Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this a superior title?

This is a discussion on Is this a superior title? within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; Is it better to just get Dark Souls and skip Demons Souls?...

PRO Member

Is this a superior title?

Is it better to just get Dark Souls and skip Demons Souls?
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I haven't played either but as far as i can tell most people have said that dark souls fixed a lot of issues with the older game, it looks like quite a frustrating game to finish but one of those "holy crap i achieved something!" if you manage to do it.

Ice Cream Firefighter

after all I have heard about it yeah just get Dark Souls it sounds brilliant I own it just havent played it yet

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Is it better to just get Dark Souls and skip Demons Souls?
    Most people, with few exceptions, that have played Demon's Souls extensively, myself included, will tell you that Demon's Souls is the superior game over Dark Souls.

My experience has been that, by way of enemy strategies and in-game gear, Dark Souls isn't as balanced as Demon's Souls. In Demon's Souls, just about every tactic has a counter-tactic. Dark Souls has some tactics that are difficult to counter effectively (e.g., Tranquil Walk of Peace). There are far too many places where Dark Souls will kill you via cheap deaths, such as getting shot off of ledges (e.g., the Black Knight archers in Anor Londo).

The match-making in Dark Souls is nowhere near as polished as it is in Demon's Souls. In Demon's Souls you can play with friends either co-op or PvP with little to no trouble in terms of match-making. It is not so easy in Dark Souls due to the P2P server structure they have, although the latest patch purports to have corrected this somewhat.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dark Souls, and I think it's a good game, but I just don't think it's as complete and polished a game as Demon's Souls is.

EDIT: If I were to use Gauss' rating rationale, I'd give Dark Souls an 8.5, whereas Demon's Souls is probably an 8.75 or 9.
    Last edited by Hitman; 12-14-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Ive platinum'd both and I preferred Dark Souls to Demon souls, the free world gives it a nice feel, Its bigger then Demon Souls i think and was more unique, with interesting minibosses and bosses, However the PvP aspect of it did take a hit and isnt balanced yet, so there is tons of people using cheap tactics in PvP but so long as your okay with that then id recommend Dark Souls

Kiwi Defender

No. Demon's Souls is still superior, specially on a technical level. Dark Souls still has problems that haven't been fixed, specially online ones.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Well I've put more hours and 'focus', I suppose, into Dark Souls than I have Demon's Souls, with DkS having clocked about 120 hours and DS only about 60. I think Hitman has hit the nail on the head in most regards. Most hardcore fans of DS will tell you that Dark Souls isn't as polished (which is true), and that Dark Souls feels very copied/pasted right over from DS (which is also pretty much true).

What does this mean? Well personally, I think both are equally as good. In hindsight, I'd say that they are both solid 9/10s. You can skip over Demon's Souls and get right into Dark Souls if you want to save yourself the $20, and it won't feel as though you missed anything because the games are so similar. Really, the only HUGE difference between the two is the world structure. Otherwise, almost everything from even the enemies attack patterns, to the spell selection, feel as if FromSoft took them straight from Demon's Souls.

Personally, I'd pick up Demon's Souls first to see if you actually like it. It's not a game for everyone, but everyone should try it. For $20, you're getting an insane amount of replay value and could potentially put hundreds of hours into it. If you enjoy Demon's Souls, then go pick up Dark Souls and you'll probably have a blast playing it, but it WILL feel familiar to DS. Whether you like that or not is personal preference.

It should be noted that if you want to play online, Demon's Souls is far superior in that aspect thanks to Dark Souls' horrible servers. (Although covenants in DkS really flesh out the experience more than the online in Demon's Souls)

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Haven't played DSouls yet, but I wouldn't just skip the game. It's worth a play for the odd story and the great gameplay/pvp.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Ive played both , & in my opinion,both are excellent games for the challenges which they present.

