Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PvP Input for upcoming build

This is a discussion on PvP Input for upcoming build within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; Alright guys, I will be getting this game when I get back to the states in less than 10 days, ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

PvP Input for upcoming build

Alright guys, I will be getting this game when I get back to the states in less than 10 days, that being said I would like to know what I am building as far as a character is concerned when I get back, and being as I have never played this game I am going to need some help, this is a setup for a PVP only type character, not PvE, going for a SL 120 setup, will build other chars after I finish this one

The two builds I have looked... (Open to more input)

Pyro Melee build, using melee wep backed by Pyro magic (mainly fireball and flame toss)
    Ability to Melee and cast pyro

Faith Melee build, using melee wep backed by Faith magic (mainly Gods wrath)
    CMW and melee

This being said I need to know what types of gear is best suited (wand/talisman, armor, helmet, shield, etc), as well as what types of weapons I should be looking at for not only casting, but also melee

Also I am curious as to what a baseline stat setup would be, I am assuming 40 endurance still, a decent amount of VIT, and cram the rest into Faith/Dex or Magic/Dex dependent upon pyro/faith build

Weapons I have been looking at

Variations of the Uchigatana (Lightning, Fire, Etc.)
    Lucerne (This is what I used in DS, although I'm not sure it will work in this case due to needing shields and low stat bonus)
    Variations of the Darksword
    Variations of the Spear
    Murakumo
    For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are...
    and to the dust we shall return

Signature By Deja View Sigs: jondeere

KCCO!

We were all wondering what happened to you!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

haha I left the country for training for my job, I'll be back in the states with a solid internet connection in 10 days or less

Lvl 3 - Bronze

One interesting build i saw was a armor of thorns/great combustion build. With the armor of thorns you equip the dark wood ring and ninja flip into people, and that hit stuns them and gives you a window for great combustion

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I would absolutely recommend the Murakumo for PvP. I used a fire one myself for awhile and it ruined days. The Server is also equally as sick.

As for armor it really comes down to you looking at the different types yourself. There are a lot of types to choose from.

Also there are items that are cool if you want to use sorcery and miracles without leveling both stats. The velkas talisman casts miracles but scales with your intelligence and the darkmoon catalyst casts spells but scales with faith. So you can choose one or the other. Pyromancies can literally be used by any build without leveling anything up because there damage isn't connected to any stat (the chaos spells are connected to humanity I believe).
    \

I personally like to have a couple shields at my disposal for pvp due to different types of damage. Black knight for fire, effigy shield for lightning, crest shield for magic. If you don't mind the weight, the greatshield of artorias is a beast when you upgrade it to +5

Legendary...Nuff Said

Oh my god, it's that guy who Helyx always talks about!

Dude, I need to play you in DS sometime so that you can kick my ass.

Anyway, as far as a build goes, I've personally had A LOT of success with a magic-based build. A high-level mage can one-shot most opponents with spells such as Homing Crystal Soulmass, but if you also up your DEX and STR enough, using CMW with the Tin Crystallization Catalyst can add up to 600 magic damage points to your weapon, which is an incredible buff.

If you're looking for a FAI/STR build, don't use Wrath of the Gods, it's cheap, albeit effective.

As an added note, Pyromancy is NOT effected by the INT stat, so if you're looking for a Pyro build, don't up your INT. The power of your Pyromancy is effected by how much you upgrade your "Pyro Glove". I have, however, found that Pyro PvP builds are not very effective. While spell damage is very high with an ugraded Pyro Glove, the spells are generally very easy to dodge, and the casting time usually leaves you open for easy backstabs. The difference between this, and say sorcery, is that sorceries have a longer casting time, but if you're able to get off a Homing Crystal Soulmass, you can one shot opponents who try to circle behind for backstabs.

So far, the guys who have given me the most headaches are DEX builds and STR/END builds. DEX builds can 1-shot someone with 1,000+ HP with a Bandit's Knife +15 and a backstab.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be an insane player with any build you choose. Hit me up if you wanna play, I've heard many things about you, all pretty amazing.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    So far, the guys who have given me the most headaches are DEX builds and STR/END builds. DEX builds can 1-shot someone with 1,000+ HP with a Bandit's Knife +15 and a backstab.
    What are the STR/DEX based players using as far as weapons? The buffs for these weps, or the ones I'm looking at on the wiki at least, don't even give an S bonus

Guessing the Uchigatana +15 with CMW? Bandits on swap

Rings
    Ring of favour and protection with Dark Wood Grain Ring/Cloranthy Ring

Shield
    Crest shield/Grass crest shield

Also I have never played this game yet, so take that into consideration, was thinking this for stats...

End=40
    Dex=40 (due to higher then 40 dex has a lower scaling effect)
    Res=Base
    Str=14
    Fai=Base
    Vit=most as possible
    Res=Base
    Int=32 (for tin crystalization cat)

Atonement= no idea what this even does

Can someone please explain the parry/critical hit responses in this game? I'm considering a pure bandits knife setup
    Last edited by D3C1MaTi0n; 12-11-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by D3C1MaTi0n View Post
    What are the STR/DEX based players using as far as weapons? The buffs for these weps, or the ones I'm looking at on the wiki at least, don't even give an S bonus

Guessing the Uchigatana +15 with CMW? Bandits on swap

Rings
    Ring of favour and protection with Dark Wood Grain Ring/Cloranthy Ring

Shield
    Crest shield/Grass crest shield

Also I have never played this game yet, so take that into consideration, was thinking this for stats...

End=40
    Dex=40 (due to higher then 40 dex has a lower scaling effect)
    Res=Base
    Str=14
    Fai=Base
    Vit=most as possible
    Res=Base
    Int=32 (for tin crystalization cat)

Atonement= no idea what this even does

Can someone please explain the parry/critical hit responses in this game? I'm considering a pure bandits knife setup
    For STR builds, most people are using weapons such as the Claymore or Zweihander for it's long range and devastating damage. Generally, Ultra-Greatswords are in use for them. As far as DEX builds, I've been seeing an abundance of Uchigatanas, and also quite a few Washing Poles, which is basically an Uchi with less stat scaling, but twice the range. I haven't seen too many DEX builds using CMW, probably because most people don't want to put the points into INT in order to wield the Tin Crystallization Catalyst. However, a DEX-CMW build would probably be devastating.

For rings, I suggest only using the Ring of Favor and Protection in earlier levels, until you've significantly upped your VIT and END. It's pretty useless for PvP, and it takes up one extra ring slot that is definitely needed. The Cloranthy Ring is a good option, as if the Dark Wood Grain Ring (but only if your equip burden is under 50%!). If you're going for a DEX build, the Hornet Ring is pretty amazing, as it doubles the amount of damage you do on critical hits such as backstabs. This will allow you to one-shot opponents with a single backstab.

For shields, the Grass Crest Shield is good, but since its physical damage reduction is not 100%, it's not a good shield for any build other than a pure STR/END/VIT build. It's generally the most useful for people who like to two-hand weapons, as the shield still gives the END boost even on your back. The Crest Shield is very good with its 100% physical damage reduction, and it's great for casters with it's 90% MAG damage reduction. It really depends on your build. DEX builds will want a lighter "medium" shield, while tanks will like to use greatshields. Personally, I think the Bloodshield is great, as it gives a nice bonus to bleeding damage. Most DEX builds will use their weapons to try to make you bleed, which quickly depletes your health. The added bonus is very nice and useful.

Stats look good for a DEX build. Do note that VIT boosts with each level decrease dramatically at 40, so you may want to stop there and pump some more points into other areas. I'd personally move STR up to 16 to have a larger arsenal of weapons that you can use. At 14, you're seriously limiting yourself to a few select weapons, which can make the regular singleplayer portion a pain. Also, Attunement is what decides how many spell slots you have. If you're going for a DEX build with CMW, you only need one ATT slot, meaning you would need to have an ATT of 11. I'd suggest choosing the Wanderer class, as it starts with very high DEX, decent VIT/END, and also 1 ATT slot.

Critical hits are so-so. Backstabs are pretty easy to get and very responsive, but parrying is much more difficult to accomplish due to the horrible lag the multiplayer often times suffers from. A pure Bandit's Knife build would still be a great idea nonetheless, but I wouldn't go for a CMW build with it, as the buff is largely useless with a weapon like a dagger, which does minute damage unless it's critical. If you're looking for a pure Bandit's Knife build, definitely choose the Thief class. They start with the weapon, and it's very hard to come across it in the game otherwise. The only other place you can get one is from a rare drop from a few select enemies.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I've narrowed it for weps

Uchigatana +15 with a dex build
    Claymore +15 with a dex/str build
    Black Knight Sword/Axe +5 with a str build

Still looking into

Reinforced Club/Club
    Washing Pole +15 Dex/Str build
    Black Knight Halberd +5 Str build
    Gravelord Sword +5

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Also another update, it appears that homing crystal soulmass and wrath of gods destroy noobs like no other, I'm wondering if I can gain enough melee damage and incorporate these two miracles, and by noobs I mean people that don't pay attention or know how to play the game, in a real pvp match with a good opponent they can easily dodge these spells

Any ideas?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The following are being considered, after watching A LOT of pvp fights on you tube, remember I have never played this game, so PLEASE give me some feedback, especially with the release of the new patch some of this may have changed and not be as good, or maybe something is better

Example of what I would be going for with a Dex/Str Build, no magic/miracles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlR_AbNMpUk

I will try to find a good example of a mixed build as well, haven't found any good players for that on youtube yet

Starting Class:
    Bandit/Warrior
    SL120 (If lower use different armor set to compensate, and use magic based wep due to lack of stats)

Main Hand:
    +15 Claymore (Str/Dex Build with C Buff) 257 base damage, large reach
    +15 Uchigatana (Dex Build with A Buff) 225 base damage, decent reach
    +5 Black Knight Greataxe (Str Build with B Buff) 319 base damage, large reach
    +15 Great Scythe (Dex Build with A Buff) 250 base damage, large reach

On Swap:
    +15 Bandits Knife (Critical Back Stabs)
    +5 Priscillas Dagger (Stack bleeds for 1/2 life drop)
    Pyro Flame (if I use pyro backup)

Shield:
    +15 Tower Kite Shield

On Swap:
    Oolacile Ivory Catalyst (if I use buffs)
    Tin Crystallization Catalyst (if I use buffs)
    Darkmoon Talisman (if I use miracles)
    +5 Crystal Avelyn

Head:
    +10 Stone Knight Helm
    Mask of Mother
    Mask of Child

Chest:
    +10 Stone Knight Armor

Gloves:
    +10 Elite Knight Gauntlets

Legs:
    +10 Stone Knight Leggings

Ring 1:
    Havel's Ring
    Ring of Favor and Protection
    Red Tearstone Ring (good for archer/low life build)

Ring 2:
    Darkwood Grain Ring

Stats:
    Vitality: 40 - 50
    Attunement: Base (unless I need more slots)
    Endurance: 40
    Strength: Enough to use items, or Max for wep modifier
    Dexterity: Enough to use items, or Max for wep modifier
    Resistance: Base
    Intelligence: Base (unless I go with a buff)
    Faith: Base (unless I go with a faith buff or miracles)

Also I read that advancing Dex/Str over 40 had minimal effects to damage bonus, this may play an important part if I decide to also include miracles or pyro skills, although at this point I feel like a full melee base is best

To Do:
    look into sunlight blade (SLB)
    look into darkmoon blade (DMB)
    look into great magic weapon (GMW)
    look into crystal magic weapon (CMW)
    look into great magic barrier, see if it can void all of the above (GMB)
    Last edited by D3C1MaTi0n; 12-12-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Wrath of the Gods, or "God's Wrath" isn't really a n00b killer, it's an everyone killer lol. It's generally a very cheap tactic to use in PvP, so note that you could receive hatemail for it lol.

Also, don't worry about upgrading your shield, it doesn't receive any defense bonuses from it lol.

Otherwise, I say over-planning a build isn't all too necessary for your first character. Make a "test toon" that you play through the game first to know where to find all items and how well things work, and then make a pure build character.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Already know what I'm making, multiple toons just like in DS, using the setup in the video, its going to be LEGIT

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Wrath of the Gods, or "God's Wrath" isn't really a n00b killer, it's an everyone killer lol. It's generally a very cheap tactic to use in PvP, so note that you could receive hatemail for it lol.

Also, don't worry about upgrading your shield, it doesn't receive any defense bonuses from it lol.

Otherwise, I say over-planning a build isn't all too necessary for your first character. Make a "test toon" that you play through the game first to know where to find all items and how well things work, and then make a pure build character.
    Not true about the shields. You gain more stability so you don't lose your endurance as fast while blocking. That is extremely helpful. I'm surprised you didn't know that already

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by P-BOW View Post
    Not true about the shields. You gain more stability so you don't lose your endurance as fast while blocking. That is extremely helpful. I'm surprised you didn't know that already
    By defensive bonuses I meant like the lightning defense doesn't get upgraded, etc. Besides, it's much easier to just stock up on some Green Blossom for better END regen. If D3C1 is planning on having 40 END, that should be quite enough to do anything. Besides, if he wants to lose less endurance with each hit, you can just use a better shield to begin with, such as a Greatshield of the Greatshield of Artorias. Save yourself the souls, it's really just common sense.

Seems like your one goal is to be out to get me, P-BOW lol.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

ETA 8 days before I have this game and internet, I can't wait!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

By defensive bonuses I meant like the lightning defense doesn't get upgraded, etc. Besides, it's much easier to just stock up on some Green Blossom for better END regen. If D3C1 is planning on having 40 END, that should be quite enough to do anything. Besides, if he wants to lose less endurance with each hit, you can just use a better shield to begin with, such as a Greatshield of the Greatshield of Artorias. Save yourself the souls, it's really just common sense.

Seems like your one goal is to be out to get me, P-BOW lol.
    Not at all out to get you, just giving all of the information. It isn't hard to get souls and shards for your shield so why not upgrade? It's extra stability on top of your endurance. Unless you are just lazy...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

What is the easiest way to get mass souls? I think I'm going to build every character and get them like 10million souls, at the lowest level I possibly can, and then build them after I finish my first character so I know what stuff I need to get, item wise and stat wise, of course I will actually play the game on my first char, but it will make building pvp chars super easy

Are there any methods faster than this? doubtful but worth asking

Exploits pre patch:

Prism stone exploit
    Dark Souls Made Easy With Infinite Souls Exploit - NowGamer

Dragon head exploit
    Infinite Souls/Humanity Exploit - Dark Souls Wiki Guide - IGN

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/exploits

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by D3C1MaTi0n View Post
    What is the easiest way to get mass souls? I think I'm going to build every character and get them like 10million souls, at the lowest level I possibly can, and then build them after I finish my first character so I know what stuff I need to get, item wise and stat wise, of course I will actually play the game on my first char, but it will make building pvp chars super easy

Are there any methods faster than this? doubtful but worth asking

Exploits pre patch:

Prism stone exploit
    Dark Souls Made Easy With Infinite Souls Exploit - NowGamer

Dragon head exploit
    Infinite Souls/Humanity Exploit - Dark Souls Wiki Guide - IGN

Exploits - Dark Souls Wikidot Wiki
    The dragon head glitch is the fastest. Just make sure you delete the patch in order to use it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

When I buy the game I won't even download the patch, I'll just play it solo and get all the souls first, make for easy pvp creation after beating the game on my main

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast