Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dark Souls PvP Tournament

This is a discussion on Dark Souls PvP Tournament within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; Nero, Jack, and I are thinking about hosting a PvP tournament for Dark Souls . As of yet, this is ...

KCCO!

Dark Souls PvP Tournament

Nero, Jack, and I are thinking about hosting a PvP tournament for Dark Souls. As of yet, this is merely an idea and the specifics have not been ironed out. However, here are some probable considerations for the tournament. Post if you're interested, and if there's enough interest in the tournament, we'll proceed forward with planning the details. Also, post if you have any comments on the items below so we can take them into consideration as well.

Rules and Regulations

1. 140 Soul Level MAXIMUM! No exceptions! I'm assuming people will be somewhere within the 120-140 range, so that should be ok for match-making purposes. If you can't meet this, let me know ASAP so we can work something out.
    2. No CHAIN backstabbing! This is not a tactic that shows skill, and is cheap.
    3. All weapons are allowed except for the Stone Greatsword's R2 attack.
    4. All armor is allowed.
    5. All magic is allowed except for Tranquil Walk of Peace miracle.
    6. All rings are allowed except for the Hornet's Ring (unless both participants agree); the extra critical damage is too large to go unnoticed and a lucky backstab could make the difference between a win and a loss.
    7. Healing is to be done via Humanity/Divine Blessing, with a maximum 2-3 times depending on what the duelists agree upon.
    1st Place Prize: All Knights Honor weapons and stone-upgraded weapons, and possibly some consumables (e.g., boss souls and other rare items).

2nd Place Prize: Knights Honor trophy weapons only.

3rd Place Prize: 2 Knights Honor trophy weapons of your choosing.

Consolation Prize: TBD, if anything. If you have any ideas, let me know. Something along the lines of a complete set of titanite slabs would be reasonable. Another option would be a set of 99 of the rare upgrade materials such as dragon scales or demon titanite.
    1. Vulgar
    2. cocoasg
    3. JackAttack
    4. BLaCKoNi666
    5. Nero
    6. Hitman
    7. Deathsreject
    8. hellooo_hellooo
    Last edited by Hitman; 06-11-2012 at 05:32 AM.

дурак

I'm in. Need to do some leveling in that case.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Hehe, this sounds good but I doubt my SL 140 INT character will be eligible though, I guess? I do not know if I will have the time to bring up another SL 1 character up to 120, at least until after May. Either way, good luck with the tournament! Be sure to post VoD's as well; use the binoculars, or a high vantage point as the observer.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

KCCO!

Well, I set the max at 120 tentativiely. This is still up in the air. It it looks like more people are above the 120 mark then below it, it could be increased to accomodate more people, if they are really interested. It may make it difficult to match-make for people that like to keep their PvP SL low, though. We'll see.

Legendary...Nuff Said

I'm in, and willing to host if needed.

Here's just my IDEAS for rules and such:
    - A double-elimination bracket would work well. Each individual duel should be a best of 3.
    - I think the max SL should be raised to something such as SL 125, which allows for a bit more comfort in terms of sorting out builds.
    - There should be a definitive rule on healing. I'll say that we should allow 2-3 Divine Blessings per match for both players.
    - It should be hosted in Blighttown in the area with the Dragon Scale (near swamp bonfire). It's a good gladiator arena-styled place that doesn't get too much activity, allowing for easy summons.
    - There should be ONE host per every duel. Both players should be red phantoms so neither is even allowed the temptation of Estus.
    - There should be no restrictions on weapons/magic/equipment unless it's to utilize a glitch. (Such as using the Dragon torso and backstabbing with a bow for a one-shot.)

Those are my ideas - looking forward to this eventually happening!

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I'm in, and willing to host if needed.