As someone whose played Demons Souls at 250 hours & Dark Souls at 260 hours, and also someone who prefers just the SP aspect of the game, I enjoyed Demons Souls more,but with what was done differently with Dark Souls(open world aspect...kinda)If you were to play Dark Souls first, you may not enjoy Demons Souls as much...(it all depends on your experience & reaction to the gameplay)

With all the changes they brought to Dark Souls , to answer your question,no,its not a superior game, just different, in some ways better, in some ways not( i missed the serenity of the nexus in Dark Souls).Just my opinion on both, they are both great games.

I havnt even touched the MP aspect of Dark Souls, but from whats been said here they patched a bunch of stuff,as it definitely didnt run as smooth as Demons Souls whose servers may be going down soon.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Don't be a cheap bastard, just get both of them haha. They are both great games in their own regards. Demon's Souls is like 15 bucks on glyde and dark souls is about 30-35 bucks.

Lvl 5 - Silver

i skipped demon souls and i am having a blast on dark.
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

PRO Member

Does anyone's opinion change if I say that I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of playing Multiplayer in any capacity?

Just saying, I really, really, really don't care about MP in this game.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

KCCO!

Does anyone's opinion change if I say that I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of playing Multiplayer in any capacity?

I'm still of the same opinion as before. I think Demon's Souls is worth playing, regardless.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I heard Dark Souls it's recommended to play MP because some of the bosses are pretty rough solo. As far as Demons' Souls, it doesn't matter if you play SP or not. I played SP the whole time and enjoyed it greatly.

Negator

Personally, I think Demon's Souls is superior to Dark Souls.

Dark Souls does have more content, but I feel Demon's Souls is an all around better/more polished game.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Platinum Procrastinator

I'm of the opposite opinion than that of Helyx. I liked Dark Souls more and felt it was the better game unless you're factoring in the online aspect. If you are, then Demon's Souls is clearly better as the servers seem to be working better. However, I think Dark Souls has the better world and environments.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I'm of the opposite opinion than that of Helyx. I liked Dark Souls more and felt it was the better game unless you're factoring in the online aspect. If you are, then Demon's Souls is clearly better as the servers seem to be working better. However, I think Dark Souls has the better world and environments.
    The one thing about Dark Souls is that it's a bit too confusing for folks, particularly for those that never even played Demon's Souls; there's a relatively-steep learning curve.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by I_Nero_I View Post
    Ive played both , & in my opinion,both are excellent games for the challenges which they present.

As someone whose played Demons Souls at 250 hours & Dark Souls at 260 hours, and also someone who prefers just the SP aspect of the game, I enjoyed Demons Souls more,but with what was done differently with Dark Souls(open world aspect...kinda)If you were to play Dark Souls first, you may not enjoy Demons Souls as much...(it all depends on your experience & reaction to the gameplay)

With all the changes they brought to Dark Souls , to answer your question,no,its not a superior game, just different, in some ways better, in some ways not( i missed the serenity of the nexus in Dark Souls).Just my opinion on both, they are both great games...
    I actually played Dark Souls before Demon's Souls and to be honest... I enjoy Dark Souls more than Demon's Souls. Dark Souls is actually a game that makes you use your brain because, nothing is as cheap as your first visit to Tomb of the Giants

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    The one thing about Dark Souls is that it's a bit too confusing for folks, particularly for those that never even played Demon's Souls; there's a relatively-steep learning curve.
    I wouldn't say that. If you haven't played either game then I would say Demon's Souls is more confusing because of the character and world tendencies. You don't have to worry about them in Dark Souls but instead only weather or not you're in human form. I think Dark Souls has the easier learning curve of the two and was much more enjoyable from a single player aspect in my opinion.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I wouldn't say that. If you haven't played either game then I would say Demon's Souls is more confusing because of the character and world tendencies. You don't have to worry about them in Dark Souls but instead only weather or not you're in human form. I think Dark Souls has the easier learning curve of the two and was much more enjoyable from a single player aspect in my opinion.
    I suppose you have a point about the tendencies. I guess I was more so speaking on the fact that people, sometimes, have a difficult time finding out the 'proper' way to go in Dark Souls. The question I most often hear is "Ok, where do I go now?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast