Decimation's Dark Souls PvP Update!

This is a discussion on Decimation's Dark Souls PvP Update! within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; Alright so DJ Helyx convinced me to go back and give DkS another shot, so I did. I resumed where ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Decimation's Dark Souls PvP Update!

Alright so DJ Helyx convinced me to go back and give DkS another shot, so I did. I resumed where I left off on my Ulchi PvP dex build and in route to painted world. I was solo and warped into anor londo in order to get into painted world. Once in painted world I encountered 11 invaders, first it was blue guys, then once I reached the large lobby area it was red guys. The first time I was invaded my heart was pounding, as I only thought back to when I invaded those 6 or 7 times trying out PvP and was rocked extremely hard and did not want to play anymore, due to the people I was playing against using large damage weapons and my Ulchi build hardly doing damage to them.

As the first invader approached he was using GMW or CMW and hit me pretty hard once, then I slaughtered him like it was nothing. The following 10 or so invaders were every build from ulchi users, spears, scythes, magic, and pyro. The pyro and magic were still extremely easy to kill, as it was in DS. The mistake most of the other players made, which is not even close to DS, is going two handed, once they did this they opened themselves up to being pounded by my ulchi. I smoked all of them like it was nothing if they did this, obviously a shield is VERY important in DkS.

From this I learned that my build is very valid, and it's not even finished yet. I also learned how poise actually works, as I was able to stun lock a few players, especially the magic user. After 2-3 hits on the people using a heavier armor they begin to show stun, where as in DS it is instant, this poise factor will first take up however much your weapon requires, then stun them. In order to get this stun you need to continue with a chain of attacks, and once you chain a certain number, you will achieve stun. I was able to stun 3 players, two of which had heavier type armor, and one was the light armor magic user. Once I achieved stun on the magic user, smoking him was easy, the other heavy armor types were the same, once I was able to get stun, they were gone. Now that I know how poise actually works, I can use it to my advantage.

Also I was able to learn why I had such a hard time to start with when I had my 6 or 7 initial invades. I was most likely invading an area with little player population at my level, so I ended up with players much higher then myself, doing much more damage with stat based scaling weapons, which is why they were able to do so much damage to me. While I was in human form in painted world, the people were either my level, or lower, or 10% higher, which makes for a much more equal fight, rather than my SL 101 vs a SL 300 or something like that.

Lastly a few players tried to parry me to no avail, and a couple tried back stabs to no avail. I am still able to avoid back stabs pretty well, but that has never really been an issue for me, as for parry in DS it really didn't exist, here in DkS I hear good things about it, but the players who tried it against me just opened themselves up for a chain when they missed, which quickly led to their death.
    For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are...
    and to the dust we shall return

Signature By Deja View Sigs: jondeere

KCCO!

Well, glad it's worked out for you this time around. I guess just watch the n00bs who try to ambush players 2-to-1 or 3-to-1.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Well I'm glad to see you gave it another shot. What'd I tell ya? Not everyone is a cheap dirty ass player that you can't beat. Hell, if you come across a cheap player, be sure to kick their ass harder.

I do disagree with on one thing: PvP-ing with a shield. Why? Because most people use Lightning, Fire, or Chaos weaponry in PvP, or katanas that make you bleed. Even successful blocks will fill up the bleed meter, or hits with a Lightning weapon will still do some decent damage. Shields are still viable options, but like you said yourself, dodging is much more effective if you're able to judge what weapon the person is using, and are able to dodge.

Also, parrying works damn well in PvP, I've 1-shotted most opponents with a low HP with a parry, and at least decimate (see what I did there) 50% of an opponents health, even when they're wearing Havel's and have a lot of HP. Like you said, it's very risky, but the rewards are off the charts. Personally, I don't even fight with a shield, but I use the Parrying Dagger in my left hand instead, just so that I can get a parry in. Fighting without a shield is immensely fun anyway. Personally, I find shield users to be boring as they just like to turtle their way to victory. Hell, one time I lost to a guy using a spear because I couldn't get any hits in on him (was using Greatshield of Artorias). I just find that kind of a boring match. Hell, I'm even thinking of doing an Avelyn-based build where I use the Avelyn in my left hand, and maybe the Washing Pole in my right. Seems super fun, and it could possibly be very effective.

But anyway, glad to see you're back into the swing of things. Maybe someday we might be able to get a duel in.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Maybe someday we might be able to get a duel in.
    Ahem...erm, it's duel.

EDIT: You sneaky bastard, you fixed it.

Platinum Procrastinator

Glad to see you gave it another try. I was wondering why you were having a rough go at it while invading knowing how good you are at DS from what others have said. I never even thought about the level difference so that makes perfect sense. Now that you're the one being invaded, you're really wrecking people lol.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I've been pvping in the kiln of the flame, undefeated so far, its going great, I'm back into this game! So far I've been against a few magic users, as I stated originally, easy as pie, even the hybrid ones with some kind of magic wep with stat scaling are easy to kill

as for normal melee players, it's all based on skill unless they are using a large wep with big damage, if they get lucky and get a hit off then that isn't too good, but I haven't had any big problems with them thus far, I've had a lot of people try to parry me but none have succeeded
    For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are...
    and to the dust we shall return

Signature By Deja View Sigs: jondeere

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by D3C1MaTi0n View Post
    I've been pvping in the kiln of the flame, undefeated so far, its going great, I'm back into this game! So far I've been against a few magic users, as I stated originally, easy as pie, even the hybrid ones with some kind of magic wep with stat scaling are easy to kill

as for normal melee players, it's all based on skill unless they are using a large wep with big damage, if they get lucky and get a hit off then that isn't too good, but I haven't had any big problems with them thus far, I've had a lot of people try to parry me but none have succeeded
    PvP against Jack, and he'll parry the shit outta your ass.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    PvP against Jack, and he'll parry the shit outta your ass.
    Depends on his weapon and how he uses it. Most people are stupid and try to chain together multiple attacks, leaving them open for a parry. The most annoying people are the ones that roll around and then poke one hit in before rolling again. Also, I only parry with this one DEX build. I'm currently making one around the use of the Avelyn (which wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be to get), and I think it's gonna be fun as hell to play with it.

Also, as a general tip, wearing both the Mask of the Child and Grass Crest shield or Cloranthy Ring makes you regen stamina almost immediately. I prefer having two equipped (Mask of the Child and Cloranthy Ring are my preferred for my upcoming build), rather than having one like most people, and having to invest in Green Blossom. If you can, try to have 2 things equipped, it makes tanking bosses 10x easier, and it's also fantastic for PvP.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.