Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

First Beyond Two Souls Review out, 68/100

This is a discussion on First Beyond Two Souls Review out, 68/100 within the Beyond: Two Souls forum, part of the B; We all gotta be crazy believe in what PS360 says anyways....

The only sane person here

We all gotta be crazy believe in what PS360 says anyways.

#hashtag

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Meanwhile on a real gaming site, BTS snags a 9 at Gamespot.

Sorry girls, I'll take Gamespot over some random minor Finnish gaming site any day of the week. Polygon, the only other site I respect gave it an 8, which I think is closer to the mark. IGN is a complete joke, I can't take any of their reviews seriously, so I'll ignore their 6.

The gameplay reflects the genre and does what it's supposed to do, which is to progress an interactive, multi-branching story without getting in the way. The fact that we can play the entire game via iOS controls should provide some insight into the developer's intentions.

Don't like it? Go back to CoD and let the grown-ups play their game.

Gamespot? Are you serious ant1?

Gamespot hasn't been good in years need I remind you of the infamous kane and lynch 2 review? and this is coming from someone that has browsed and still browses gamespot since Dial-up days.

The only reviewer there I still sorta trust there is Van0rd and sometimes I disagree on a lot of his points.

The only reason I still go there is because they don't have Greg Miller as an employee.

And yeah sure use CoD as an excuse to justify your point so mature oh wow.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramonalicious View Post
    Gamespot? Are you serious ant1?
    I've been using Gamespot for well over a decade too and can belt out the dial-up connection tone with the best of them. Despite the odd hiccup here and there, it remains the site I trust the most. The review scores on average tend to be harsher than other sites, which melds with my own opinions better than any other site.

For example, GTAV does not deserve a 10 from any review site (clunky driving / shooting controls for a game focused on driving / shooting ), yet Gamespot is panned by gamers as being too harsh for giving it a 9 when the game is far from perfect. Who's biased in this example, fanboys or reviewers?

IGN on the other hand can't review their way out of a wet paper bag. It's the site I go to when I don't want to trust Gamespot or Polygon or GiantBomb and prefer a completely biased and unrealistic review to justify the purchase of a shitty, shitty game. IGN is chewing gum for the brain, it's the elixir of the masses, the opinion of the lowest common denominator, the pop music of gaming review sites.

In the end, I don't implicitly trust any of them. It's up to me to be guided by the cherry-picked reviews that align best with my tastes in games, movies, music etc, and even then, I won't know if I like it or not until I try it myself.

And yeah sure use CoD as an excuse to justify your point so mature oh wow.
    If you want flashy gameplay with lots of explosions, corny dialogue and a hundred headshots a minute, CoD's the way to go. If you want an interactive narrative with controls to support the storytelling, you know exactly what you're getting in BTS.

My point is it's horses for courses - how else could a game like this be controlled other than dialogue trees and QTE's? Labelling the game as a "piece of shit" because it's exactly the type of game it sets out to be is the immature mindset of the typical 12 year old CoD'er with very narrow horizons and little to no understanding of what makes a game "good".

Lord of all Goat-Men

Much reviews. So shit.

Sorry girls, I'll take Gamespot over some random minor Finnish gaming site any day of the week. Polygon, the only other site I respect gave it an 8, which I think is closer to the mark. IGN is a complete joke, I can't take any of their reviews seriously, so I'll ignore their 6.
    Eurogamer, which is probably the best site in terms of review quality, gave Beyond a 6/10.

Gamespot, to me, are a joke now, and I only return to the site for their UK team's editorial stuff, like Random Encounter and The Point. And I'm totally sick of Kevin VanOrd narrating every single video review "on behalf" of the authors. But I digress...

All this crying over scores bugs me, as it does every reviewer of anything. Those people and outlets that gave bad scores, did anyone bother to read them and find out why they gave those scores?

Eurogamer's Oli Welsh cited under-written characters, predictable story arcs, and awkward controls.

IGN AU's Lucy O'Brien criticised B:TS for a lack of player agency, with too much control being taken away in service to Cage's vision; she disliked the lack of narrative focus; and she lamented the restrictions placed upon the character of Aiden.

Both had good things to say, mind though. They praised both Ellen Page for her performance, and the game for it's cinematic presentation and visual prowess.

The gameplay reflects the genre and does what it's supposed to do, which is to progress an interactive, multi-branching story without getting in the way. The fact that we can play the entire game via iOS controls should provide some insight into the developer's intentions.

Don't like it? Go back to CoD and let the grown-ups play their game.
    Agreed. B:TS is targeting a specific group of gamers, and represents an interesting experiment and attempted evolution of a medium that, this past decade especially, has become stagnant and stale. Say what you like about David Cage and his studio: they're doing something no other studio is doing and they're gaining recognition for it.

Forget I Was Ever Here

I just want to know what people actually playing this game think here without making a new thread instead of seeing people argue which sites are misleading or trusting

It is time for me to go underground

#hashtag

My point is it's horses for courses - how else could a game like this be controlled other than dialogue trees and QTE's?
    Hmm, Narrative and Story with actual gameplay to back it up? oh no we can't have that can't we?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Agreed. B:TS is targeting a specific group of gamers, and represents an interesting experiment and attempted evolution of a medium that, this past decade especially, has become stagnant and stale. Say what you like about David Cage and his studio: they're doing something no other studio is doing and they're gaining recognition for it.
    Thanks for reinforcing the point of my CoD statement. I clearly didn't elaborate it well enough.

There are gamers who are happy with grey and brown, generic shooter using a DualShock and steadfastly refuse to try anything out of the norm, and there are gamers that embrace change, experimentation and alternative control schemes because it's the next logical evolution in gaming. I'm very much in the latter, hence the Gamespot review aligns better with my worldview and I'm more likely to trust the higher end of the review spectrum than the lower.

Hmm, Narrative and Story with actual gameplay to back it up? oh no we can't have that can't we?
    A fine example of a different genre. The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain are the closest gameplay-wise to BTS and I labelled exactly the same criticism at them in that it's little more than an interactive movie. But here's the thing...it IS an interactive movie!

I found Metal Gear Solid 4's 30 mins of cutscene followed by 5 minutes of gameplay to be far more annoying and couldn't get more than a few hours into it because of my expectations that it was more game than story. I hated the game, but other people think it's the best game of this generation....go figure.

At least I know exactly what I'm in for with BTS and none of these reviews will prevent me from trying it for myself. Despite what any individual review or metascore will label it, I'm inclined to believe BTS will be a better game than the highly over-rated yet thoroughly entertaining The Walking Dead and all I want from playing games is to be entertained.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by MadMardigan_88 View Post
    So far I'm liking it. Screw the reviewer. Everyone has there own opinion.
    Exactly. As far as someone saying that turning a movie into a game makes it complete shit, let's look at Quantic Dream's previous 2 titles, shall we?

INTJ

are you seriously trusting gamespot since the kane and lynch incident

PRO Member

I've played the demo and it was beyond my expectation and I said def buying it now do I still need to care bout reviews or stuffs coming from ur mouths

Local Drunk

Don't see how 68 out of 100 = the game being total shit.

Regardless of scores I'm willing to give it a go, looks interesting.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I really want to like this game. I do think it was always going to have trouble stacking up to the mocap cut scenes in the last of us.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    are you seriously trusting gamespot since the kane and lynch incident
    Yes, I am. They fucked up once (that we know of). Heads rolled. Get over it.

PRO Member

Just got my special edtion 4 50 USD so worth it now ENJOY

Lvl 7 - Gold

I am a ways into this game now and I love it. The graphics are spectacular, the story is engaging and interesting, and t=for the first time in a while, my wife and I have a game we can play together on the couch. It's kind of fun because she is Jody and I am Aiden and we agreed to make whatever decisions we want as those characters. So she may be really nice as Jody and then I will do some crazy shit with Aiden and its really fun. Screw reviewers in general because the only way to know if a game is good is to play it yourself. Give it your own score.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Gonna be getting this game regardless of the polarizing reviews. I loved heavy rain and like some of said above the gameplay is not that crucial in this game. Its the presentation and story and i believe Quantic dream would have at least gotten that right. Waiting for a psn release though

Rangers F.C

I still plan on getting it . I have played all their games and loved them, I don't see this game changing my opinion of them .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

My copy should be arriving today just in time for the weekend, I'm really eager to play it

INTJ

high quality cinema

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast