Borderlands 2 Warning

This is a discussion on Borderlands 2 Warning within the Borderlands 2 forum, part of the B; It appears that people's gamesaves on the 360/PC are being infected with what is known as "Graveyard" . The Graveyard ...

Plats-O'-War!!

Borderlands 2 Warning

It appears that people's gamesaves on the 360/PC are being infected with what is known as "Graveyard". The Graveyard is a glitch that turns your save file into a unrecoverable file that screws players out of EVERYTHING . There are no known cases as of yet for the PS3. Read below for more info:

If you’ve played Borderlands 2 for any significant amount of time, you already know that Pandora is a very dangerous place. If a crazed business man isn’t trying to kill you at one moment, a rabid elemental creature definitely will be. But if you thought that the creatures and characters of Pandora were all you had to worry about in the world of Borderlands 2, think again as a new infection being passed around the community is killing off the game’s Xbox 360 and PC population, one Vault Hunter at a time.if you’ve ever played Borderlands 2 online with strangers, or a friend who has played with strangers, there is an ever increasing chance that your character’s savefile has been infected with what is being called “Graveyard,” it seems. What is “Graveyard”, exactly? I’ll let GameFAQs community member and avid Borderlands 2 player Dranaxscas explain it in his own words.
    What is graveyard.sav? What does this have to do with me?
    When you get hit by the glitch that turns your save into graveyard.sav, upon entering FFYL and then subsequently dying for whatever reason, you will never respawn. You die and go into a free roam camera. If you try to load another character, dashboard, restart your xbox, etc, your save data is completely gone and there is no hope of recovering it at that point, as it is renamed graveyard.sav and is missing the majority of the data it once had.
    What?! How did I get this?
    The glitch originated with the modding community and may or may not have been accidental. It spread from there, and it passes from the infected player to all other players in the game with said infected player. At this point, it’s a terrible chain, and chances are it passed to you through some randoms.
    He goes on to state that it CAN be fixed if you are able to put your save file on a USB drive and send it to one of the many modders who should be able to remove the “Graveyard” infection and get you back up and running. I personally wouldn’t recommend this, as it could also put your personal info saved on your Xbox or PC in jeopardy.
    This is what your save file will look like on the 360 (note, this could look the same for the PS3 as well):

So what should you do? First of all, check your Borderlands 2 save files on your Xbox 360 or PC. If you see your save file listed as “GRAVEYARD.SAV”, you’re ****ed and either have to take the risk of sending your file to a modder, or just start a new character now and hope and pray for a patch to come that fixes this later.The modding community has always been strong in Borderlands 2 despite the game and system’s lack of native support for it. And while mods usually bring us harmless guns that just obliterate everything you shoot with it, this one is the first one to obliterate people’s characters.
    Gearbox has yet to release any statement regarding the matter and one has to wonder if they will ever acknowledge it as it is a result of people hacking the game. As stated before, right now it only effects XBox 360 and PC gamers, with no reports of it on the PS3… yet. But if you play Borderlands 2, do yourself a favor and back up any save file you have right now, because you never know when it could hit you. We’ll keep you updated with any new info as it comes.
    Source: http://bgbureau.com/3481/warning-bac...-savefiles-now

Looks like this may put an end to "modding" Borderlands 2. Especially with those "One-hit" kill weapons. Has anyone experienced anything like this while playing Borderlands 2?

All out of bubblegum.....

well, I usually only play with people in my friends list...should be an easy thing to avoid for me. Great find though, lets hope the PS3 stays free and clear!
    Trade your Games HERE!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter

Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by scoggs34 View Post
    well, I usually only play with people in my friends list...should be an easy thing to avoid for me. Great find though, lets hope the PS3 stays free and clear!
    Same here. It's unfortunate that it hit the 360/PC community like it did. Hopefully, this will be dealt with very soon.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

That's a bummer, in the first Borderlands some guy i was playing with dropped a shitload of shields that essentially made you invincible but screw up your in game money but i got rid of the shield after a bit because i thought it might destroy all my gametime.

Personally, the only problem i had so far on Borderlands 2 was one of the bosses getting stuck on the scenery but becoming unkillable.

Death to zombies!!

Surely if the name of your save gets changed to graveyard.sav you can just load it up on your pc and rename it to what its ment to be as any change to the save name will make the save not work.

Glad i always make backups everyday and only play with psn friends

Sig by djunglist
    Platboy bar by Hitmon133

My checklist
    Stu's pot of shinies

Angel of Death

There sure seems to be a lot of annoying glitches in the game. Luckily I haven't come across any... Except for reaching level 25 and 50 without trophies. >_>

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm glad I don't play with randoms.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

Hidefninja.com

I have never played this online, and rarely play any game online.

PRO Member

STD's are at an all time high! Thank god that sex ed taught me something about doing it with randoms!
    On a serious note this is ass hope it doesnt come over to ps3 even though I do cloud save my BL2
    Last edited by Tmac718; 10-24-2012 at 12:38 AM.

PRO Member

wow that sucks for pc/xbox players that are getting infected... I really hope this doesn't come PS3s way... I've played with a couple randoms

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The solution is simple: don't die.

...lol

Ghost Assassin

I was playing with randoms this weekend and I died a lot If anything happened to me when my zero was lvl 45, then I would've lost it, unless I was able to restore from PS+ . It doesn't seem like it's an error made by the game, it looks more like a malicious mod that screws you over. The name graveyard.sav just looks too fishy. it would be weird if the developers actually made it so that a corrupt file appears as that.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I just save my profiles each day i play with them for it, though i doubt it will come to the Ps3 for awhile if at all.

Ice Cream Firefighter

I do remember reading about this last week or so but as for putting an end to the modding I don't think it will & it's about to go like Borderlands with the Rose Mod Shield & shit like that.

Willowtree a program that was used to crack the 1st Borderlands has learned how to crack Borderlands 2 successfully. Apparently the hardest part was re-inserting the data & have the game recognize it as a .sav file. The only thing stopping it from going public already is that they are making a user friendly interface for it. So expect it to be released very soon. (IMO they could have waited, at least till the last of the DLC gets released/ June 2013)

I don't care if you use modded weapons but please think about others before you join their game, as they could be pissed off that you're wasting their enjoyment of the game by speeding through their games experiences.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    I do remember reading about this last week or so but as for putting an end to the modding I don't think it will & it's about to go like Borderlands with the Rose Mod Shield & shit like that.

Willowtree a program that was used to crack the 1st Borderlands has learned how to crack Borderlands 2 successfully. Apparently the hardest part was re-inserting the data & have the game recognize it as a .sav file. The only thing stopping it from going public already is that they are making a user friendly interface for it. So expect it to be released very soon. (IMO they could have waited, at least till the last of the DLC gets released/ June 2013)

I don't care if you use modded weapons but please think about others before you join their game, as they could be pissed off that you're wasting their enjoyment of the game by speeding through their games experiences.
    Yeah i would pretty much leave any game that I joined in the original game if people had modded stuff it was pretty boring.

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Yeah i would pretty much leave any game that I joined in the original game if people had modded stuff it was pretty boring.
    I was one of the people who had mod gear in the first (someone dropped them & ran) but I earnt my trophies before I used them as I wanted to enjoy my games challenging moments first & if I join/ed someones game, I ask them before using them as a sign of respect & I never took any of their weapons either even if they were better than what I was holding.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post

I'm with you on this one.

I avoided playing Borderlands online with the exception of a few trusted friends from here, most notably cocoasg, and we never had a problem.

Mods ruined the online for the first game - not only were the weapons gamebreaking, but the inventory hacks would corrupt other people's saves in a similar way to the current Graveyard virus, though not to the same extent.

I don't see the point in enabling God-mode with hacked weapons and shields, it ruins the experience. Gearbox has essentially gifted it to us anyway with the Conference and Bee, so there's no need to mod, but at least we need to work to get those weapons in the first place.