Dark Souls 2's New Beginning

This is a discussion on Dark Souls 2's New Beginning within the Dark Souls II forum, part of the D; IGN has a decent article regarding Dark Souls II. Some of it's old news, and some of it's stuff I ...

KCCO!

Dark Souls 2's New Beginning

IGN has a decent article regarding Dark Souls II. Some of it's old news, and some of it's stuff I hadn't heard before. The article gives a pretty lengthy description of the opening portions of the game and what you can expect. There are also some key changes that are discussed that are now a bit different from the previous installment.
    • Every time you die in Dark Souls II, your health bar drops a bit. Die enough and it will drop down to 50%.
    • If you're a bad player - one who invades a lot - your sin level will rise, and your health will drop below 50% down as far as 10%.
    • Burning a human effigy is the only way to regain your human form and reset it. However, those effigies aren't infinite.
    • Burning items at bonfires opens up many possibilities: one item strengthens all the enemies in an area.
    • There's room on your undead fingers for four rings now, not two.
    • Also ... there's now voice chat during co-op, though it's mutually opt-in.
    • There's also an item that can reset your character parameters, presumably enabling you to change your playstyle by redistributing your Soul Level points more easily.
    • No longer do you level up at bonfires; instead you must speak with a woman standing at the edge of the cliff near the first bonfire, Dark Souls II's own Maiden in Black.
    • At any bonfire, you can travel back to another that you've found before; like returning to the Nexus to recuperate.

Source:
    Dark Souls 2's New Beginning - IGN

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Every time you die in Dark Souls II, your health bar drops a bit. Die enough and it will drop down to 50%.
    That's killer. Sounds similar to Demon's souls...only less crazy

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    That's killer. Sounds similar to Demon's souls...only less crazy
    Yeah, no kidding. I also like the fact that they "punish" invaders. Honestly, they should've put something like this in previous games. It would probably deter some from just constantly invading others just to be an asshole.

Kiwi Defender

Some of this things are good additions, but others kind of kill what made the other two games so unique and interesting, not to mention challenging. Sure, it seems now you can make it even more challenging, but when you can pretty much re-make your build from scratch, how can you find yourself in trouble against anything?

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Some of this things are good additions, but others kind of kill what made the other two games so unique and interesting, not to mention challenging. Sure, it seems now you can make it even more challenging, but when you can pretty much re-make your build from scratch, how can you find yourself in trouble against anything?
    Well, the article doesn't really go into great detail as far as how those mechanics are. It may be that the cost of re-specing is high enough that you can't go around doing it willy-nilly. Even with some of the additions, I still think the game will be plenty challenging at first. Like any other game, though, the more you play it and the better you get, the challenge quickly fades. Dark Souls, by now, could be considered an "easy" game by many.

Bringing the PAIN

Well, the article doesn't really go into great detail as far as how those mechanics are. It may be that the cost of re-specing is high enough that you can't go around doing it willy-nilly. Even with some of the additions, I still think the game will be plenty challenging at first. Like any other game, though, the more you play it and the better you get, the challenge quickly fades. Dark Souls, by now, could be considered an "easy" game by many.
    Put me on the list of "many"... I like and dislike some of these facts... We shall see!

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Dull Ember

Yeah, no kidding. I also like the fact that they "punish" invaders. Honestly, they should've put something like this in previous games. It would probably deter some from just constantly invading others just to be an asshole.
    Being invaded should be encouraged not punished, it's part of the game. If you don't like it don't play online.
    Voice chat sounds horrendous, anyone who mutually agrees to it should be punished.
    I don't want to reset my character parameters, choices should be permanent.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Elpoko View Post
    Being invaded should be encouraged not punished, it's part of the game. If you don't like it don't play online.
    Voice chat sounds horrendous, anyone who mutually agrees to it should be punished.
    I don't want to reset my character parameters, choices should be permanent.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I respectfully disagree. I, for example, enjoy playing online doing coop. I'm not a fan of invading or being invaded. I'm sure there are people who love PvP. While I understand it's a primary mechanic of the game, I just wish it wasn't something that was mandatory that you endure if you just want to coop.

As far as stats, this isn't the first game where you can respec your character. Seeing as how you like invasions, I assume you're a fan of PvP. This sounds like something PvPers would love. Ultimately, it's yojr choice. Don't want to respec? Simple. Don't do it.

Bob 'n' Becca

Typically, I'm not a fan of PvP. It was so annoying for me in the past two games that I would intentionally play offline unless I was boosting. I'm not too worried this time around. I kind of want the challenge. Also, like a lot of things, such as glitching in previous installments, if a person chooses to re-spec it truly only affects them. Nobody else is bothered by the choice, or is even hip to it.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!