Dead Space 2 Review By Dsluckay

This is a discussion on Dead Space 2 Review By Dsluckay within the Dead Space 2 forum, part of the D; Dead Space 2 Review By Dsluckay Basic Information Developer: Visceral Games Publisher: EA North American Release Date: January 25, 2011 ...

Change is mediocre

Dead Space 2 Review By Dsluckay

Dead Space 2 Review
    By Dsluckay

Basic Information
    Developer: Visceral Games
    Publisher: EA
    North American Release Date: January 25, 2011
    European Release Date: January 28, 2011
    Trophies: 1 3 4 43

Overview
    Dead Space 2 follows protagonist Isaac Clarke as he awakes on a Space Station known as The Sprawl. The Sprawl has been overrun by necromorphs, a reanimated dead body that Isaac has encountered before in the previous game. Isaac must suit up and fight to survive in this deadly game of survival and politics. Get ready for Dead Space 2.

Gameplay
    If you have played the original Dead Space, then I will have you know not much has changed from the gun mechanics. The Dead Space series is unique because to kill a necromorph, one must shoot off their limbs. This really sets the game apart from most zombie apocalypse games. in Dead Space 2, shooting the head off of an enemy is usually a bad thing, as it makes the enemy go berserk. You can also shoot off the legs off an enemy to make it crawl, making it vulnerable to a stomp. Also, Dead Space 2 will scare the living balls off of anyone that plays it. Often times I found my self jump from random pop-ups and eerie settings.

Dead Space 2 allows you to buy and upgrade various types of weapons and armor. You can find credits for the store scattered all throughout The Sprawl. Unlike the first Dead Space, Dead Space 2's armor has drastically changing appearances to their armor. Dead Space had only slightly altered upgraded armor.

The Advanced suit, definitely my favorite suit in Dead Space 2.

The weapons of the Dead Space series have always been my favorite of any game like this. For example, the Hand Cannon, which you unlock after you beat the game on Hardcore, is a foam finger with a flashlight on it. Every time you shoot, Isaac says "Bang" or "Pew". Another fun gun is the Javelin gun. It shoots, you guessed it, Javelins. These javelins pin enemies to a wall or the floor. Then of course, there is the same main gun that was in the previous game, the Plasma Cutter. My favorite gun, because it is so simple. It fires a short little line to cut away limbs with ease.

Singleplayer
    Dead Space 2 starts off in an asylum on the Sprawl, a city built on Titan, one of Saturn's moons. Isaac soon finds out that the city is infested with Necromorphs that he once fought in the first Dead Space. Isaac finds a girl that he soon makes a plan with to save themselves, which involves destroy the Marker. The Marker is what makes the people of the Sprawl go crazy, and eventually reanimates bodies into necromorphs. Isaac also starts to see his girlfriend Nicole, who died on the USG Ishumura, which is the ship Isaac was on in Dead Space. Nicole plays a big role in Dead Space 2, but I will not spoil that.

The levels are well designed, and the enemies are well designed that are in said levels. A great example is the elementary school. Once scene has a woman and a necromorph baby that is just brutal. The baby crawls to the woman, and as she holds it tight, it explodes both itself and the women. Then, there were toddlers. I never thought I could hate toddlers anymore than I did already, but luckily Visceral Games changed that. Picture loud, screaming children playing with a big group of friends. Now picture them pissed-off at you with large claws, and you know what it is like to be in this elementary school.

Did I describe them pretty well? I thought I did

One of my favorite parts of Dead Space 2 is a part when Isaac is being chased by an enemy called the Tormenter. Isaac runs through multiple runs to escape the grasp of the Tormenter. After falling three stories, you get up only to see that there is a ship outside a window that starts to shoot. Trying to grasp onto anything he can find, Isaac is soon thrust out into space with the ship. That is just a sample of how intense this game gets.

Multiplayer

Whilst I really don't think a game like this should've even had the hint of multiplayer, it is still a very fun feature of Dead Space 2. You can be either a Human marine, or Necromorph. The necromorphs were very fun to play as, and they were very easy to rack up kills with. You can choose from either an annoying toddler, little baby with tentacles that can crawl on walls, a normal Slasher, or a Puker. Lots of variety make the necromorph team a very nice sight for sore eyes in the multiplayer world.

The humans on the other hand were very dull and boring. It was easier to get kills and points with them, but it is very lackluster to play as them. They also have objectives to do, as the necromorphs try to stop them. Like I said before, multiplayer wasn't needed in Dead Space 2, but it is fun to play.

Killing toddlers with friends, am I the only one that sees the awesomeness in this?

Technical
    Great mechanics is an understatement. Smooth shooting, and gameplay all together make for a fun game. The voice acting is great as well, and I am glad that we can finally hear Isaac, as he didn't speak in the first Dead Space. This gave Isaac a lot more emotion, and a better connection between the player and himself.

The atmospheres is phenomenal, with eerie lights and long corridors, it made want to just stop for a moment so I could prepare for the inevitable pop-up at the end of said corridor. The lighting topped with sounds that will make anyone playing jump off their seat. As for graphics, they are also very well done. Kudos to Visceral Games for making such a technically advanced game.

Trophies
    Nothing too difficult except the Hardcore difficulty trophy. You are required to beat the game on Hardcore. This is difficult because you only have three saves in Hardcore, and enemies do a lot of damage. The rest of the trophies are pretty easy in comparison.

Closing Thoughts
    Dead Space 2 is a great game for those who love horrific things such as movies and games. If you have played the first Dead Space and liked it, you will not be disappointed with Dead Space 2, as it just exceeds the first in every way.

Gameplay: 9/10
    Great, fun gameplay, but it can get a little repetitive after a while.

Singleplayer: 9/10
    A plot like no other, Dead Space 2 is great, well designed fun.

Muliplayer: 8/10
    Not as great as singleplayer, but it is great to play with friends.

Technical: 10/10
    Matched by no other, the sounds and environment of Dead Space 2 are spectacular.

Overall: 9/10
    Last edited by dsluckay; 01-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

I would have given the game a higher rating overrall and the MP a much lower rating but it's still an awesome review. I can see you in gray sometime soon.

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I would have given the game a higher rating overrall and the MP a much lower rating but it's still an awesome review. I can see you in gray sometime soon.
    Lol. My best friend absolutely loved the MP, he was ready to buy the game just for that. He would force us to play together so I started to love it xD Thanks Kerwan.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Good review ds, agree with the score even down to the MP which was fun but still felt like a shallow Left 4 Dead clone, still a decent addition to the package.

Can't say i enjoyed Dead Space 1 though, i bought it for 2 and i still traded it in, DS2 has superior scares,shocks and gore not to mention gameplay.
    I did however, play them in the wrong order so i kind of spoiled it for myself.

PRO Member

Read through the review so I can comment on it sufficiently, because I get really annoyed if I spend time on a review an 99/100 comments are 'yh i agre wiv ur score lol' or 'omg no its GOTY fo sho'

Spot on in most areas, I dont like scoring/commenting on multiplayer because for the most part, especially with how much online gaming has advanced, it's just subjective and based on personal preference. I've scored games higher because I've played them with friend simply pissing about, I'm guessing that you've done the same here and enjoyed it.

I agree with the points on how much more they've developed Isaac as a character. It lost a little bit of the edge that was there in DS1 but it's a lot more connectable and loveable now you see inside the tormented head of Isaac.

Great review though, only thing I'd probably say is that the gameplay section is lacking a little bit on how the game feels, if you get me. Such as how the variety in weapons benefits different areas or gameplay styles. Or how the (At times, especially at the start) weak feeling Isaac in terms of firepower is pretty much being chased through corridors and levels, blasting at whatever pieces of necromorph he can see

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSonofvenom View Post
    Good review ds, agree with the score even down to the MP which was fun but still felt like a shallow Left 4 Dead clone, still a decent addition to the package.

Can't say i enjoyed Dead Space 1 though, i bought it for 2 and i still traded it in, DS2 has superior scares,shocks and gore not to mention gameplay.
    I did however, play them in the wrong order so i kind of spoiled it for myself.
    I enjoyed Dead Space 1 quite a bit, I have beaten it over 3 times I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Read through the review so I can comment on it sufficiently, because I get really annoyed if I spend time on a review an 99/100 comments are 'yh i agre wiv ur score lol' or 'omg no its GOTY fo sho'

Spot on in most areas, I dont like scoring/commenting on multiplayer because for the most part, especially with how much online gaming has advanced, it's just subjective and based on personal preference. I've scored games higher because I've played them with friend simply pissing about, I'm guessing that you've done the same here and enjoyed it.

I agree with the points on how much more they've developed Isaac as a character. It lost a little bit of the edge that was there in DS1 but it's a lot more connectable and loveable now you see inside the tormented head of Isaac.

Great review though, only thing I'd probably say is that the gameplay section is lacking a little bit on how the game feels, if you get me. Such as how the variety in weapons benefits different areas or gameplay styles. Or how the (At times, especially at the start) weak feeling Isaac in terms of firepower is pretty much being chased through corridors and levels, blasting at whatever pieces of necromorph he can see
    Thanks man, great critique. I agree with the multiplayer as it is personal preference on how we view that aspect of the game as not everyone will have the same experience.