Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review By Dsluckay

This is a discussion on Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review By Dsluckay within the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 forum, part of the C; Overview Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 continues the story of Captain Price, Soap MacTavish, and Nikolai attempting to hunt ...

Change is mediocre

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review By Dsluckay

Overview

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 continues the story of Captain Price, Soap MacTavish, and Nikolai attempting to hunt down and kill Makarov, a modern day Russian terrorist. As they try and get to the bottom of Makarov's plan, they truly see how far he will go to succeed. Acitivision has been releasing Call Of Duty titles annually, with one release each year. I really wonder how much effort they are putting into these multi-award winning games.

Gameplay

Call Of Duty is known for its face-paced first-person shooting gameplay. Activision certainly kept that up with this new installment. Most things haven't changed from the previous game in this sub-series, Modern Warfare 2, it really makes you wonder what the developers were doing with their time. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has the exact same feel as its predecessors.

While these games may be getting a little old, they are still plenty fun. Like I said above, this game has the same look and feel as the other Call Of Duty's. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is fun to just game out with this game for a few hours, but truth be told you will probably get bored a little faster than the others. While some can plays this game for days on end, I couldn't. This game isn't flawed, but it didn't wow me either.

Do not get me wrong, there were some parts of this game that I really liked. Special Ops is a time-killer, yet very fun. It was good to see that Activision and the rest of the developers thought of something fun for the gamers, namely, Survival special ops. Surviving endless waves of enemies is just as fun as Black Op's (the previous Call Of Duty game) Zombies. I was intrigued when I saw that they added a point system to it as well, so you can earn experience points and level up while playing Missions or Survival.

Singleplayer

This is probably the Call Of Duty that shows the most evidence of a plot. The others (except Black Ops) were just point and shoot, mission after mission. There are certain key points in the plot that actually wow you. I won't get into too much details in case I spoil it for some people.

People who have played other Call Of Duty titles know that there are always stealth missions. I always thought this was the reason I still play Call Of Duty. You can just lay back, and pretend to be a silent kamikaze in a level or two.

There were some pretty cool designed levels as well. There is a mission where you are underwater, and have to plant c4 on a sub-marine, which was beautiful. Infinity Ward impresses me with their levels.They captured the areas pretty well I thought. When you are fighting in London, you arise from the subways to see that there is a massive war going on, and eventually, witness the fall of the Eiffel Tower.

I am pretty sure the developers were trying to impress the player by adding one scene in particular. Something to tell you that you are not just playing a game, nor a Call Of Duty. There is a scene in London where you are a man that is video-taping your wife and daughter. You walk over to them as guys come out of a van and run. Seconds later that van explodes and kills all three of the people. Sorry for the spoiler, but that doesn't really affecting the plot at all.

One thing Activision has done with each Call Of Duty title is have multiple playable characters. I still think that this is a bad idea as it is hard to really feel a connection with a character if you are constantly changing characters. One in particular is Yuri. You play him through the game and are told that he wants to kill Makarov more than anyone, yet it takes them up to three quarters of the game to explain why. Up to then, Yuri doesn't even speak, so I wasn't even sure he was a main character until near the end of the game.

Multiplayer

I can admittedly say that this was the last thing I played when I played Modern Warfare 3. I wasn't interested in it as I was terribly disappointed with Black Op's multiplayer. Upon seeing that the UMP45 was still in the game (which was my favorite weapon in Modern Warfare 2, a game in which I couldn't put the controller down). When I started to play my first match, I was disappointed once again. Still weapons seemed to be far too overpowered and dying was almost as natural as breathing.

After playing a few more matches I was mistaken a little bit. Upon unlocking some better weapons, I started to like it almost as much as I did Modern Warfare 2. The weapon physics have changed, and there actually wasn't that many overpowering guns, that first match of mine must've been a fluke.

I can say that I still didn't really enjoy Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer as much as I had hoped/expected. It became a little lackluster after a couple matches. The same gameplay over and over gets a little old. As a result I cannot say too much about Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer.

Technical

The graphics have been improved since that previous Call Of Duty title, but they still do not meet up to modern day standards. There are games like Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception and Batman: Arkham City, as well as Assassin's Creed where the graphics are over the top. With the amount of money being made off of Call Of Duty games I would love to know how much actually goes into making the next one.

There are still some weapon overpowering problems at times which can be annoying in the multiplayer. As well, the levels are sometimes a little dull. Most of them are just a lot of the same colors. Namely brown, which is the main color in quite a lot of the game.

Trophies

Modern Warfare 3 can be an easy platinum once the Special Ops missions are finished. While they aren't as hard as Modern Warfare 2's missions, they are still a little difficult. The singleplayer veteran mode is much easier due to no infinite enemy respawn and grenade spam. There is nothing really to worry about when attempting to earn this platinum trophy.

Closing Thoughts

Modern Warfare 3 seems like an old, lackluster game that tries a little to hard, or too little at times. I hated how little the developers put into the game. It really makes it dull and old. There were some things that were good in the game, which overpower the negative aspects. All in all, it is a good buy for the avid first-person shooter gamer.

Gameplay: 6/10
    Quite dull and boring. No different than the other Call Of Duty titles. This results in a very lackluster game.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    A little eye-opening at times, with an actually ok plot. A good game to play for a few hours.

Multiplayer: 8/10
    I really do not want to play the same game over and over again. I don't have much motives to actually keep playing it.

Technical: 7/10
    Ok yet a little dull graphics, with a great level design. Sort of evens itself out, but it isn't something to be overlooked completely.

Overall: 7.5/10

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Not as brillant as your Batman review but still awesome.