Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

How not to be a n00b at Dark Souls PvP

This is a discussion on How not to be a n00b at Dark Souls PvP within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; Currently, Dark Souls PvP is filled to the brim with n00bish players who like to use cheap methods in order ...

  1. #1
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    How not to be a n00b at Dark Souls PvP

    Currently, Dark Souls PvP is filled to the brim with n00bish players who like to use cheap methods in order to win duels. Well if you're one of those people, then this is especially aimed at you and how you can improve and become a respectful player who can also pwn people.

    Don't ever use cheap tricks. Most n00bs like to use things such as Tranquil Walk of Peace to slow you down and get easy backstabs, or they'll spam Great Combustion or Wrath of Gods in your face for easy kills. Don't be one of those people. Use your weapons, and possibly other things such as miracles that can enhance your weapon (such as Magic Sword, Darkmoon Blade, etc.) and nothing more. If you're a mage, use your spells, but don't resort to cheap things such as the aforementioned stuff that n00bs love to use.

    Don't heal yourself, even after the duel is over and you've won. Healing, commonly referred to as Flask Chugging in PvP, is not allowed in a duel unless you wanna be a n00b. Be courteous to your opponent, and make it so the best man truly wins. If you have health low, don't run the hell away to try to heal, it's n00bish and definitely not cool since as a human, you gain the upper hand as you can heal while your invader can't. Healing un-levels the playing field and makes dueling unfair. Also, after you have won your duel, do not heal yourself until you are sure that person has been fully sent back to their world. It's simply just a nice thing to do.

    Always bow. Before your fight starts to ensue, be sure to bow to your opponent. If he's equally courteous, he will bow back. If he's a n00b, he'll just run and start attacking you while you bow. Either way, always bow, and after you've won your duel, bow again. If you want to go the extra mile, drop a Prism Stone where you defeated them, which emits a warm glow and will make your opponent feel more comfortable with their loss.

    Be aware of your surroundings. Many times, skilled players will want to fight you in precarious places where it's easy to fall off and die. Be careful when here, and use the items at your disposal. If you're someone who uses miracles and has Force on you, use it to push your opponent off the edge. Also be aware of places such as the Blighttown swamp where you can get poisoned and can't move as quickly.

    Know your opponent's playstyle and weapon selection. There are generally three different playstyles, or builds that people use. There are tanks, dexterity builds, and casters. Tanks will generally try to use very good armor and huge, powerful weapons. Dexterity builds will generally use light armors so that they can have great speed to get behind you for backstabs. Their weapons generally compose of katanas and daggers, which scale with DEX and often inflict bleeding. Casters are generally easy opponents as most spells can be dodged, however they're dangerous as if not dodged, most spells used by high-level mages can one-shot you. Try to come prepared for any of the builds with your own build. For tanks, bring a weapon such as the shotel, as it bypasses shields and is useful since many tanks are shield-turtles. For DEX builds, have light armor so as to be able to dodge most of their attacks, but bring a powerful sword to take advantage of their weak poise. For casters, bring a magic resistant shield such as the Crest Shield in order to block their attacks if you happen to slip up and not dodge them. All of these things can be brought with you to a fight, although it may be easier to develop a build of your own and exploit their weaknesses with your own strengths.

    Don't use other enemies to your advantage. Many times when invaders are outnumbered or are about to die, they tend to attempt to flee and have you follow them, leading you to enemies within the level that you haven't killed yet. This is probably the most n00bish and unfair thing to do, as the person will have to fend off both regular enemies, as well as yourself. If you accidentally aggro an enemy, let your opponent finish them off before fighting them.

    When you outnumber your opponent, only have one person attack at a time. It's not uncommon that someone will summon another for PvP purposes in order to gain the upper hand on invaders, as they have greater numbers. If you do decide to summon a friend for PvP, don't gang-bang your invader. Send off your helper to fight them in a 1v1 battle, and if your invader wins, then attack him yourself. Allow him to heal if he has any healing miracles before fighting him, however.

    Hopefully, you guys reading this will slightly lower the amount of people who are complete n00bs at this game and play without respect. In Demon's Souls, the things above were done by everyone in PvP, no questions asked. Unfortunately, the majority of the people in Dark Souls are not as respectful. These simple rules and guidelines will make PvP more fair and much more fun for everyone.

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  2. #2
    Click-Click-Kaboom
    Il_WidowmakeR_Il's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Roanoke Virginia
    Posts
    298
    Reputation
    22

    Nice read and thanks for the info.

    PSN- Il_WidowmakeR_Il



  3. #3
    Gorilla see, Gorilla do
    Creditdue's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    $crilla Villa
    Posts
    1,780
    Reputation
    62

    I've only been in 1 duel. Before I even knew what was going on I was stabbed in the back and killed. I suck at this game


    Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

  4. #4
    Nope, nothing
    Chambers35's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,674
    Reputation
    462

    Well I agree with some points in this Jack but not with most of it.

    If I'm playing the game and someone invades my world...why would I want to be nice to this person? They just invaded to kill me and make me lose my Souls

    The bowing thing, I understand this and I've bowed to many people who have invaded my world...did they bow back? No they damn didn't, they just ran up and heavy attacked me lol. Does that make them a 'n00b'? No it doesn't, they came to kill me and they are doing their job.

    The games called 'Dark Souls', not 'Dark Souls but still with a nice side to my personality'.

    Using cheap spells can be annoying, I totally agree with this

    Does me wanting to kill my invader in a brutal way as payback for trying to kill my character make me a 'n00b'? In the eyes of the people that use these tips that is?

    Meh, I don't mind, I will just be the one who wins...
    Last edited by Chambers35; 11-28-2011 at 04:22 PM.

  5. #5
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Well I agree with some points in this Jack but not with most of it.

    If I'm playing the game and someone invades my world...why would I want to be nice to this person? They just invaded to kill me and make me lose my Souls

    The bowing thing, I understand this and I've bowed to many people who have invaded my world...did they bow back? No they damn didn't, they just ran up and heavy attacked me lol. Does that make them a 'n00b'? No it doesn't, they came to kill me and they are doing their job.

    The games called 'Dark Souls', not 'Dark Souls but still with a nice side to my personality'.

    Using cheap spells can be annoying, I totally agree with this

    Does me wanting to kill my invader in a brutal way as payback for trying to kill my character make me a 'n00b'? In the eyes of the people that use these tips that is?

    Meh, I don't mind, I will just be the one who wins...
    I think this is a simple misconception of the multiplayer. It's not like CoD where you spray your bullets in every which direction and don't care who you kill. In Dark Souls, people don't invade with the sole purpose of killing you to get Humanity/souls, they invade to have a jolly time in the multiplayer aspect of the game. In other words, Dark Souls online is much more... Professional than most games, which is why people bow, etc.

    The reason you should ALWAYS bow, is because just because your opponent doesn't bow and starts attacking you doesn't give YOU an excuse to not be respectful. If you don't bow and attack them right away, that makes you no more respectful than the other guy.

    When you say that you want to kill someone as payback, you're missing the point of the multiplayer. It's supposed to be fun, enjoyable, but also highly respectful with players that treat each other as equals. The cheap players don't do these things, and they're no fun to play against and ruin the whole online component, hence why I made this thread.

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  6. #6
    Nope, nothing
    Chambers35's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,674
    Reputation
    462

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I think this is a simple misconception of the multiplayer. It's not like CoD where you spray your bullets in every which direction and don't care who you kill. In Dark Souls, people don't invade with the sole purpose of killing you to get Humanity/souls, they invade to have a jolly time in the multiplayer aspect of the game. In other words, Dark Souls online is much more... Professional than most games, which is why people bow, etc.

    The reason you should ALWAYS bow, is because just because your opponent doesn't bow and starts attacking you doesn't give YOU an excuse to not be respectful. If you don't bow and attack them right away, that makes you no more respectful than the other guy.

    When you say that you want to kill someone as payback, you're missing the point of the multiplayer. It's supposed to be fun, enjoyable, but also highly respectful with players that treat each other as equals. The cheap players don't do these things, and they're no fun to play against and ruin the whole online component, hence why I made this thread.
    I still think most people invade to kill that person, not to test who has the best etiquette.

    And I understand some people take games more seriously than others but it's still a game at the end of the day, I have yet to meet an invader who bowed, so I think it's a select few that play it like it's a "professional" game.

    Oh I totally get the point of multiplayer, maybe I just don't go into it as much as you.
    Hell maybe I also play the game professionally, when I see some guy invade my world I immediately see this guy as a threat and want to kill him before he even has a chance to give me a friendly wave

  7. #7
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    I still think most people invade to kill that person, not to test who has the best etiquette.

    And I understand some people take games more seriously than others but it's still a game at the end of the day, I have yet to meet an invader who bowed, so I think it's a select few that play it like it's a "professional" game.

    Oh I totally get the point of multiplayer, maybe I just don't go into it as much as you.
    Hell maybe I also play the game professionally, when I see some guy invade my world I immediately see this guy as a threat and want to kill him before he even has a chance to give me a friendly wave
    Well of course people invade to kill, but how they go upon doing that isn't really what it should be. Cheap players ruin the experience as much as "n00b-tubers" do in CoD. It's just that these things weren't an issue in Demon's Souls, yet they are here. Pretty lame, really.

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  8. #8
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    It's just that these things weren't an issue in Demon's Souls, yet they are here. Pretty lame, really.
    You obviously never really played DS online, because there were a lot of cheap-ass bastards there too. Maybe you should've spent less time playing alone and offline and you'd know this lol.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  9. #9
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    skidmarkgn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    621
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I think this is a simple misconception of the multiplayer. It's not like CoD where you spray your bullets in every which direction and don't care who you kill. In Dark Souls, people don't invade with the sole purpose of killing you to get Humanity/souls, they invade to have a jolly time in the multiplayer aspect of the game. In other words, Dark Souls online is much more... Professional than most games, which is why people bow, etc.

    The reason you should ALWAYS bow, is because just because your opponent doesn't bow and starts attacking you doesn't give YOU an excuse to not be respectful. If you don't bow and attack them right away, that makes you no more respectful than the other guy.

    When you say that you want to kill someone as payback, you're missing the point of the multiplayer. It's supposed to be fun, enjoyable, but also highly respectful with players that treat each other as equals. The cheap players don't do these things, and they're no fun to play against and ruin the whole online component, hence why I made this thread.
    I have to respectfully disagree with pretty much everything you said here. So far my experience with Dark Souls is that people do actually invade you for the sole purpose of killing you by any means necessary. If they wanted to "have a jolly ole time" then they would be trying to be summoned as a partner instead of an invader.
    Every time I've been invaded, the invading player sprints to the area with the toughest enemies and stays put to get the advantage. If I have 2 people w/me then I see it as a fair fight, and that view won't change until the enemies are hostile to the invading player.
    Lastly if someone chooses not to bow to me when they invade, then I have no responsibility to bow to them. I appreciate that you choose to put Dark Souls on another level when it comes to what should be done but the reality is it's just a game, and 99% of the multiplaying population treats it as such.

  10. #10
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    You obviously never really played DS online, because there were a lot of cheap-ass bastards there too. Maybe you should've spent less time playing alone and offline and you'd know this lol.
    I dunno, I think people are generally much less respectful in DkS than in DS. There will always be cheap players, but the amount of them is drastically different.

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmarkgn View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with pretty much everything you said here. So far my experience with Dark Souls is that people do actually invade you for the sole purpose of killing you by any means necessary. If they wanted to "have a jolly ole time" then they would be trying to be summoned as a partner instead of an invader.
    Every time I've been invaded, the invading player sprints to the area with the toughest enemies and stays put to get the advantage. If I have 2 people w/me then I see it as a fair fight, and that view won't change until the enemies are hostile to the invading player.
    Lastly if someone chooses not to bow to me when they invade, then I have no responsibility to bow to them. I appreciate that you choose to put Dark Souls on another level when it comes to what should be done but the reality is it's just a game, and 99% of the multiplaying population treats it as such.
    Well that's exactly my point. There are way too many people that aren't respectful, courteous, etc.

    I understand this is just a game, but why does that mean that you can't just do a simple bow before a match. The point I'm making with bowing is that just because your opponent is a cheap player doesn't mean you can't respect him by giving him a bow.

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  11. #11
    Nope, nothing
    Chambers35's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,674
    Reputation
    462

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I understand this is just a game, but why does that mean that you can't just do a simple bow before a match. The point I'm making with bowing is that just because your opponent is a cheap player doesn't mean you can't respect him by giving him a bow.
    So you would potentially be killed by an invader just because you wanted to bow, even though they didn't and had no intention to do so? See to me that makes you the n00b, doesn't it?

  12. #12
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I dunno, I think people are generally much less respectful in DkS than in DS. There will always be cheap players, but the amount of them is drastically different.
    That's what you think because you never really played DS online and because when you did, it was less than a few months time from DkS's release, meaning there weren't as many players as before.

    The amount of "assholes" who play DkS is as big as the ones that played DS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    So you would potentially be killed by an invader just because you wanted to bow, even though they didn't and had no intention to do so? See to me that makes you the n00b, doesn't it?
    That's because he is a n00b who poses as a good player .

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  13. #13
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    skidmarkgn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    621
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I dunno, I think people are generally much less respectful in DkS than in DS. There will always be cheap players, but the amount of them is drastically different.



    Well that's exactly my point. There are way too many people that aren't respectful, courteous, etc.

    I understand this is just a game, but why does that mean that you can't just do a simple bow before a match. The point I'm making with bowing is that just because your opponent is a cheap player doesn't mean you can't respect him by giving him a bow.
    I just can't separate Dark Souls from any other game where people spam stupid crap in multiplayer. No matter what game I'm playing I'm not going to give my respect to someone who doesn't deserve it, an ass-clown who acts like an ass-clown while playing Dark Souls is no different than an ass-clown who acts like an ass-clown while playing CoD.
    If a person invades me and immediately bows then, and only then, I'll bow back. I guess I'm stingy with my respect.

  14. #14
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    So you would potentially be killed by an invader just because you wanted to bow, even though they didn't and had no intention to do so? See to me that makes you the n00b, doesn't it?
    No, there's nothing n00bish about bowing. It just means that I'll retain respect throughout, no matter who I'm up against, if he wants to attempt to kill me while I'm bowing, than so be it, I'll just kick his ass once I'm finished.

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmarkgn View Post
    I just can't separate Dark Souls from any other game where people spam stupid crap in multiplayer. No matter what game I'm playing I'm not going to give my respect to someone who doesn't deserve it, an ass-clown who acts like an ass-clown while playing Dark Souls is no different than an ass-clown who acts like an ass-clown while playing CoD.
    If a person invades me and immediately bows then, and only then, I'll bow back. I guess I'm stingy with my respect.
    To each his own, then.

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  15. #15
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    No, there's nothing n00bish about bowing. It just means that I'll retain respect throughout, no matter who I'm up against, if he wants to attempt to kill me while I'm bowing, than so be it, I'll just kick his ass once I'm finished.
    Specially you, who keeps moaning about cheap players in the ChatBox.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  16. #16
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Specially you, who keeps moaning about cheap players in the ChatBox.
    Actually I was just moaning about the lag in the MP that allowed me to get backstabbed while I was behind my opponent, if that's what you're referring to right now. Although yes, cheap players are annoying as hell, hence why I made this thread. :stare:

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  17. #17
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Actually I was just moaning about the lag in the MP that allowed me to get backstabbed while I was behind my opponent, if that's what you're referring to right now. Although yes, cheap players are annoying as hell, hence why I made this thread. :stare:
    I recall more than "lag". I recall you being mad at them using cheap spells and gangbanging you with the help of the nearby monsters lol.

    Yeah, cheap players, which aren't the same as "n00bs".

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  18. #18
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I recall more than "lag". I recall you being mad at them using cheap spells and gangbanging you with the help of the nearby monsters lol.

    Yeah, cheap players, which aren't the same as "n00bs".
    I dunno, I've played so many PvP matches that it's difficult to remember specific ones lol. I have been gang-banged with the help of nearby enemies more than once.

    And we've already been over the whole "cheap ≠ n00b" thing... Twice. :stare:

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  19. #19
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I dunno, I've played so many PvP matches that it's difficult to remember specific ones lol. I have been gang-banged with the help of nearby enemies more than once.

    And we've already been over the whole "cheap ≠ n00b" thing... Twice. :stare:
    Yes, and for the third time, being a n00b isn't the same as being cheap.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  20. #20
    Lvl 1 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7
    Reputation
    0

    Wow dude what a bunch of haters. I'm sure you all know what he means by bowing and the such yet you criticize him. And to tell me you haven't ever seen someone bow when they invade is straight BS. I have invaders bow at me almost every single match unless I have a friend with me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO