Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

This is a discussion on Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4) within the Dark Souls II forum, part of the D; Since there doesnt seem to be a subfora yet for this game in the PS4 area, I guess I'll post ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

Since there doesnt seem to be a subfora yet for this game in the PS4 area, I guess I'll post here until there is.

Bought the game a few days ago. Currently level 30 (Sorc), with 3 shards, and working on Forest of the Giants area.

Impressions thus far:

> DIFFICULTY: I've found this game is much more tedious than it needs to be, to the point where it causes constant backtracking (early on) due to (a) rapid gear wear and breakage, and (b) an incrementally increasing death penalty (which can be briefly reversed with effigys that are worth their weight in gold). I've always found such features to be annoying rather than fun, but that's just me ... to each their own.

> GRAPHICS/AMBIENCE: To be honest, I liked Skyrim (which I finished 3+ times) a lot better. DS2 has somewhat of a 'last gen' feel (not surprising since it's a PS3 game reissued for the PS4), a somewhat dreary ambience, and all the NPCs speak annoyingly slowly (like they've overdosed on CNS depressants) and have be sped up manually with controller intervention. Also, despite the 60 FPS, the combat system feels clumsy.

So, as of this writing, I'm just not feeling the love yet. That might eventually change, but it hasn't yet. IMNSHO, a game needs to be more than just expansive, imaginative and challenging - for me, it also needs to be fun and evoke a sense of wonder. This game is more of a test of patience than fun for me.

Anyway, I needed something to keep me occupied until Witcher 3 or Arkham Knight comes out next month ... as soon as it does, I'll probably do a standing wheelspin outta here, whether I've finished or not.

No flames pls.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

The item wear is very tedious and annoying early on, but it's not a game breaker. After a while, your activities begin to take the shape of short forays, which end when your weapons get heavily worn and you run low on spells and/or ranged ammo ... then you head for the nearest bonfire to rest & repair, then you re-clear back to where you left off, and resume exploring. Rinse and repeat.

It's a bit hard just getting a toehold in this game, because very little is explained ... you're just tossed in and have to swim or sink. However, after clearing most of the intial area, and majula, the game starts to make sense, and your game reflexes will start to gel.

Progress update: I'm level 40ish now, with 4 shards for the Estus flask and 4 rings, which helps. Getting more adept with rolling and combat timing too. Almost done with Forest of the Giants area (just need to do the two mini boss fights, and some cleanup). This game gives out spells too slowly ... I'm level 40ish sorc, and I only have 2 offensive spells so far ? (soul arrow and greater soul arrow). Good thing I decided to round out into a mage-fighter by adding a falchion and a short bow, or I'd be toast.

At the moment my weapons are as follows:
    R.Hand - Staff (alt: Short Bow)
    L.Hand - Dagger (alts: Falchion, Short Sword)

I'm trying to stick with low weapon class ratings (C or better).
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

Level 48 Sorc now.

R Hand: Sorc Staff +4
    L. Hand: Fire Sword +2, Heide Sword +2, Short Bow
    Smattering of decent rings: Silvercat, Binding, a stamina ring (long name), and several others.

On a detour into Saints Tomb, so I can finish Heide Tower. Keeping my eyes peeled for decent sorc armor, but havent found squat yet.

Most souls lost to date: 7800ish (ouch) ... happened across a boss unexpectedly and a force wall trapped me, and I promptly got tentpegged.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

I think I'll give up on this subfora - a glance at all the other threads shows little or no activity in nearly a year.

Waste of time.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

I stopped by just to see if anyone posted, and lo and behold ...

Yes, it takes a while to get a toehold in this game, and there is little in the way if in-game explanation, help or guidance, so perseverence is a must when playing this one. I'm around level 130ish as I type this, and still have a long way to go (I'm probably between one third and half done with my first playthough ... not sure if I'll bother with NG+ though).

Advice for beginners:

* Estus Flasks: This is your single most important tool and lifeline in the game. I strongly recommend prioritizing the use of an online guide to help find shards and sublime bone dust to upgrade it. The stronger your flask, and the more charges, the longer and more aggressively you can run individual excursions between trips to the nearest bonfire to replenish.

* Bonfires Everytime you unlock a new map area, your first priority is to find and light the nearest bonfire, which becomes your onsite base of operations. That's where your spell slots replenish, your gear automatically repairs itself, and you regain hitpoints when resting.

* Here's a weapon scaling spreadsheet to help compare weapons. Enter your stats in the yellow cells in row 2.

* Sector Inter-connectivity Map. I normally never resort to online maps, but since this game inexplicably contains no in-game world map, it's all but impossible to avoid the necessity. This is just a top level world map, so it's not technically a spoiler but rather a helpful time-saving point of reference.

Hope that helps fellow n00bs. This game is a PITA.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

And we're back to dead silence again.

I'll probably check in occasionally to look at the guides on any future games I buy, but other than that I'm pretty much done with this site.

Fully a quarter of the members on this site seem rude & immature, the admin appears to be AWOL (no response to PMs), and the few pleasant and cogent people I've encountered dont post enough to make remaining here worthwhile. All classic signs of an online community in decline.
    Amazon Reviewer