Game won't run properly on original PlayStation 3?

This is a discussion on Game won't run properly on original PlayStation 3? within the Call of Duty: Black Ops II forum, part of the C; One of my cousins who owns the game said that the game doesn't run properly on his [original fat] PS3. ...

Deathless Destroyer

Game won't run properly on original PlayStation 3?

One of my cousins who owns the game said that the game doesn't run properly on his [original fat] PS3. Apparently, the game loads up as normal onto the start screen, though when he chooses Campaign, Zombies or Multiplayer the PS3 freezes up and shuts down immediately. He restored the entire system which wiped out all installed and collective data although the problem was still there. He also said that the game disc was in pristine condition with no scratches or smudges. Does is happen on anyone else's original PS3 or could this be a problem with the hardware or game disc?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Ghost Assassin

I have a fatty (80gb) model from 2008 with a 500gb harddrive and my game works fine. If he owns one of the very early models, then it may be a sign that the system might give out. Does it only happen with black ops 2? I'm not too experienced in ps3 issues though, so I'd wait for an opinion from anybody around the forums who dealt with a ps3 dying on them.

My Own Worst Enemy

The PS3 is infamous for disc reader issues. I just had to buy a new PS3 myself because of a similar problem.
    Sucks but it may be time for your friend to buy a new one.

(Props to dsluckay for the sig/avy) (Trophy bar by:Thunder)

Deathless Destroyer

My friend also said that all of the other games he owns works fine, so I'm not entirely sure it's a system error. My original PS3 YLOD'd in September while playing a game online after installing a firmware update, but my PS3 was basically 6 years old.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Lvl 6 - Silver

its the damn game. i get a few freezing once in awhile. treyarch are lazy they couldnt do a better port.they are worse than iw

Deathless Destroyer

I'm thinking of buying the game off him, though since I'm currently overseas in Asia I'm worried that when I get back and use it the same problem will occur on my slim PS3. Of course there may just be an unnoticeable problem within the disc or something, but I'm not entirely sure yet as I haven't actually seen my cousin run the disc on his PS3 yet.

Negator

Has 'your friend' tried a different copy of BLOPS2?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Kiwi Defender

Sounds like he has a faulty disc or something similar. I know it works on my fatass 80GB PS3.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Has 'your friend' tried a different copy of BLOPS2?
    No he hasn't, but I don't think that there is a problem with the disc itself since he said to me that it was in pretty much perfect condition. He said it loads up fine, though when he chooses to play the campaign, zombies or multiplayer the system almost-instantaneously shuts down. He says he can fiddle with the options (sound, display etc) but choosing the main options and starting them causes it to freeze and shut down.

Could this be a hardware or software problem?

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Could this be a hardware or software problem?
    Hard to say.

It's possible it's a disc drive error, but it's just as likely to be a faulty game data installation/game save corruption or an error with the disc itself.

Since your friend has tried other games, I'm leaning towards either disc error or game data/save corruption. If he truly did wipe (format) the console, then corruption of the save file and/or game data wouldn't be a likely cause...that leaves us only with the BLOPS2 disc as the culprit.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

Black ops 2 is known to freeze and shut down ps3 systems. It's an issue with the game which treyarch has attempted to patch but so far its done shit all. I have the same prob with my slim, it just crashes the console. I've stopped playing until its fixed cause its not worth losing all my data for.

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider