Dark Souls PvP suggestions and advice.

This is a discussion on Dark Souls PvP suggestions and advice. within the Dark Souls forum, part of the D; Lately I've been thinking of getting into this games PvP aspect, or at least getting better at it so being ...

дурак

Dark Souls PvP suggestions and advice.

Lately I've been thinking of getting into this games PvP aspect, or at least getting better at it so being invaded doesn't mean I just sit there and let them kill me, since I'm garbage at the combat.

The thing I'm having a hard time grasping is what exactly all my skills do (Vitality, Endurance, Resistance, etc). It just sort of gives a brief description that is mildly vague.

My current stats for my main character (Wanderer) are:

Soul Level 80
    Vitality: 30
    Attunement: 12
    Endurance: 11
    Strength: 20
    Dexterity: 40
    Resistance: 30
    Intelligence: 11
    Faith: 9

Basically I want to know exactly what I'm putting my souls into when I level up, and where a good place to start learning and practicing my PvP abilities would be. I realize experiencing it constantly would be a good idea, but whenever I do, I usually just get backstabbed and it's game over.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Platinum Procrastinator

I'm not an expert by any means at PvP but I suggest you put some points into END and stop putting anymore into RES. In my opinion, you already have way to many wasted with RES. END is good to have as it allows you to absorb more hits before getting stunned I think so you can block longer and more often.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

дурак

That's what I thought too. I was sure I wasting points in Resistance, but I just figured it would be helpful. And yeah, I've begun to focus on END a bit more lately. That and maybe a tiny bit more strength.
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Legendary...Nuff Said

Yikes! This looks a lot like my character on Demon's Souls lol.

At that point, you can stop putting points into anything STR or DEX related, both are at good and respectable points that will give you significant stat scaling, most especially with weapons that scale with DEX. Vitality is also at a good level at 30, and since I see this is a melee based character, I'd suggest going to 40 before all is said and done, but put that off until MUCH later.

You're main problem here is the horrible distribution into the RES stat. It's frankly the most utterly useless stat in the game. All it does is up your poison/toxin resistance, and maybe some other small resistances. Basically, it does nothing, and every point put into that stat is pretty much totally wasted.

So what do you need to do? UPGRADE YOUR ENDURANCE!!! END is probably the most important stat to upgraded, especially on your first playthrough with a character. Why? Because a higher-level END stat allows you to wear heavy armor (which will in turn give you resistance boosts, making that RES stat even MORE useless), as well as carry extra weapons. At 11 END, you're probably doing a big fat-roll with any mildly-heavy armor set, and you can probably only incorporate one weapon and a shield into your arsenal. Since you're obviously going melee here, END is made even more important. If you were going for a mage/faith caster, then it'd make more sense to leave that stat alone more, but a low END stat seriously hinders yourself.

My advice, spend your next 30 soul levels ONLY upgrading END, then the next 10 upgrading your VIT up to 40. This will put you at SL 119, which is when you should probably put a cap on upgrading the character, especially if you want to participate in PvP.

At the end of the day, upgrading in the RES stat actually isn't going to hurt you, but it's really just a waste of a lot of souls and 20 SLs. : /

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

дурак

When I create a character in an RPG type game the first one seems to always turn out to be a dud. I make my 2nd character and it's more refined and makes a bit more sense. Thinking of making a new character after I beat the game solely for PvP purposes, and with the advice I've gotten so far, maybe make that character so he can roll with something that weighs more than tin foil.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Your stats should be the following placeholders:

Vitality: 40-50
    Attunement: 12/14/16/19 (depending on how many attunement slots you want for spells)
    Endurance: 40 (VERY important for wearing armor and stamina; stamina stops increasing after 40 END)
    Strength: -- (raise according to your preferred weapon's stat scaling)
    Dexterity: -- (raise according to your preferred weapon's stat scaling)
    Resistance: -- (NEVER raise this useless stat at all; it is not good)
    Intelligence: -- (depends if you want to go on an INT build, if you want to use enchanted weapons or Crystal Magic Weapon)
    Faith: -- (not necessary, unless you want to go on a FAITH build, and use Darkmoon Blade + 3)

So there you go, I suggest you start a new character, and choose your preferred PVP weapon and build, and then stick with that, raising your STR and DEX, or INT/FAITH, to scale with that weapon. Have fun! =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

дурак

Ahh yes that's sound like the best idea so far. But I got a couple more questions. What's this stat scaling for each weapon you mentioned, and how does DEX and STR factor into them?

Also does anyone have an opinion on Quelaag's Fury Sword? I've grown fond of it, that and my Halberd.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    Ahh yes that's sound like the best idea so far. But I got a couple more questions. What's this stat scaling for each weapon you mentioned, and how does DEX and STR factor into them?

Also does anyone have an opinion on Quelaag's Fury Sword? I've grown fond of it, that and my Halberd.
    Strength - Dark Souls Wikidot Wiki - Please refer to this link for the STR requirements for all the weapons listed here, then click on the weapon you want to use in PVP and you will be able to see its stat scaling in its page, under 'Stat Bonuses'. You also have to meet the DEX requirement for that weapon too. The 'Stat Bonuses' look something like this:

C/D/-/- which means it scales better with Strength than Dexterity, but does not scale with Intelligence or Faith, in this order, STR/DEX/INT/FAITH.

Quelaag's Furysword is a good weapon, but was nerfed in a recent patch, I think. It is up to you if you want to use this weapon for PVP or experiment with other weapons until you like the moveset.

дурак

I got another couple questions for you veterans. I made a Cleric type character for Co-op (To help people with the bosses and whatnot)

First: What type build would be the most beneficial as a Melee/Support type of Cleric?

Second: Is there a Miracle that can heal other members of a party and where can it be found if so

Thanks guys.

KCCO!

I got another couple questions for you veterans. I made a Cleric type character for Co-op (To help people with the bosses and whatnot)

First: What type build would be the most beneficial as a Melee/Support type of Cleric?

Second: Is there a Miracle that can heal other members of a party and where can it be found if so

Thanks guys.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Great Heal Excerpt heals others in your party. Petrus (or Rhea) sell it, I think.

дурак

Unfortunately it doesn't. I thought it did when I first bought it, that's why I'm looking. Don't want to join the Princess Guard, since I would lose my Lightning Spears.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Thanks guys.
    If you are the host with 2 other summons, you are able to heal them with your own Estus Flasks. I am not sure if any miracle is able to heal your party, since I have never created a Faith build yet. Otherwise, if you are one of the 2 summons, you will have to depend on using your Humanities to heal yourself or your host will heal you with his/her Estus Flasks whenever necessary.

Or, if you find the Channeler's Trident as a drop from Channelers in the Duke's Archives, you can use the two-handed R2 attack to get into a dance animation, boosting your party's attack parameters! Well, have fun. =3

Legendary...Nuff Said

There's two miracles that allows you to heal party members. They're called Soothing Sunlight (gradual HP restoration to you and partners) and Bountiful Sunlight (Heals you and your partners greatly).

Both are found as drops off of two specific Picasas (octopus enemies) in the Duke's Archives prison. However, they can only be utilized whilst you're part of the Princess' Guard covenant.

дурак

So I basically have to choose between Offensive or Support Miracles? There doesn't really seem to be any offensive ones that could be of great use unless I'm a Sunbro or Gravelord Servant. Wrath Of God has like 3 uses

Oh well, I'll figure something out. Oh and got those two miracles you spoke of Jack, I also learned the Dukes Archives is insanely annoying xD.

Royal Flush X2

1st off I know this is an old thread but why create another one around the same topic. Anyhow I need some advice on building up my character so that I could do better in invading as I found out that pryomancy sucks for it. Anyhow here's my stats
    SL 65
    Vit: 24
    Attunement: 19
    Endurance: 30
    Strength: 18
    Dexterity: 14
    Resistance:12
    Intelligence: 17
    Faith: 14

I also have ascended my pryo to + 1.
    Also I have thought about upgraded the black knight sword but is there much better weapons to use the Twinkling Titanite with?

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by omnislash View Post
    1st off I know this is an old thread but why create another one around the same topic. Anyhow I need some advice on building up my character so that I could do better in invading as I found out that pryomancy sucks for it. Anyhow here's my stats
    SL 65
    Vit: 24
    Attunement: 19
    Endurance: 30
    Strength: 18
    Dexterity: 14
    Resistance:12
    Intelligence: 17
    Faith: 14

I also have ascended my pryo to + 1.
    Also I have thought about upgraded the black knight sword but is there much better weapons to use the Twinkling Titanite with?
    Pyromancy is actually useful, better than other spell types, for PvP. Great Combustion and the Great Chaos Fireball are extremely useful.

With your stats, you need to start leveling one of 3-4 main stats, which depends on what weapons you want to use. The Black Knight Sword is not a very good weapon for PvP because of its bad stat scaling and poor moveset. So you have a choice of leveling 4 main stats. Dexterity, Strength, Intelligence, and Faith.

For Dexterity, I'd level to 45 for better spell casting speed. This allows you to use katanas, daggers, bows, and curved swords to the best of their ability. I personally love Dexterity because most weapons that it affects will do good damage while also have a quick and good moveset. It fits my personal playstyle.

For Strength, it will affect your slower, but massively powerful greatswords, greataxes, and the like. While powerful, these swords are slow and have a limited moveset, which will make you need to mix things up by swinging with out locking on, etc.

For Intelligence, it will raise the damage done by all sorceries, but also give you access to one of the best swords in the game: The Moonlight Greatsword.

Faith is a stat that will increase miracles. There are very few good weapons that coincide with faith, but you can always create your own using the Divine/Occult upgrade tree.

You can also always do a hybrid of two stats. A Faith/Dexterity hybrid works extremely well, as you can apply a high-damaging faith buff such as the Sunlight Blade to a quick DEX weapon to create extremely high damage whilst also retaining speed.

Always make sure you get your Vitality and Endurance to at least 40 each as well.

NEVER use Fire/Chaos/Lightning weapons because THEY DON'T SCALE WITH ANY STATS. It makes the weapons extremely weak when in comparison to stat scaling weapons.

So yeah, just figure out what kind of playstyle you want to use, and get that main stat to 40-50 before leveling another stat.

Want ideas for builds? Check out this site here: Dark Souls Character Planner: Saved Builds I go by the name of 'Rogue' on that site if you want to check my own builds.

Good luck!