Here's just my IDEAS for rules and such:
    - A double-elimination bracket would work well. Each individual duel should be a best of 3.
    - I think the max SL should be raised to something such as SL 125, which allows for a bit more comfort in terms of sorting out builds.
    - There should be a definitive rule on healing. I'll say that we should allow 2-3 Divine Blessings per match for both players.
    - It should be hosted in Blighttown in the area with the Dragon Scale (near swamp bonfire). It's a good gladiator arena-styled place that doesn't get too much activity, allowing for easy summons.
    - There should be ONE host per every duel. Both players should be red phantoms so neither is even allowed the temptation of Estus.
    - There should be no restrictions on weapons/magic/equipment unless it's to utilize a glitch. (Such as using the Dragon torso and backstabbing with a bow for a one-shot.)

Those are my ideas - looking forward to this eventually happening!
    Some good ideas here.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I only have one Character and i am sure he is above 120, though haven't played Dark Souls in a couple of months so bit rusty but if i am up for it if

Annoying PS3T.com members since March 2010

Harvester of Souls

Now to just touch up the rules and choose a time. I do think we should place precedance on the Demon's Souls tourny first with US servers going down.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    Now to just touch up the rules and choose a time. I do think we should place precedance on the Demon's Souls tourny first with US servers going down.
    Yeah, I'm not trying to steal the thunder from that. I don't see this taking place until after that's finished, and all the details of this are ironed out.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Some more rule ideas:

- No max-HP-Giant-Gear-Mask-of-the-Mother-kartwheeling-lightning-weapon-wielding-builds. They're lame and there's little skill in making a build that is difficult to beat.
    - No cheap tactics. I don't want to be seeing Bandit Daggers and Hornet Ring combos here. I want fair duels.
    - No backstabs. Seriously. They're lame ways to gain advantage of your opponent. Parries are okay since they actually require skill to pull off.
    - How about 0 poise? Personally, I think poise is stupid and people take advantage of it. 0 poise would go back to DS dueling roots, and I'd be all for it.

дурак

Some more rule ideas:

- No max-HP-Giant-Gear-Mask-of-the-Mother-kartwheeling-lightning-weapon-wielding-builds. They're lame and there's little skill in making a build that is difficult to beat.
    - No cheap tactics. I don't want to be seeing Bandit Daggers and Hornet Ring combos here. I want fair duels.
    - No backstabs. Seriously. They're lame ways to gain advantage of your opponent. Parries are okay since they actually require skill to pull off.
    - How about 0 poise? Personally, I think poise is stupid and people take advantage of it. 0 poise would go back to DS dueling roots, and I'd be all for it.
    The only problem with no backstabs is sometimes they just happen when you don't mean to, I've gotten random backstabs before. I don't see a huge problem with backstabs as long as people aren't purposely fishing for them.

However chaining backstabs is a bullshit tactic I hate seeing personally. Just my two cents.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    The only problem with no backstabs is sometimes they just happen when you don't mean to, I've gotten random backstabs before. I don't see a huge problem with backstabs as long as people aren't purposely fishing for them.

However chaining backstabs is a bullshit tactic I hate seeing personally. Just my two cents.
    There is a very simple way to avoid chain backstabs. After being initially backstabbed by your opponent, if you see him waiting just behind you while you are still recovering from the backstab, move the camera towards him then unlock your center reticule from him (as in, do not lock on anymore). Then, simply roll PAST him, not AWAY from him. This way, you cannot be chain-backstabbed.

Another more daring way is simply to parry him right after you recover from the first backstab. Just immediately face him and then parry away with good timing after you stand up. Sure, more risk but the prize!

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    There is a very simple way to avoid chain backstabs. After being initially backstabbed by your opponent, if you see him waiting just behind you while you are still recovering from the backstab, move the camera towards him then unlock your center reticule from him (as in, do not lock on anymore). Then, simply roll PAST him, not AWAY from him. This way, you cannot be chain-backstabbed.

Another more daring way is simply to parry him right after you recover from the first backstab. Just immediately face him and then parry away with good timing after you stand up. Sure, more risk but the prize!
    I rarely get chain backstabbed, but I'll keep that in mind next time I get invaded by some cheap asshole.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Nope, the other player can still chain you depending on where he's standing waiting for the chain. You pretty much have a 50/50 guess at how he's going to chain, and if you don't guess correctly you're screwed. The only way to actually avoid a chain is to NOT roll after you get backstabbed. Doing so adds invincibility frames to you meaning you can't be backstabbed. The problem with that is you're still vulnerable to all other types of attacks.

KCCO!

Ok, as far as the backstabs go, how about this? If someone does a backstab here and there (intentional or otherwise) that's fine. However, if we see it's chain backstabs being done intentionally, that person will, in essence, forfeit that particular match.

And this is why I'm horrible at PvP. A tactic like this would require so much thought on my part, I'd never even think to doing something like this..

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Nope, the other player can still chain you depending on where he's standing waiting for the chain. You pretty much have a 50/50 guess at how he's going to chain, and if you don't guess correctly you're screwed. The only way to actually avoid a chain is to NOT roll after you get backstabbed. Doing so adds invincibility frames to you meaning you can't be backstabbed. The problem with that is you're still vulnerable to all other types of attacks.
    That too is another factor. All that matters is how often you let your back be exposed. Oftentimes, your opponent can roll in the same direction as you and still get a (chain) backstab up. That, or unlocked backstabs and any other type of backstab, really. Still, the method I mentioned is, in my opinion, the safest and most sure-fire way to escape a chain backstab, depending on the lag. =3

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    And this is why I'm horrible at PvP. A tactic like this would require so much thought on my part, I'd never even think to doing something like this..

Ok, as far as the backstabs go, how about this? If someone does a backstab here and there (intentional or otherwise) that's fine. However, if we see it's chain backstabs being done intentionally, that person will, in essence, forfeit that particular match.
    Hehe, fret not, PVP in Dark Souls does not discriminate too much (not as much as Demon's Souls anyway). Just have fun whichever way you want it! Sometimes, you can even fight naked with only fists or claws if your opponent follows suit, and there are a lot of like-minded players out there who just want to have some silly PVP fun. ^o^

As for that new backstab rule, it is fine! Chain backstabs are a no-no, but a backstab in any form is okay in my opinion. It would only be your fault if you let your guard down that easily, no?
    Last edited by cocoasg; 04-19-2012 at 08:57 AM.

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg;220903
    Hehe, fret not, PVP in Dark Souls does not discriminate too much (not as much as Demon's Souls anyway). Just have fun whichever way you want it! Sometimes, you can even fight naked with only fists or claws if your opponent follows suit, and [b
    there are a lot of like-minded players out there who just want to have some silly PVP fun. ^o^[/b]

As for that new backstab rule, it is fine! Chain backstabs are a no-no, but a backstab in any form is okay in my opinion. It would only be your fault if you let your guard down that easily, no?
    That's what I was planning on doing, putting on some idiotic looking gear, with a dumb loadout and just have fun xD

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

I'm perfectly fine with that. No complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpoko View Post
    Im probably priced out of any tournament but I don't get the whole no backstab thing all should be fair in pvp bring what you want and do whatever it takes to win I understand the need for a sl cap maybe it could be split into divisions eg sl100-125 sl125-150 etc

Because this isn't about being victorious to some of us. I entered to have fun and play with some like minded individuals, nothing more. People's desire for victory and the way they obtain that victory (I'm referring to the fishing for backstabs and chaining them) would sort of ruin that. Plus people who only go for backstabs have no integrity.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Elpoko View Post
    Im probably priced out of any tournament but I don't get the whole no backstab thing all should be fair in pvp bring what you want and do whatever it takes to win I understand the need for a sl cap maybe it could be split into divisions eg sl100-125 sl125-150 etc
    There's a certain level of respect that 'duelists' such as myself generally follow, and for tournaments, it's best if everyone follows suit as well. It keeps the games fair, clean, and fun.

ADMlNlSTRATOR

There's a certain level of respect that 'duelists' such as myself generally follow, and for tournaments, it's best if everyone follows suit as well. It keeps the games fair, clean, and fun.
    If you give up your back, you deserve to be stabbed in it.

What is this, a PvP tournament or a day care?

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    If you give up your back, you deserve to be stabbed in it.

What is this, a PvP tournament or a day care?
    Agreed. PvP tournaments have rules, but said rules do not follow cavalry standards. That can be left for the wanna-be Englishmen who want to get dq'd at the first round

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast