how hard really?

This is a discussion on how hard really? within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; is this game really as hard as everyone says? at least one person already has platinum after only two weeks ...

Lvl 10 - Platinum

how hard really?

is this game really as hard as everyone says? at least one person already has platinum after only two weeks or so. i didnt find demons souls particularly hard, just need to be careful in new situations and prepare yourself properly to stay alive. same kind of situation here? is it just about proper preparation or is it just super hard and unforgiving?

PRO Member

Certain spots are unforgiving, but as long as you play the game right, with the proper gear and stat point allocations you shouldn't have too much trouble. You're gonna die a lot, it's going to happen.

Legendary...Nuff Said

I think the best comparison is that Dark Souls is very similar to Demon's Souls NG+ in terms of difficulty. With the right equipment, it's not too bad. The beginning can be pretty unforgiving, but once you level up the game actually gets easier, until you move onto areas with higher-level enemies. Basically, there's a constant challenge, but if you wander back into older areas, you can one-shot most enemies with ease.

As long as you take your time, keep your shield up, etc, you'll be alright. I'd suggest getting a bow or some other form of ranged attack to pull enemies. Facing multiple enemies at once will lead to imminent death, but facing one enemy at a time shouldn't be too bad.

Also as a note, so far the bosses have been much easier to handle, but there are more of them in the form of mini-bosses. For instance, I've faced 7-8 total bosses within only 3-4 areas, but none have been too difficult to handle. The most amount of tries it's taken me to defeat a boss thus far is only 5, which is much less when compared to attempting to defeat the False King in Demon's Souls.

All in all, it's difficult and extremely harsh. Hell, find yourself cursed and you could potentially have your health bar down to only 1/8 of it's normal size. With that said, the difficulty makes it fun, and unlike many games nowadays, it offers up a real challenge with real risks.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

PRO Member

This game is difficult, IMO more difficult than Demon's Souls. But this is not a bad thing, it is a fun and rewarding challenge. I can only think of one fight that can be seen as unfair. The Capra Demon which involves in getting to the correct spot in a small area before you get slaughtered. The only unfair death I had was going down a ladder and immediately being mauled by 2 red dogs. (Blighttown)

No matter... I'm addicted to the game and I have so much more to explore.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Id say its more difficult than demon's Souls cause I can run through demon's souls and not die once but in this game im dying like every 15-20 minutes lol.

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

PRO Member

Also, not sure if it's the shield I'm using but I've tried several. It is more difficult to parry in this game. But I want the extra souls! So I keep trying.... just some of the enemies have very slow attacks that make the timing tricky.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

so basically the same difficulty as demons souls? preparation is key?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    Yes, be prepared... take new areas slowly. But, like I said, I think it is more difficlut that Demon's Souls. I think the enemies in Dark Souls are more likely to surround you and attack, where as Demon's Souls that wasn't a problem as much. I find my self trying to lure enemies out one at a time moreso in Dark Souls.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    No, it's much more difficult than Demon's Souls, but yeah if you take your time and proceed with care you'll make your life much easier.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i always prepare myself for new situations, especially since playing demons souls

Nope, nothing

I also think this is harder than Demon's Souls...which I think is a brilliant thing as most of the people who have bought it will have done DS so it makes sense to up the game.

The "freeroam" feel to the game also makes it harder as well but once again it's a good thing, I like the fact I get a boss and I'm shown that I'm clearly not ready for it and I move on, then come back later and eventually beat it...great sense of achievement there

Regional Manager of War

Whenever I buy this game Im playing on my own with no guides or wiki because that made my Demon Souls experience a joke. Once I got a 5+ Dragon Claymore and a 5+ crushing knight sword with my str build the game was a joke. This time around christmas Im playing Dark Souls solo with no help

Lvl 1 - Bronze

IT is most defiantly harder than demon souls, still i love what they did with the freeroam and trowing more bosses, i went to wrong areas a couple of times until i figured thats not the way to go.
    So far im loing it even more than i loved demon souls and i still only have ranged the 2 bells

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The later areas i think could singlehandedly get people to give up and turn in their chips. Tomb of the giants and Izalith are no bueno

PRO Member

I thought this was harder than Demon's Souls at first, but when you learn how the game works I think it's definitively easier. You might die more but you don't have to backtrack a whole dungeon if you do.

Also Pyromancy is overpowered. It makes even NG+ bosses a joke, iron flesh and spam spells

Huge Gaming Backlog

Everyone is saying it's harder than Demons Souls. I was thinking it wasn't to bad. I've only just beaten Quelaag on my first playthrough so I don't no about the later stages yet. That's where it must get difficult.
    The bonfire idea made it easier I thought. Not like Demons Souls where you can play for two hours, die and end up back at the start.