Dark Souls advice for an INT build?

This is a discussion on Dark Souls advice for an INT build? within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; I've tried to make an Intelligence build for PvP/Co-Op, but I seem to always go wrong somewhere. Anyone got any ...

дурак

Dark Souls advice for an INT build?

I've tried to make an Intelligence build for PvP/Co-Op, but I seem to always go wrong somewhere.

Anyone got any advice on this odd build. I'm more used to DEX builds and whatnot.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    I've tried to make an Intelligence build for PvP/Co-Op, but I seem to always go wrong somewhere.

Anyone got any advice on this odd build. I'm more used to DEX builds and whatnot.
    Well, what exactly are you doing? Like where are you putting your stats? What weapon(s), armor, rings are you using? Spells? etc. Also, what seems to be going 'wrong'?

дурак

Whenever I do an INT build I seem to pour my souls levels into Intelligence and nothing else, making my character a glass cannon. So I'm curious what a good balance is. I know I want a good amount of INT, but I can't seem to figure out how much is too much. I don't see myself using White Dragon Breath, so 50 seems a tad high for me. But is there really such a thing as too much INT?

I also can't understand the difference between some catalysts.

My main priority is to have some weapons that scale with my INT. And for the ones that do not, I use Magic Weapon/Great Magic Weapon/Crystal Magic Weapon. I'm still kind of debating with myself what kind of armor I want to use. I want at least enough poise to not get stunlocked by Katanas, but not so much that it's overkill. Also thinking of giving up the DWGR in favor of something that boosts my Magic in some way.

I know I want to use the Moonlight Greatsword since I've always liked that weapon, and I also like the Moonlight Butterfly Horn. After that whatever weapon I use depends on whether I focus more on STR or DEX, and I'm also wondering which of those is more beneficial for an INT build.
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Dull Ember

It's a while since I've played this game but I was soul level 140 ish operating with intel of 50. My catalyst was the crystal one from the drop in dukes archives(can't remember his name). I mainly sacrificed hp as I had fairly high dex and strength as i needed to be quite mobile. I wore the black leather aromour +5 again for mobility. I wore the ring found inthe forest that changes rolling action & the ring that increases mp but cuts total spells in half. My spell of choice was homing crystal bought in dukes archives one clean hit was enough to see of most in pvp I also had velkas rapier+5 as a melee. In short in my experience a high intl build also needs to be very nimble.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Depends on what other places you've put your stats. For instance, if you had additionally put like 40 points into DEX, using CMW would yield devastating results.

However, if you haven't, there's ways around that too.

Simply put it, the Moonlight Greatsword is the best weapon for INT builds, and should be used. To offset this, the Moonlight Butterfly horn could be used as a backup, or in the left hand as a sidearm. Both of these weapons will have a low-ish damage rating compared to other weapons, but they're wrong. Why? Because they do ONLY magic damage. Compared to something like a Lightning Uchi, in reality you'll be doing about 300 more damage than that with the Moonlight Greatsword.

For spells, honestly, they all suck for PvP. There are no sorceries that are in anyway useful for a duel. Same for miracles, as not even WoG is usable since people can roll-backstab you through it. Pyromancy is, however, EXTREMELY effective with spells such as Great Combustion or Great Chaos Fireball. However, it doesn't find too much use on an INT build unless you want to incorporate it.

So my advice is to go straight melee.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

дурак

Yeah now that I think about it, I'll probably pour a good amount into DEX, that way I can use CMW and my spells will cast a bit faster.

And I agree it needs to stay nimble, so the DWGR will stay, other slot I'm not sure how to use it.

Right now my build looks like this:

SL 52

Vit 25 (Thinking of pushing it to at least 30-35)
    Attunement 15 (Probably going to push it to 19 or so. 5 attunement slots sounds good enough)
    Endurance 12 (This is another area I'm stuck in, I'm not sure how far to push it)
    Strength 16 (Might push it to 25 or less, not sure yet)
    Dexterity 16 (Will be getting it to 40-ish area)
    Resistance 8 (Not gonna touch it, fairly pointless)
    Intelligence 31 (Will be pushing it to about 40)
    Faith 8 (Again, might not touch it, unless I decide to use heal or something with Velkas Talisman, but I'm not gonna hold my breath)

Mind you, I'm probably going to level this build to around 120-125 at the most. So I got plenty of breathing room. But I'm a perfectionist when it comes to builds.

Thanks for the advice guys. Still not sure about END, but I will figure it out.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Yeah now that I think about it, I'll probably pour a good amount into DEX, that way I can use CMW and my spells will cast a bit faster.

And I agree it needs to stay nimble, so the DWGR will stay, other slot I'm not sure how to use it.

Right now my build looks like this:

SL 52

Vit 25 (Thinking of pushing it to at least 30-35)
    Attunement 15 (Probably going to push it to 19 or so. 5 attunement slots sounds good enough)
    Endurance 12 (This is another area I'm stuck in, I'm not sure how far to push it)
    Strength 16 (Might push it to 25 or less, not sure yet)
    Dexterity 16 (Will be getting it to 40-ish area)
    Resistance 8 (Not gonna touch it, fairly pointless)
    Intelligence 31 (Will be pushing it to about 40)
    Faith 8 (Again, might not touch it, unless I decide to use heal or something with Velkas Talisman, but I'm not gonna hold my breath)

Mind you, I'm probably going to level this build to around 120-125 at the most. So I got plenty of breathing room. But I'm a perfectionist when it comes to builds.

Thanks for the advice guys. Still not sure about END, but I will figure it out.
    Here's my recommendation if you're wanting to go for a CMW build:

VIT: 40-50 - Considering there's plenty of people out there that run around with 90 VIT or so, the extra health is huge. Anything less than 40 will mean you can get two-shot by a couple of the most powerful weapons.

ATT: 12 - I know you're already past this, but for the future, spells have very little place in PvP. Two spells slots is generally enough. Stack 2 sets of CMW and you're on your way. Other sorceries practically suck.

END: 40 - DEFINITELY get your END to 40. This is where the stamina cap lays. A full bar of stamina is essential to successful PvP, and you also get a good amount of equip burden along with it, allowing you to probably equip a full set of medium armor if the Dark Wood Grain Ring is used.

STR: 16 - Enough to wield the Moonlight Greatsword and all DEX weapons.

DEX: 40 - Gets good stat scaling. Going past 40 is not recommended as you won't get much of a damage bonus from it.

RES: 8 - No point in putting levels here.

INT: 32-44 - 32 INT is required for CMW, but adding on will increase the buff's damage.

FAI: 8 - Do not touch this either. Using the Heal miracle is utterly worthless in PvP and co-op as well. Just bring a nice stack of Humanity with you for a PvP outing just in case.

That's what I would personally do, but it's your build so you can take it whichever way you want.

дурак

If that's what you advise, I probably will need to push my SL to 125, but essentially yeah that seems fine. And the reason I have more attunement than you recommended is because I want to use other spell aside from CMW. It's not about being victories, but having a competent INT build. And to an extent I'm gonna have to disagree with you when you say some spells have no place in PvP. Homing Souls Mass is rather useful in some situations, and if you can time it right, Soul Spear can do a devastating amount of damage to a player.

Legendary...Nuff Said

If that's what you advise, I probably will need to push my SL to 125, but essentially yeah that seems fine. And the reason I have more attunement than you recommended is because I want to use other spell aside from CMW. It's not about being victories, but having a competent INT build. And to an extent I'm gonna have to disagree with you when you say some spells have no place in PvP. Homing Souls Mass is rather useful in some situations, and if you can time it right, Soul Spear can do a devastating amount of damage to a player.
    Now I'm not saying that Homing Crystal Soulmass and Soul Spear won't do devastating damage, hell, if you put on the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, use the Tin Crystallization Catalyst, and wear the Crown of Dusk, you will be able to do around 1,500-2,000 damage with a Crystal Soul Spear, and that's awesome, but the odds that you actually land that in PvP is so unbelievably slim that I personally don't find it worth it to push for the extra ATT slots when I can be allocating points elsewhere.

Trust me, I used to play with an INT build all the time (before the game glitched and I somehow lost all my souls and Humanity earnings from PvP), and I used to have 19 ATT as well. Once in maybe every 20 matches or so, one spell would land, it'd do a bunch of damage, and I'd win because of it. But all the other times I would just four-shot combo people with my Moonlight Greatsword.

Granted, for a PvE/co-op character, you can't go wrong with having extra spell slots. It's just that for PvP the only spells that I find successful and get personally beat with are a constant stream of Pyromancy. Again, though, don't let me nurse you into creating a build. Go for whatever you like.

дурак

Quick question: Do Catalyst's lose durability through spell usage or is it only when it is used to physically hit something

Dull Ember

Mine got extensive use and never required maintenance.

KCCO!

Yeah, I would doubt it'd be through casting that it wears down...pretty sure it's only after physical abuse.

дурак

Just making sure. Ok so my build is on it's way to being made, and I've taken all suggestions into account. Thanks alot guys, playing as an INT build has made me want to play this more.

KCCO!

Just making sure. Ok so my build is on it's way to being made, and I've taken all suggestions into account. Thanks alot guys, playing as an INT build has made me want to play this more.
    I've tried an INT build briefly and I just can't wrap my head around it. I'm not a huge fan of the Moonlight Greatsword moveset and I find the magic casting rate too slow, even for PvE. I think it's slower than casting rate in DS and my opinion is biased.

дурак

The Moonlight Greatswords moveset doesn't bother me. I used to use a Claymore all the time, and it's very similar, so the transition was pretty easy.

The magic casting in this game is slower, but again, that doesn't bother me, you just have to practice good timing of certain spells and it'll be like second nature. Than again, I usually save my spell uses for bosses, since they do a fuckton of damage.

Also the Moonlight Butterfly Horn has saved my ass in PvP more times than I can count. Seriously need to buy some Repair Powder of get the Repair spell. But that means I have to kill the Hydra, and that shit gets irritating (To be honest the whole forest area in general is my least favorite area)

KCCO!

The Moonlight Greatswords moveset doesn't bother me. I used to use a Claymore all the time, and it's very similar, so the transition was pretty easy.

The magic casting in this game is slower, but again, that doesn't bother me, you just have to practice good timing of certain spells and it'll be like second nature. Than again, I usually save my spell uses for bosses, since they do a fuckton of damage.

Also the Moonlight Butterfly Horn has saved my ass in PvP more times than I can count. Seriously need to buy some Repair Powder of get the Repair spell. But that means I have to kill the Hydra, and that shit gets irritating (To be honest the whole forest area in general is my least favorite area)
    Why not just by the repair box? Also, the Hydra...piss easy. Decent shield in left hand...crossbow in right hand...4-5 minutes later...dead Hydra.

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Why not just by the repair box? Also, the Hydra...piss easy. Decent shield in left hand...crossbow in right hand...4-5 minutes later...dead Hydra.
    Crossbow? I never though of that. Thanks, I'll try that, I usually get up by the rocks to the right and wait for it to slam down it's head and than either run up and slash away, or use my bow.

Anyhow, since my build is pretty much set in ston0,e I'll close this thread, but before I do, I'm gonna post a video I just recorded of the build.

дурак

Thread closed.