Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bad game design choices in Dead Nation

This is a discussion on Bad game design choices in Dead Nation within the Dead Nation forum, part of the D; I had a lot of fun getting this plat. It was rough but nothing insanely hard. I dont think I ...

Legalize it...

I had a lot of fun getting this plat. It was rough but nothing insanely hard. I dont think I would change anything about it...

Regional Manager of War

I would agree with your points but I found the game to be really easy and very fun, also the 1 hit kill monster comes out from obvious spots. Me and my partner would lay down land mines, and use the Rocket/Shocker as a good tag team to destroy the cutter with no real problems. The game is more than fair, even for the plat they don't ask for you to beat Undead difficulty.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    I enjoyed the game a lot. I thought this game was way better than the inFAMOUS or Wipeout games that Sony offered during the outage
    BullShit!!! inFamous was the best that was on offer *sticks middle finger up at Deth

Sig by Smashguy

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Just love this game and the DLC hope there is a second one,I am at the graveyard on morbid by myself things are gonna get hairy.....bring it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

This game is surely not my first choice in zombie survival, but its alright. No way I'm going to platinum it though.

Gaming since 1985!

Sure it was a tough game on Grim and Morbid, but isn't that what you'd expect from difficulty levels with those names? Try the game on Undead and then get prepared to be pissed. I had quite a hard time, but even my so so skills paid said bills. I thought it was well deisnged and fun through every single playthrough.

PRO Member

This game was certainly a challenge at some spots. On Morbid for the final wave before getting on the helicopter... I ran out of all ammo... all I had was my friendly rifle. Needless to say, it took me over 30 minutes to clear that wave because I didn't want to restart the checkpoint. Hellish.

But the OPs rant was awesome. Loved reading it.

PRO Member

I loved every minute of the game! I just kept trying over and over again till I got the Platinum.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hahahahhahahahhahaa, Usain Bolt zombies hahahahahhaha. To be honest, I had the same exact feeling about this game, the checkpoints are still very questionably placed. But in the end I found the game pretty entertaining and fulfilling, still need to do my Grim and Morbid run for the plat, but Im looking forward to it. As long as you have a plan to get through specific areas then you should be good. Games nowadays are difficult but never impossible as some games from the 90's actually were. Basically, most if not all game designers who still have their jobs and are making games for consols like the PS3 and 360, know what they're doing and they know when is enough as far as difficulty goes. I cant blame them for how hard the game is, as said before, whenever I died, I felt like it was my fault, not like the game was cheating me or it was just too hard. I see where you're coming from, but seriously, it's just a game. Relax.

Resident Evil 5 - inFamous - inFamous 2 - Madden NFL 11 - Madden NFL 12 - Rachet & Clank: A Crack in Time - Assassin's Creed II - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Modern Warfare 2 - Modern Warfare 3 - Call of Duty: Black Ops - Heavy Rain - NHL 10 - Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception - Resident Evil 4 (100%) - SSX - MLB 12 The Show - Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Lvl 5 - Silver

You will have more fun if you play it on the hardest difficulty by yourself, the only that I didnt liked was the end, the difficulty was cool, seriously there's some situations you gotta think well what to really do not just shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by scary_atheist View Post
    JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, just reached a graveyard battle where there are ... at least 4 of the fucking howler screamer fuckwads all bunkered up inside buildings, while getting swarmed by all the adds and 4-5 bombers and god analrape to fuck knows what outside.

Yeah, right, this is GOOD GAME DESIGN.

Fucking deleting this piece of crap shit.
    And you havent got to the end of the game
    PS4: jGezze7
    ''War... War Never Changes...... Men do, through the roads they walk.''

Lvl 4 - Silver

I'm with most people. I enjoyed reading this little rant, your vocabulary's pretty funny. But the arguments are really just nitpicking. If you can't handle Grim, put it in an easier difficulty. Don't blame the game. It's supposed to be hard. I really like the game, especially since I got it for free. And that was a bit of a blessing too. Because I already had inFamous and LBP, and I didn't care about WipeOut or Ratchet & Clank.

Signature by Fox | Take a look at my Trophy Checklist | Latest plat: The Walking Dead

Lvl 4 - Silver

Checkpoints are poorly laid out. There are no checkpoints before critically difficult sections, such as the kind of fights where you're waiting for an elevator or an extending bridge while being swarmed by enemies in a relatively small area. Instead, the checkpoints are placed a whole area away from these spots; and if you die during this final phase, which you will, you have to reclear EVERYTHING. Fucking ******ed.

If you're hit by a ZOOMBIEEEZZZ lol, you like TOTALLY STOP DEAD FLAT LIKE YOU'VE HIT A FUCKING WALL. Which means, if you get swarmed, you're dead bro. So what fucker? Don't get swarmed, assmaster. Oh what's that? 40 fast running fucking Usain Bolt shit******s swarming both IN FRONT and BEHIND you? Haha, suck satan's cock. Satan being the designers of this fucking crapload of shit.
    Totally agree with these two points. Haven't played the game in ages because I just find it so frustrating at times.

Lvl 4 - Silver

What!? I thought it was a good game challenging but not impossible. When i played the game the MINES were my best friends.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Checkpoints are poorly laid out. There are no checkpoints before critically difficult sections, such as the kind of fights where you're waiting for an elevator or an extending bridge while being swarmed by enemies in a relatively small area. Instead, the checkpoints are placed a whole area away from these spots; and if you die during this final phase, which you will, you have to reclear EVERYTHING. Fucking ******ed.

* One-hit-kill monsters EXIST. And they run FASTER THAN YOU.

* If you don't know that you ABSOLUTELY NEED to max out grenades and flares right away, you're assraped. Go start a new game, you stupid fuck. Hahaha.

* When approaching critically difficult areas, such as the ones mentioned in the first point, the screen goes ALMOST COMPLETELY FUCKING BLACK. You can't see SHIT, including where those THREE FUCKING JUMPERS are.

* If you're hit by a ZOOMBIEEEZZZ lol, you like TOTALLY STOP DEAD FLAT LIKE YOU'VE HIT A FUCKING WALL. Which means, if you get swarmed, you're dead bro. So what fucker? Don't get swarmed, assmaster. Oh what's that? 40 fast running fucking Usain Bolt shit******s swarming both IN FRONT and BEHIND you? Haha, suck satan's cock. Satan being the designers of this fucking crapload of shit.
    Oh, shut up and stop acting like a child because the game's too difficult for you. Seriously, how old are you - 10?

Go and play Flower or something - maybe that'll calm you down....

PRO Member

"Oh what's that? 40 fast running fucking Usain Bolt shit******s swarming both IN FRONT and BEHIND you?"
    hahahah damn.. this one was funny.
    but I dont agree.. I actually think this game is not that hard at all... its actually pretty awesome!
    plus.. I dont know why people always complain when hard mode is hard. goddamit..

Up the Irons!

Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTMARE View Post
    What!? I thought it was a good game challenging but not impossible. When i played the game the MINES were my best friends.
    I also used the mines a lot.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Good potential, bad outcome. Glad I got this for free through PS+ so I didn't accidently pay for this swollen garbage.

I have no issues with difficulty in games, but I do have issues with unfairness and sloppy design. Here are some of the more noteable aspects about Dead Nation that completely fucks up the experience.

I'm trying to beat the game on Grim. But;

* Checkpoints are poorly laid out. There are no checkpoints before critically difficult sections, such as the kind of fights where you're waiting for an elevator or an extending bridge while being swarmed by enemies in a relatively small area. Instead, the checkpoints are placed a whole area away from these spots; and if you die during this final phase, which you will, you have to reclear EVERYTHING. Fucking ******ed.

* One-hit-kill monsters EXIST. And they run FASTER THAN YOU.

* If you don't know that you ABSOLUTELY NEED to max out grenades and flares right away, you're assraped. Go start a new game, you stupid fuck. Hahaha.

* When approaching critically difficult areas, such as the ones mentioned in the first point, the screen goes ALMOST COMPLETELY FUCKING BLACK. You can't see SHIT, including where those THREE FUCKING JUMPERS are.

* If you're hit by a ZOOMBIEEEZZZ lol, you like TOTALLY STOP DEAD FLAT LIKE YOU'VE HIT A FUCKING WALL. Which means, if you get swarmed, you're dead bro. So what fucker? Don't get swarmed, assmaster. Oh what's that? 40 fast running fucking Usain Bolt shit******s swarming both IN FRONT and BEHIND you? Haha, suck satan's cock. Satan being the designers of this fucking crapload of shit.

Goodbye.
    You have no issue with difficulty, but your entire post is talking about how you can't beat it on Grim. Here's an idea, start on braindead, then move up to normal, and then playthrough on grim.

You don't need to waste all your money maxing out on grenades and such, maybe instead of calling people stupidfucks, you should try a different stradegy if it's not working for you. What you need to do is max out everything on your SMG, this way you have a good weapon to try a run through with if you struggle with a level.

Remember if you're struggling, in many situations you can run through and not have to kill many or any of the zombies, but don't do it unless you have to because you don't get many points for it at all.
    PS3 Platinum List: Need For Speed Undercover, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, NCAA Football '10, Madden NFL '10, Fuel, Midnight Club Los Angeles, Madden NFL '11, Call of Duty Black Ops, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Need For Speed Shift, Burnout Paradise, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, Pure, NCAA Football '12, Madden NFL '12, NCAA Football '11, Battlefield 3

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by iToxicityHD View Post
    uMadbro?
    lolz his definitely mad

anyway you don't have to max out supplies and once your near the end you pretty much have everything maxed
    plus i didn't even use the lame smg mainly the rifle as it is the best gun and has unlimited ammo plus it beast when fully upgraded
    flares are awesome plus mines . should use cars to your advantage
    it not difficult just got think of ways you approach enemies shotgun my favorite to take out those fat fuks and i use flamethrower to help me take out shit load of zombies as it very useful in making them run slow , mouths don't like fire so saves you from having to deal with even more zombies
    i beat the game on morbid in co op which is more difficult, glad i knocked this platinum out of the way. it not our fault you suck you should just work your way up from lowest difficulty to hardest i started on grim and i didn't even find it hard

and the way they set checkpoints is to give us a challenge not to make it super easy. i know it frustrating me and this guy who did co op on morbid the last stage we had do redo it from last checkpoint so many times and when we were close to end he died and i had to take out every god damn zombie myself what i did was use strategy simple as that running and gunning with the main gun while saving up ammo and using other guns when it needed why waste ammo from good weapons on weak zombies
    protosuit ftw that extra speed is so useful

i just gave some tips
    oh and i got the game for free which is awesome i just brought that new dlc they made for this game if anyone down for some co op action let me know
    Last edited by stealthkiller22; 12-17-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm willing to bet money you've never played an nes, or snes game before. Reason I say that is, if you think this game is unfair & has poor design choices, then you would never beat even the easiest games on those systems.

Like Rubicant81 said, you can get through the entire game using only your starting rifle if you know what's coming & the best tactics to beat it. You obviously don't. Watch some youtube videos on morbid for some strategies since you obviously need the help.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

this is the kind of game where you can't start on grim. If you start on braindead or normal and work your way up it is a great game, but starting in grim will make you break your controller in half. The learning curve is too great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast