What was your favorite equipment and spells? =3

This is a discussion on What was your favorite equipment and spells? =3 within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; Simply put, what was your favorite equipment and spells, including weapons, armor sets and rings, that you used most of ...

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

What was your favorite equipment and spells? =3

Simply put, what was your favorite equipment and spells, including weapons, armor sets and rings, that you used most of the time in Dark Souls?

As for me...

Rings:

- Ring of Fog (God, I love this ring to pieces. It allows me to sneak by enemies or to lower their aggro range, making most places such a breeze for me even in NG+ or higher.)
    - Ring of Favor and Protection (Well, you would have expected it anyway. It increases all of health, stamina and equipment load, making it a valuable asset until you reach higher soul levels in the 150+ range.)
    - Darkwood Grain Ring (Amazing ninja-flip ability that makes you want to jump all over the place, evading enemy attacks with ease. Very invaluable for bosses and such.)

Armor Set(s):

- Ornstein Armor Set (Formerly my main choice, but was un-upgradeable, and lost its usefulness at higher soul levels.)
    - Paladin Armor Set + 5 (Now, that is what I am talking about. Neither light nor too heavy, but with insane defence against all kinds of damage and poison/toxin/curse. A must-have for any medium-endurance player in the range of 40 endurance.)

Shield(s):

- Caduceus Kite Shield + 10 (Worked well for me at lower soul levels, until...)
    - Silver Knight Shield + 5 (This silver beauty has protected me time and again from all kinds of dangers, with amazing stability close to 80. Never go around the world of Lordran without this!)
    - Spider Shield + 15 (A wonderful shield to protect totally against poison and toxin, and bleeding as well, especially in Blighttown or against Priscilla.)
    - Crest Shield + 5 (A powerful protection against heavy magic users, especially Four Kings and such.)

Weapon(s):

- Enchanted Winged Spear + 5 (Being mainly an Intelligence-based build, this worked wonders with my shield as you could block and attack at the same time.)
    - Zweihander + Great/Crystal Magic Weapon (Again, with such high Intelligence, this weapon was a beast, especially against Four Kings and such.)
    - Tin Crystallization Catalyst / Izalith Catalyst (An incredibly powerful catalyst that boosted sorceries like crazy, but halved their spell usages. Useful against Four Kings, etc., but otherwise, Izalith Catalyst was a better alternative.)

Spell(s):

- Great Fireball & Great Combustion (You got to love those handy fire spells as they completely demolish any non fire-immune bosses in early New Game Plus'es.)
    - White Dragon Breath, Homing Crystal Soulmass & Crystal Soul Spear (Well, you cannot complain about those, as they are fine sorceries by themselves, and with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring and Tin Crystallization Catalyst / Izalith Catalyst, they are worth more than their weight in gold.)

Okay, I guess that was a long read, haha. What about you? You can make it shorter if you want, and oh, Dark Souls was such a fun experience to get the platinum in! =3
    Last edited by cocoasg; 01-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

KCCO!

Nice post cocoasg! I always like seeing what others are using in terms of gear. Here's my stuff.

Rings

Main Rings

• Dark Wood Grain Ring - This ring is pretty much a necessity for any player. The change in rolling action is worth it's weight in gold. Not only can you flip/roll faster, but it even allows you to do it while wearing heavy armor, given your equipment burden is high enough, which leads me to my next ring.

• Havel's Ring - I usually wear an Elite Knight set or heavier since the lighter armor sets don't offer as much protection, and are really only useful in particular situations (e.g., Crimson set for curse-prone areas, Gold-Hemmed set for poison-prone areas, etc.). So, I tend to make heavy use of this ring to allow for maximum mobility. My weapons also tend to take up a lot of my available equipment burden so it's almost a necessity for me.

Situational Rings
    • Ring of Favor and Protection - Since this ring breaks when you take it off, I try to use it only in desperate situations where I need increases in all the stats it buffs. I think I've only had to use it once, and that was for the Four Kings fight in NG. I currently have three of these in my inventory.

• Ring of Fog - I only use this ring in particular situations where I need the extra stealth, which I'm usually not concerned about too often.

• (Rare) Ring of Sacrifice - There were a few times I wanted to keep my souls/humanity, and I knew I was walking into an ambush, like going for the Large Divine Ember in the Tomb of the Giants.

Obviously, there are other rings I used for specific tasks, like the Covetous Silver/Gold Serpent rings for farming either souls or items, Rusted Iron Ring for Blighttown or watery places like Darkroot Basin. Well, you get the idea.

Armor
    • I started using the Elite Knight Set and liked it, so I upgraded it to +9 for all pieces. This is usually my main gear.

• When I'm in need of tanking, I typically go with the Smough's Set.

• When I'm in need of curse or poison resistance, I switch to either the Crimson Set or the Gold-Hemmed Black Set.

Weaponry
    • I used Quelaag's Furysword +5 for much of NG and NG+. It's quick, and provides a very good amount of damage, especially when upgraded and at 10 humanity on your meter.

• I'm currently in NG++ and I still find the Lightning Spear +5 to be effective against certain enemies (e.g., Taurus Demon), particuarly those weak to lightning attack.

• I mainly use a Black Knight Halbred +5 now, which does damage of 500. A standard parry/riposte (without the Hornet's ring) easily does 1,000 DAM, or close too. With the ring equipped, it's well over 1,000 DAM per hit.

Shields
    • Heater Shield - This baby was very nice for NG. You can get it early on, and it has 100% physical damage reduction.

• Silver Knight Shield +5 - I upgraded this bad boy to +5 and it's what I mainly use. At +5 it has 76 stability, so stamina drain is minimal. It's a good all-around shield to have.

• Greatshield of Artorias - This is my "go-to" for specific instances where I know I'll be taking a few shots and I'll need to block often. I equip this shield and lose almost no stamina, even to larger enemies and bosses. You can equip this shield and a good spear and just sit back all day pwning.

Spells

I went with a Pyromancer as my class, so I made use mostly of pyromancies.

• Combustion - This is a "must have" spell for any pyro. It is quick, and with an upgraded pyromancy flame, does an insane amount of damage, particularly the Great variety.

• Great Chaos Fireball - There's not really much to say here. This spell just destroys enemies. Not only does it cause damage via the flame, but also creates a pool of lava underneath your enemy for additional damage.

• Great Fireball - When I run out of the Great Chaos, this is my next spell.

• Fire orb - Same as above...run out of Great Fireball, move on to Fire Orb.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Nice! Thanks for your post, like you said, it is always interesting to see what others wore during their adventures in Dark Souls, hehe. Anyone else, please also post here, do not be shy!

From Software forever! ^o^

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Nice! Thanks for your post, like you said, it is always interesting to see what others wore during their adventures in Dark Souls, hehe. Anyone else, please also post here, do not be shy!

From Software forever! ^o^
    Yeah, I see you went with an INT build. I may give that a go at some point. I'm thinking of starting a DEX build next. For some reason, I'm just not in love with the magic in DkS like I used to be in DS. It seems like cast times are slower and such and wouldn't be effective. Maybe I'll try an INT build at some later point.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Yeah, I see you went with an INT build. I may give that a go at some point. I'm thinking of starting a DEX build next. For some reason, I'm just not in love with the magic in DkS like I used to be in DS. It seems like cast times are slower and such and wouldn't be effective. Maybe I'll try an INT build at some later point.
    An INT build is actually very effective, especially with Great/Crystal Magic Weapon and powerful sorceries from Big Hat Logan. With higher dexterity (but not really necessary), you can cast them faster and with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Tin Crystallization Catalyst, a Homing Crystal Soulmass will do a staggering 1-2k+ damage to even Great Grey Wolf Sif at high INT levels, like 40-50 intelligence.

And with an enchanted weapon, it only grows stronger with higher INT as well. The alternative is of course Great/Crystal Magic Weapon with a strong physical weapon (often stronger than using an enchanted one). White Dragon Breath, while requiring 50 INT, is another very nice spell to use; lots of usage and VERY effective against ground mobs, able to hit multiple targets for high damage.

So there ya go, and have fun with your INT build! Actually, I specialized in both sorcery and pyromancy (since pyromancy can be made as powerful as possible with only souls). Well, as a placeholder for the stats that I used for my INT build, here they are:

30-40 Vit (You can survive with 30 Vit and place the spare points into Strength for Zweihander, or any other heavy weapon.)
    16-19 Attunement
    40 Endurance
    50 Intelligence

Str and Dex will be raised according to what weapon you would like to use. Faith and Resistance are not necessary.

That is all, and have fun! =3

Legendary...Nuff Said

Well I'll just share what I generally find useful across all of my toons.

Rings

Ring of Favor and Protection - With the exception of my latest build, in which I wanted Lautrec's armor, I always kill Lautrec ASAP in order to get this ring. It's probably the most n00b-friendly ring out there for the start of the game, as the extra boost to equip load, stamina, and vitality are all VERY useful until you get your stats up high enough in which you can take off the 'crutch' of a ring, if you will.

Havel's Ring - Undoubtedly the best ring for any tank/melee build. Allows for use of heavy armor and weaponry, but without having the burden of slow movement.

Hornet's Ring - OHMYGODILOVETHISRING. For a DEX build, it's really awesome. Allows you to one shot most enemies with critical hits. Also VERY useful for PvP. Additionally, the different animation that you get on criticals is sick!

Cloranthy Ring - I <3 fast stamina regen.

Dark Wood Grain Ring - The best ring in the game IMO. You don't need to sacrifice speed to get great defense with it on.

Armor

Ornstein's Set - Good defense, and you look like a lion. Totally awesome. A pity it can't be upgraded, though.

Catarina Set - For some epic Onionbro-ery.

Black Knight Set - Looks totally badass and provides defense comparable to that of Ornstein's when upgraded.

Havel's Set - Good for tanking.

Smough's Set - Makes you look like a fatass. However, it's the best armor in the game, statistically.

Xanthous Set - HUGELY underrated. Currently, it's the best light armor in the game. It gives just under 100 physical defense when non-upgraded, but can give up to around 180 when fully upgraded. This is unrivaled in terms of light armor. Too bad the crown looks retarded and it doesn't allow you to see in front of you.

Weaponry

Washing Pole - The length of a spear, but with the great moveset of an katana. Only downside is the horrible durability of the weapon.

Black Knight's Sword - I was doing around 500 damage with it when fully upgraded, with my stat scaling. Very respectable... Too bad it's VERY slow.

Greatsword of Artorias (Blessed) - Dark Souls' version of the Blueblood Sword. Gets AMAZING stat scaling if you can properly wield it. Ultimately, it's the best sword in the game with maxed out stats. Again, too bad it's slow and has a 'meh' moveset.

Quelaag's Furysword - Great for DEX builds as it has a good, quick moveset and does great damage with high DEX and 10+ Humanity.

Dragon Bone Fist - I use it just for shits and giggles sometimes. Something that people tend to look past, however, is the A stat scaling it gets in STR. Even though the base damage is only around 100 (un-upgraded and without stat scaling), which is extremely measly considering it's a boss-born weapon, with 50 STR, it'll be doing somewhere around 250 damage, AT LEAST. Add a buff to it and it's suddenly a very destructive weapon with a fun moveset.

Shields

In general, I like going shieldless and relying on being able to dodge more (it's more fun IMO), but here are my choices for shields.

Black Knight's Shield - The fire resistance is the key here. It's nice to be able to travel to somewhere such as Izalith and not have to worry as much about fire damage.

Grass Crest Shield - As aforementioned, faster stamina regen is awesome. Only 95% physical damage reduction, but it's worth it for the stamina regen.

Sanctus - Not necessarily best used as a shield with it's 95% physical damage reduction, BUT it's a key item to have for places such as Blighttown, where you can be poisoned in the swamp, but not lose any health with the HP regen.

Greatshield of Artorias - The amount stamina that you lose from blocking with this thing is ridiculously low, making it the best shield in the game, IMO. Hell, I can block the two-handed Capra attack and only lose 50% of my stamina from it with this bad boy. Not the best when it comes to magic/fire/lightning damage reduction, but the good far outweighs the measly.

Spells

Crystal Homing Soulmass - Does 1000+ damage with a high level sorcerer, and the fact that the spells hones in on enemies is nice.

Crystal Soul Spear - The most devastating spell in the game. Period. Does 1,500+ damage with a high-level sorcerer, and it has a very quick casting time.

So yeah, that's me. I've had a very good taste with just about everything in this game. I have a STR build, an INT build, a DEX build, and a VIT/END build centered around the Avelyn (which is very badass in PvP. Does 400+ damage with a Lightning Avelyn +4 and if all 3 LIGHTNING bolts hit!)

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.