Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

*Spoiler Alert* Dark Souls has a version of Yurt!

This is a discussion on *Spoiler Alert* Dark Souls has a version of Yurt! within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; If you played Demon's Souls, then you probably remember Yurt the Silent Chief, an assassin who can be freed from ...

Legendary...Nuff Said

*Spoiler Alert* Dark Souls has a version of Yurt!

If you played Demon's Souls, then you probably remember Yurt the Silent Chief, an assassin who can be freed from his cage in the Tower of Latria (3-2). However, once he was freed, he slowly killed off NPCs in the Nexus.

Well Dark Souls has another NPC who is "Yurt-Like", named Lotrec. He will do you harm by disabling the bonfire at Firelink Shrine, which acts as a hub of sorts and is very useful. He can be found locked away in his cell in the Undead Church. If you kill him he drops 5 Humanity and the Ring of Divine Protection and Favor, which will increase your HP, Stamina, and Equipment Burden. So yeah, if and when you come across him, do yourself a favor and kill the bastard. He has heavy armor, but has quick attacks and can eat up your HP pretty quickly.

Thanks to EpicNameBro on Youtube for creating a video where I found the information for this. He has a series of Dark Souls videos that I suggest you check out if you want to see some gameplay or get some tips before the game releases in only 3 days.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Kiwi Defender

Not surprising at all. I'm sure we'll find people like Thomas, Freke, the Old Maiden, etc.

Will be fun to kill this one, though.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

i love twists like this in games.

Sig by: DaRe_xLw Avy by: Dsluckay

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Not surprising at all. I'm sure we'll find people like Thomas, Freke, the Old Maiden, etc.

Will be fun to kill this one, though.
    I'm not sure if there is anybody like Stockpile Thomas because from what I've seen I don't think they have a capped inventory. However, I know there are at least a few different people who can teach you spells.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Will try to find this guy and kick his ass and get his loot

The Temple of the King

LOL, this guys a pain in the butt like Yurt.

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I'm not sure if there is anybody like Stockpile Thomas because from what I've seen I don't think they have a capped inventory. However, I know there are at least a few different people who can teach you spells.
    There is no equivalent to Stockpile Thomas, but mostly just because it's unnecessary. In addition to letting you store and retrieve items, you can also repair equipment, upgrade equipment, and do the same for weapons too by use of items. There IS a weaponsmith, but after you get the items, you don't need him unless you want to do a special upgrade or buy something.

KCCO!

Good information JackAttack. I'll certainly be on the lookout for this asshole.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Update!

If you don't kill or attack Lotrec, you can get his armor, however, it's at a cost. Lotrec will end up killing an important NPC, who will then drop a red stone that you can use to invade Lotrec. Once you kill him, you'll be sent back to your world and you can find his armor along the corner in the "Princess Castle".

Source: One of the top comments on the video posted above, who got it from the Mini-Guide found in the CE of Dark Souls.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

So now I'm curious. Would it be better to receive the +5 Humanity and the Ring of Divine Protection and Favor, or to have the NPC be killed and receive the armor? No stats were given for the armor, so I don't know if it would be beneficial in any way to lose the important NPC to gain the armor and abandon the +Humanity and the Ring. I haven't played Demon Souls and I don't have Dark Souls (yet), but do plan to get Dark Souls very soon.

PRO Member

Uh, I wouldn't kill him. From what I've seen so far in the game he isn't hostile. Sure he may have a grudge against a certain unkown NPC that we haven't seen yet. But did you know that for EVERY NPC that you manage to save, if you can't find anyone online to help you in a boss battle he's one of the NPC's who you can summon and help you?

He's quite baddass in combat, he helped me kill the Belfry Gargoyles with ease AND the...well to keep it spoiler free....thing in the depths.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Q-werty_99 View Post
    So now I'm curious. Would it be better to receive the +5 Humanity and the Ring of Divine Protection and Favor, or to have the NPC be killed and receive the armor? No stats were given for the armor, so I don't know if it would be beneficial in any way to lose the important NPC to gain the armor and abandon the +Humanity and the Ring. I haven't played Demon Souls and I don't have Dark Souls (yet), but do plan to get Dark Souls very soon.
    Personally, I'd kill him and get the ring and humanity. It's a much better reward, and you won't lose an important NPC as well as access to Firelink Shrine's bonfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Majinki View Post
    Uh, I wouldn't kill him. From what I've seen so far in the game he isn't hostile. Sure he may have a grudge against a certain unkown NPC that we haven't seen yet. But did you know that for EVERY NPC that you manage to save, if you can't find anyone online to help you in a boss battle he's one of the NPC's who you can summon and help you?

He's quite baddass in combat, he helped me kill the Belfry Gargoyles with ease AND the...well to keep it spoiler free....thing in the depths.
    I think you might be mistaken. Are you thinking about Solaire of Astora? Solaire is the NPC who assists you in defeating the Gargoyles, not Lotrec. I don't believe Lotrec will do you any good if you keep him around, except you can then get his armor.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

It's my understanding that the Firelink Shrine bonfire is a rather pivotal one, which would be better served remaining open to access. Thanks for the input everybody! I'm super fired up to play this game..., can't wait to actually pick it up!!!!!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack
    I think you might be mistaken. Are you thinking about Solaire of Astora? Solaire is the NPC who assists you in defeating the Gargoyles, not Lotrec. I don't believe Lotrec will do you any good if you keep him around, except you can then get his armor.
    I'm not mistaken because they both faught with me in that fight. Unless you've played the game dude it's hard to comment on stuff that you are saying that people who have the game have seen.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

From the looks of his combat style, I can safely say, He will rape you if he gets to close.

Bob 'n' Becca

Quote Originally Posted by skinner49 View Post
    LOL, this guys a pain in the butt like Yurt.
    Yurt was no threat. Just poison him or jump in a cage immediately, and watch him suicide. Lol. I doubt this guy will be as easy to kill.

I hate options like this. Lol. Now, I know i'll be having multiple playthroughs.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Legendary...Nuff Said

Well I'm kind of SOL now. I attacked him, and was only able to get his health down to about 50% before he killed me. He was tough as hell, as you can't get a hit on the guy without him getting you back. His heavy armor means you won't be able to stagger him, so he's a real pain in the ass. If you can, try to parry/riposte his attacks and try to get a backstab in there; it'll really help you out.

I'm not sure what I can do now. He might've already started to wreck his havoc, and I dunno if I can get the ring and humanity now. Basically, I screwed myself over.

Hopefully you guys will learn from my own mistakes. Bring a ranged weapon such as a spear to attack him from afar without him hitting you. Also note that he can do a significant amount of damage to you even if your shield is up. Try to dodge/roll away from his attacks, rather than trying to block them. Best of luck to you.

EDIT:

Well I decided to go back to the Undead Church, just to check if he was still there or not. Well I'm glad I did, because he was standing there waiting for me by his cell. I had drastically improved my stats since my first encounter with him, and I also as wielding the Drake Sword like a boss, which did some massive damage.

My main strategy for defeating him was to lure him out into the courtyard to the right of where you fought that Tower Knight-esque boss. There's a lot of room to maneuver here, and it's vital that you keep your distance from him. Once in the courtyard, I stayed back away from him and waiting for him to do a roll towards me. Since it takes him a lot of time to roll, I was able to get a shot in there each time he did it. Don't get greedy and try to pull off multiple hits on the guy, you'll run low on stamina and he'll rip you to shreds.

I was able to defeat him in only about 3-5 minutes with the Drake Sword and a STR stat of 20. Will vary depending on the weapon you use and your stats.

He did drop the ring and humanity, which is damn useful as I now have 9 total Humanity at the moment, and the ring makes my HP bar pretty ginormous with my Vitality upgrades.
    Last edited by JackAttack; 10-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yeah, I killed him Mostly I just stayed out of his way. Hit him with a few firebombs and as JackAttack recommended, let him roll at me and then took a swing with my drake sword. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I killed him for that ring as well. He was pretty easy, fought him on the stairs in front of his cell. He didn't really try to attack me, just rolled at me so I was able to hit him with a jump stab with the drake sword. Four hits and he was done. And that ring made the boss fight a lot easier.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Well I'm kind of SOL now. I attacked him, and was only able to get his health down to about 50% before he killed me. He was tough as hell, as you can't get a hit on the guy without him getting you back. His heavy armor means you won't be able to stagger him, so he's a real pain in the ass. If you can, try to parry/riposte his attacks and try to get a backstab in there; it'll really help you out.

I'm not sure what I can do now. He might've already started to wreck his havoc, and I dunno if I can get the ring and humanity now. Basically, I screwed myself over.

Hopefully you guys will learn from my own mistakes. Bring a ranged weapon such as a spear to attack him from afar without him hitting you. Also note that he can do a significant amount of damage to you even if your shield is up. Try to dodge/roll away from his attacks, rather than trying to block them. Best of luck to you.

EDIT:

Well I decided to go back to the Undead Church, just to check if he was still there or not. Well I'm glad I did, because he was standing there waiting for me by his cell. I had drastically improved my stats since my first encounter with him, and I also as wielding the Drake Sword like a boss, which did some massive damage.

My main strategy for defeating him was to lure him out into the courtyard to the right of where you fought that Tower Knight-esque boss. There's a lot of room to maneuver here, and it's vital that you keep your distance from him. Once in the courtyard, I stayed back away from him and waiting for him to do a roll towards me. Since it takes him a lot of time to roll, I was able to get a shot in there each time he did it. Don't get greedy and try to pull off multiple hits on the guy, you'll run low on stamina and he'll rip you to shreds.

I was able to defeat him in only about 3-5 minutes with the Drake Sword and a STR stat of 20. Will vary depending on the weapon you use and your stats.

He did drop the ring and humanity, which is damn useful as I now have 9 total Humanity at the moment, and the ring makes my HP bar pretty ginormous with my Vitality upgrades.
    I noticed you mentioned the shield. Surprisingly, even with a shield that has 100% Physical Damage Reduction, he can still cause damage so I suspect his weapons are enchanted or something. As you say, the best strategy is to probably dodge his attacks and wait until he does his roll. Since he has heavy armour he takes a while getting up. That's where you can get 1-2 good hits in. As you say, in a game like Dark Souls, it's not wise to over-commit and try to button mash as that'll just deplete your stamina and leave you open to attack. Just dodge, wait for the opportunity, get 1-2 good hits, rinse and repeat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast