guys aren't missing out on much.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by terror View Post
    Actually it's more likely EA will just settle out of court.

And yeah true that. I really don't know why I brought the later Operation Flashpoint games, but I'm a sucker for needing to try something to form an opinion I guess.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    It was already in the Ultimate Edition of Bad Company 2!! I personally don't like BF 1943... you guys aren't missing out on much.
    I dont think its about missing something, its about a promisse they broke without a reasonable explanation

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by wcamicase View Post
    I dont think its about missing something, its about a promisse they broke without a reasonable explanation
    Yes but the court system is about making you whole not better than you were before you started. So unless I am missing something but all you should be able to sue EA for is a copy of 1943. I mean you weren't promised anything beyond that so why should you get anything beyond that. I guess if you want in for pain and suffering (and if anyone claimed that I will be standing by laughing) EA could throw in another free game but this is not something to sue over.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

The Bushiest Pig

I mean we were promised BF 1943 on disc, then they compensate us by saying we'd get DLC early, which Sony already has a deal with EA for. It's like we got slapped in the face. I like 1943, but I deactivated the account of my friend I got it off of so it's locked

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Yes but the court system is about making you whole not better than you were before you started. So unless I am missing something but all you should be able to sue EA for is a copy of 1943. I mean you weren't promised anything beyond that so why should you get anything beyond that. I guess if you want in for pain and suffering (and if anyone claimed that I will be standing by laughing) EA could throw in another free game but this is not something to sue over.

we live in a society where if i poke you too hard you will try and sue me lol

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 8 - Gold

Come again?

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Come again?
    I'll try to explain it like this.

I promise you a dollar and only end up giving you 75 cents. Now you are upset so you come and ask me for the 25 cents I owe you. I tell you I don't have the 25 cents so you turn around and sue me for $10, 000.

Does that make sense now.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Even though they did promise the game and turned around and took it out. That's really nothing you can be sued for unless it's advertised on the game's case and it's not there... Since when can you be sued for promising something and taking it back?

Buy my book, Alteration

They deserve it for that. They can't just assume everyone will find out via Twitter.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Even though they did promise the game and turned around and took it out. That's really nothing you can be sued for unless it's advertised on the game's case and it's not there... Since when can you be sued for promising something and taking it back?
    Thats it, i mean how many blokes out there would be in trouble if they have to actaully follow through things they promise

Closing this account

its just a game. if that is the case, let me sue them for me not playing this type of game because i hate being shot at....smh

The One and Only

Looks like EA is in a bit of trouble here

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'll try to explain it like this.

I promise you a dollar and only end up giving you 75 cents. Now you are upset so you come and ask me for the 25 cents I owe you. I tell you I don't have the 25 cents so you turn around and sue me for $10, 000.

Does that make sense now.
    That's a bit of a crap analogy though. It wasn't a case of EA not being able to afford it, they just went back on their promise...

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    It doesn't have to be announced on the games case though, it was announced at E3. And you should try reading the article, I mean I even quoted the important paragraph...

They announced that 1943 would be coming on PS3 versions of 3 and then gave a bullshit statement AFTER the release of 3 that 1943 wasn't in fact coming with 3, and then lied saying it was because of the week in advance DLC...

Lvl 9 - Gold

It doesn't have to be announced on the games case though, it was announced at E3. And you should try reading the article, I mean I even quoted the important paragraph...

They announced that 1943 would be coming on PS3 versions of 3 and then gave a bullshit statement AFTER the release of 3 that 1943 wasn't in fact coming with 3, and then lied saying it was because of the week in advance DLC...
    I'm not going to lie, I didn't read the article posted, but I've been following this story for quite some time. I know it was announced at E3 but like I said, they can promise stuff but unless it was physically on the case, that would be the purchasers fault for not paying attention. Trust me, I think what EA/Dice did was stupid for doing what they did and how they handled it. But the fact that people would sue for this? It goes back to what I said. Since when can we sue others for stuff that's been promised? It happens all the time, but were going to do it to EA to make an example out of them? That opens up a whole new door if the people suing win...

Resident PHD

That's a bit of a crap analogy though. It wasn't a case of EA not being able to afford it, they just went back on their promise...
    Ok fine but my analogy still stands. They went back on their promise, so all the public is owed is the promise. If they were being sued for 1943 then that would be fine but anything beyond that is ridiculous.

The most they could be sued for, I guess, is the price of the game if you could prove that you only preordered the game to get 1943.

The only way you could get more is if you could prove damages caused by 1943 not being included (pain and suffering, mental anguish etc.) and there is no way a court system is going to listen to that bullshit.

No the people suing are hoping that EA doesn't want bad PR and will settle out of court because if this thing ever made it into court it would be thrown out very quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast