Tips for successful coop play (requested, not given)

This is a discussion on Tips for successful coop play (requested, not given) within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; I'm usually more of an offline player and online related trophies always trouble me (and are often a reason for ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Tips for successful coop play (requested, not given)

I'm usually more of an offline player and online related trophies always trouble me (and are often a reason for me to avoid a game) but I tried out some Dark Souls multiplayer because in my opinion it's implemented in quite unique way compared to other games. While I found out pretty early that I suck in PvP I found the coop mode incredibly awesome.

I first succeeded in establishing a coop session in Sen's Fortress when I placed my white stone sign on the stairs left to the straight way to the tower knight (the stairs that lead up to the boss fight). I think that was my third try or so and it worked after about five minutes. Wow that was a great feeling to finish a boss with a partner and I got 60k souls for that golem. I assume I slipped in a NG+, however the golem was as easy as previously and the souls where more than enough for two level ups. For that amoun of souls I'd have to grind for half an hour otherwise. Since then I've tried to place my summon sign in various places from the bonfire on the roof to the boss area waiting between 5 and 30 minutes (right now I'm waiting since at least 45 minutes), sometimes quitting and reloading the game to cycle the servers but I never was successful again.

Apart from the big fun and the many easy earned souls I'd also like at least a second successful coop session to reduce the amount of required faith for a certain covenant to 15. I'm now level 78 and that means players between leve 62 and 96 should be able to summon me (10 levels + 10% of player level up and down). That's quite a big range and should suit some players from NG and many from NG+ and possibly even NG++ that are currently in Sen's Fortress with the boss undefeated, but I never succeeded in establishing a connection again.

I wonder do you have any suggestions how to increase the chances for coop play? Any particular bosses where summons are requested frequently or spots for putting the summon sign that increase the chance the player is chosen to be summoned? Any other tips or helpful info?

Additionally info (in case you don't know)
    - you can be summoned either hollow or human
    - summoner must be human and not have placed a summon sign (I believe also the boss in the area mustn't be defeated by the summoner in order to be able to summon)

EDIT: I just waited another 45 minutes while reading through the Dark Souls wiki and I got summoned! Now I was able to join the covenant at the sunlight altar. Still I'd like to play some more coop sessions.
    Last edited by i667090375202107; 12-23-2012 at 01:47 PM.

KCCO!

I think random summoning is dying in this game; that's just my opinion. The game has become easy for most people, and I think most people that are playing it now have friends that they know that are helping them through the game. From the little bit I've tried to play recently, I don't think the coop community is anywhere near as robust as it used to be when this game was first released. Also, Sen's isn't a particularly good place compared to other boss fights, most notably Smough and Ornstein and the Four Kings. Even though bosses, though, probably pose little threat to players nowadays.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Thanks, I managed to get some more summons later on and most easily at the Smough and Ornstein fight. Right now I'm having the opposite problem. I made a new character (str/fai based) and need some support for the S&O fight on NG+ so that Solaire survives if possible. I've been waiting in the hall in front of the boss fight for over half an hour approx. quitting and reloading the game 20 times, no summon sign to be seen anywhere (apart from Solaire). It's Sunday afternoon in Europe and there should be enough people playing. Also my current lvl 116 means people between ca. lvl 100 and ca. level 140 will be able to get summoned by me. That range should cover most people's lvl on NG+ in Arno Londo. During the time I waited for a summon sign I've got invaded three times (and quit the game each time via the PS menu because I'm not interested in PvP), so there's no cause like a bad internet connection from my PS3.

Aaaargh, that is reallying annoying me. Hopefully they'll fix those problems for DS2 and hopefully they'll also distinguish between PvP and Coop better so that people are actually matched up for what they want to do.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Ok I feel really stupid right now. I just died (fighting alone with Solaire) and started again from the Arno Londo bonfire. Turns out that apparently no one puts their summon sign in the hall but rather on the long bridge where the Gargoyle has been previously. Why? Now I have to clear the hall and come back the whole long way. -_-

Lvl 5 - Silver

Is there any way to banish annoying people invading me? Last time I got killed before I managed to quit via the PS menu. Maybe I should just hard reset. God this is a stupid area.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Okay Dark Souls Online Play, you reached the climax of annoyance. A damn 45 minutes I've been trying to summon someone for S&O NG+ fight. Once and only once I found a collection of five (!) summoning signs on the bridge outside. Besides that, nothing at all. I got invaded 8 f***ing times. Seven times escaping through PS menu, probably resulting in a network error message for the invaders which must be a lot of fun for them. The 8th one rushed at me and killed me before I could exit. Probably someone with no friends trying to compensate their loneliness by unfair online play. Being forced to hard quit the game every few minutes because you hassle me to play against players I don't want to play every few minutes really takes the fun out of the game. Great job, Namco, and goodbye Dark Souls.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by i667090375202107 View Post
    Okay Dark Souls Online Play, you reached the climax of annoyance. A damn 45 minutes I've been trying to summon someone for S&O NG+ fight. Once and only once I found a collection of five (!) summoning signs on the bridge outside. Besides that, nothing at all. I got invaded 8 f***ing times. Seven times escaping through PS menu, probably resulting in a network error message for the invaders which must be a lot of fun for them. The 8th one rushed at me and killed me before I could exit. Probably someone with no friends trying to compensate their loneliness by unfair online play. Being forced to hard quit the game every few minutes because you hassle me to play against players I don't want to play every few minutes really takes the fun out of the game. Great job, Namco, and goodbye Dark Souls.
    That's kinda the point of the online play. It's that fear that someone will try to invade you. Either play offline with the NPCs.. or you are online with that worry. I don't remember for Dark souls, but I imagine it, as Demon's Souls did, has a banish miracle or something that you can use for that. Really not sure.

But yeah Dark Souls probably isn't for everyone if they can't deal with the way it works. Just one of those games, but that is a piece that makes it what it is.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay