Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

convince me to get dark souls and demon souls

This is a discussion on convince me to get dark souls and demon souls within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; I'm on the fence about these two games convince me why I should get these games? I know about the ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

convince me to get dark souls and demon souls

I'm on the fence about these two games
    convince me why I should get these games?
    I know about the frustration and "epic" difficulty of the first game
    will I like this if I like dragon age and skyrim?
    how does leveling work?
    any specific vid gameplay I should watch to "enchance" my interest?
    it his basically a dungeon crawler? are u solo the whole time? (or most of the time?)
    is there classes?

PRO Member

When im deciding which games should i pick i always check the reviews trailers and on wiki

Platinum Dohvakiin

You know for someone who's "on the fence" about getting a game. You are asking questions you should already know the answers too. Because if you are thinking about buying/playing Demon's/Dark Souls. You should already know the answer to every question you just asked in the op.
    So either A) you have just become interested in the games. or B) you just made a useless thread. Because no body should have to convince anyone to play a game that they want to play. If you have to be 'talked' into at this point. Than you really don't want to play it anyway.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

PRO Member

If you're going to get these games then, forget about Dark Souls and just concentrate on Demon's Souls.
    I will be starting Demon's Souls soon, but there are a few games I want to play 1st. You should watch some gameplay to see if you like what you see.

Sig by Smashguy

Negator

I can't convince you to get Dark Souls, because it's a shitty game.

Demon's Souls however, is an experience every real gamer needs...even if you can't finish it. It's refreshing to see games that still focus on being awesome...DS is one of those games game.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    You know for someone who's "on the fence" about getting a game. You are asking questions you should already know the answers too. Because if you are thinking about buying/playing Demon's/Dark Souls. You should already know the answer to every question you just asked in the op.
    So either A) you have just become interested in the games. or B) you just made a useless thread. Because no body should have to convince anyone to play a game that they want to play. If you have to be 'talked' into at this point. Than you really don't want to play it anyway.
    the answer is A
    now continue on...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Buy the games or the dog gets it

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Get them both they are awesome. There are mild forms of multiplayer (co-op for bosses and invading to kill other players).

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    Buy the games or the dog gets it

LMAO! Damn, that's extreme! Well, it all depends on weather or not you'll have the patience to continue after numerous deaths in the game. It's all on you man.

PRO Member

I can't advise you on Dark Souls as i havn't played it and am also on the fence with it due to varried reviews but Demon Souls on the other hand is brill I just got 1 last trophy to get for my plat . The only thing tho is that the Demon souls servers will be going down some time in 2012.
    Last edited by Kengriff; 12-12-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Sig by: DaRe_xLw Avy by: Dsluckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

is online play required for anything?

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by sirwawa View Post
    is online play required for anything?
    No, but co-op and PvP are a really fun...even though you never need to play online to earn any trophies. (this is for Demon's Souls...Dark Souls does require online play, but I suggest you ignore the game entirely)

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I can't convince you to get Dark Souls, because it's a shitty game.
    No, but co-op and PvP are a really fun...even though you never need to play online to earn any trophies. (this is for Demon's Souls...Dark Souls does require online play, but I suggest you ignore the game entirely)
    I think you're insane. I like Dark Souls a lot more than Demon's Souls. To me they play exactly the same except with Dark Souls you have a limit to how much magic you can use which makes the game harder. I'd say get them both eventually, but start with Demon's Souls first as is cheaper and the servers will be going offline in the near future. You can get Dark Souls later, and hopefully the price will drop by then.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I think you're insane. I like Dark Souls a lot more than Demon's Souls. To me they play exactly the same except with Dark Souls you have a limit to how much magic you can use which makes the game harder. I'd say get them both eventually, but start with Demon's Souls first as is cheaper and the servers will be going offline in the near future. You can get Dark Souls later, and hopefully the price will drop by then.
    Dark Souls is an incomplete game and even after multiple patches it's still nowhere near as good as Demon's Souls.

I respect your opinion...but the FACT is that DkS simply isn't a finished product.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

I haven't started Dark Souls although I'm staring at the physical game as I'm typing this. If you were to get one of the two, Demon's Souls would be the choice. The games are both very similar, but considering what others have mentioned above regarding servers availability, you should try to take advantage of them still being online. It won't hinder your ability to play the game to its fullest (it is mostly a single player experience), but if you want to take advantage of everything, the game's MP capabilities are fun.

Leveling up works just like many other rpgs: you kill stuff and you gain the game's currency, in this case souls. The difficult part is that if you die, you drop all of your souls on the ground and you respawn back at the beginning of the level with all of the enemies having respawned as well. So you have to backtrack to your previous death spot to regain your souls: if you fail to get to them and you die, you lose those souls forever. The higher your level, the more souls you will need which will force you to stockpile on souls, so if you die twice in a row, you may get very frustrated at your inability to progress. Also, I'd like to point out that you need to play this game several times to platinum it, but once you get to your NG++, your character will be able to easily tackle almost everything and your margin of error in gameplay is much larger. You will at that point be able to make mistakes and still live to laugh about them.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Buy both, and let me know when you need help so I can invade you and ruin your gameplay experience lol
    For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are...
    and to the dust we shall return

Signature By Deja View Sigs: jondeere

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by SirWaWa View Post
    I'm on the fence about these two games
    convince me why I should get these games?
    I know about the frustration and "epic" difficulty of the first game
    will I like this if I like dragon age and skyrim?

Demon's/Dark Souls are not really comparable to these two games. Dragon Age and Skyrim are very mission-based with very specific and narrow objectives where as the Souls aren't. The Souls are about just kicking everyone's ass. Also, I find the combat system much better in the Souls games than in the other two. The movements are more fluid and you have a very robust amount of moves depending on the style of each weapon.

how does leveling work?

Basically, you have a series of about 8-10 stats (e.g., Vitality, Strength, Dexterity, etc.). You go through the game and each enemy you kill provides a predetermined number of souls. You accumulate these souls throughout the course of the game. Each time you have a particular amount available, you can level one stat. Each time you level a stat, you also increase your Soul Level by one level. You can level the stats any way you want, so there is a lot of flexibility in how your builds come out.

any specific vid gameplay I should watch to "enchance" my interest?

Depends. If you don't care about spoilers, look up some "let's play" or walkthrough videos of each. I would say that Demon's Souls is the more polished of the two games. The game is very balanced, and the MP system works like a charm. Dark Souls, while a good game, still has some tweaks that the devs need to iron out.

it his basically a dungeon crawler? are u solo the whole time? (or most of the time?)

Yes, both games are, essentially, "dungeon crawlers". As far as being solo, again, Demon's Souls has the more polished MP system, so if a buddy of yours has the game, you two should have no trouble being able to play online together and co-op to your heart's content. This, is not completely the case with Dark Souls. It is much harder to find your "buddy" through the co-op system, so you'll spend much of your time by yourself. Up to this point, I've only had help from two people in Dark Souls, and those were with boss fights. Other than that, it's been a very long, and lonely journey.

is there classes?

Yes, the game has starting classes that are really only relevant at the beginning (NG). Like I said above, you can take any classes and level it how you want, so you may start off with a melee build (e.g., Knight) and learn a couple of spells and realize that you want to go a completely different route and wind up with a mage. Obviously, it's more cost-effective if you start with a mage to begin with, but my point is that just because you start with a particular class doesn't mean you're bound by it.
    I tried to answer your questions.

KCCO!

Dark Souls does require online play, but I suggest you ignore the game entirely
    This isn't necessarily accurate. Online play does help for certain covenants, but you aren't bound by it. You can acquire the items you need to rank up in the covenants for miracles completely offline, but it takes longer.

Ice Cream Firefighter

GC 2011: Trailers, Event Coverage and Game Debuts This site has gameplay, reviews & trailers if your dtill on the fence this is a good place to visit

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 3 - Bronze

so what makes dark souls the "inferior" game?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast