Bioshock Infinite Wont Be so Black or White

This is a discussion on Bioshock Infinite Wont Be so Black or White within the BioShock Infinite forum, part of the B; Bioshock Infinite developer Irrational Games aims to ameliorate on the original title's black-and-white morality system which the designers believe failed ...

PRO Member

Bioshock Infinite Wont Be so Black or White

Bioshock Infinite developer Irrational Games aims to ameliorate on the original title's black-and-white morality system which the designers believe failed to have enough impact on players, writer Drew Holmes told Polygon.
    In Bioshock, players were regularly faced with the decision to harvest or save Little Sisters a decision that offered the player rewards in-game in the shape of Adam which could be used to buy abilities. According to Holmes, by incorporating the choice mechanic into the game as a way of acquiring items, players became numb to the philosophical consequences. In order to maintain the sense of significance behind player choices this time around, it will no longer be used as a strict gameplay mechanic, he said.

'YOU'RE NOT THINKING ABOUT IT ON A PHILOSOPHICAL OR MORAL LEVEL AT THAT TIME BECAUSE IT JUST BECOMES ‘I WANT THE MORE SPECIAL JUICE TO MAKE ME DO THE THING.''

"Looking back at Bioshock 1's choice system, it's something that's really powerful the first time, not really powerful the second time and by the 10th time you're not really trying to decide whether to harvest or save the little sisters," said Holmes. "You're not thinking about it on a philosophical or moral level at that time because it just becomes ‘I want the more special juice to make me do the thing.' It numbs people over time."

In a recent demo of the game, Polygon was shown how this system has evolved. Upon entering the city, protagonist Booker DeWitt wins a raffle, giving him the opportunity to throw a baseball at an interracial couple. The focus on ethics and morality becomes part of the narrative more than a function of the gameplay or a way of regularly gaining items.

Unlike the Plasmids of Bioshock, Infinite introduces Vigor abilities that are bought using Silver Eagles, the game's currency, and ingested by Booker. Vigor is powered by Salts, a resource that is found in-game and can be carried by Booker's companion Elizabeth who will throw you health packs, ammo and salts when you are running low, and will similarly warn Booker if there is a threat nearby. According to Irrational Games producer Mike Syrnyk, while she doesn't literally pick these resources up along the way, a system is built into the game governing how often she is able to throw the player these necessary items. The result is a system that doesn't require Little Sisters to help the player gain their powers.

"I think the goal this time around was to not ever let that happen, which is not to say that people won't become numb to actions in the game because maybe this is a problem with games in general, that we haven't quite figured out how to crack. But I think we never wanted there to be a feeling of ‘oh this is the part where we have to choose the thing so I can get the good stuff.'

While Bioshock instilled aspects of a Randian morality system into its gameplay, this time Holmes wants players to "think about the world they're in and not necessarily make a singular choice." In comparison to the original game, "the choice mechanic is not something that becomes commonplace in [Bioshock Infinite]," says Holmes. "There are certain moments when you'll see it, but it's no longer really a strict gameplay mechanic that's going to crop up over and over again."

Bioshock Infinite launches on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on March 26.

Change is mediocre

Lvl 7 - Gold

"BioShock didn't impact with players"

okay ... what the fuck.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]