Kiss of death: Dead Space 3 Wants to appeal to a wider Audience

This is a discussion on Kiss of death: Dead Space 3 Wants to appeal to a wider Audience within the Dead Space 3 forum, part of the D; Dead Space needs “around five million” fans to survive, according to EA | PC Gamer EA president Frank Gibeau says ...

INTJ

Kiss of death: Dead Space 3 Wants to appeal to a wider Audience

Dead Space needs “around five million” fans to survive, according to EA | PC Gamer

EA president Frank Gibeau says that Dead Space needs a number of players roughly equivalent to the entire population of Norway to justify its continued existence. “In general, we’re thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space,” he told CVG in a recent interview.

“Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them,” he continued. While firm sales numbers are not readily available, EA did say back in February that Dead Space 2 was selling about twice as well as the franchise’s first entry had. Yet, even given that, they feel that Dead Space 3 needs to be more “broadly appealing” without alienating current fans of the series.

Dead Space 3 is set for a 2013 release, and sounds to be leaning toward more toward the action genre than its predecessors. Only time will tell if, and to what extent, that shift compromises the horror elements that current fans of the series enjoy.

дурак

Don't care. Still gonna have fun.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I know he talks about adding Co-op which would be just fine with me, but I think they should stay away from any competitive multiplayer like DS 2. Cut it out and maybe you won't need to sell 5 million copies to make money.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm still getting it, because I like the series, and story. Horror or not.
    Especially for a person like me, who isn't a big horror junky, but doesn't mind a little scare now and then, that's why I was able to play Dead Space 2 with no wetting of the pants.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Dead Space 3 already looks like shit. They've removed the best parts of the series in order to make it appeal to a wider audience, and I'm feeling like it's more EA's doing than Visceral's.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Kiwi Defender

I recall DS2 wanting to appeal to a wider audience, too, and fans loving it.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I recall DS2 wanting to appeal to a wider audience, too, and fans loving it.
    Dead Space 2 appealed to a wider audience with less scares, and more action. Highly similar to how James Cameron made Aliens appeal to a wider audience with a similar style of action > scares. Dead Space 3, on the other hand, is taking the series in a horrible direction. The inclusion of co-op, cover, a wide world (as opposed to enclosed spaces) and added military enemies is completely and utterly killing what's good in the franchise. I have no quarrels with devs changing things up (as I've expressed before) but if you're going to change things up, don't get rid of the things that define your franchise.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

O_o

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Dead Space 2 appealed to a wider audience with less scares, and more action. Highly similar to how James Cameron made Aliens appeal to a wider audience with a similar style of action > scares. Dead Space 3, on the other hand, is taking the series in a horrible direction. The inclusion of co-op, cover, a wide world (as opposed to enclosed spaces) and added military enemies is completely and utterly killing what's good in the franchise. I have no quarrels with devs changing things up (as I've expressed before) but if you're going to change things up, don't get rid of the things that define your franchise.
    I disagree. Dead Space 2 was a bigger game in all aspects, including horror, and I feel the action supplemented the movement of the game. I found it much more tense than the first, not to take anything away from Dead Space 1. But I do have to agree on your second point. It seems, as of lately, DS3 is a very diluted Dead Space with things that just aren't what you think when you think of Dead Space title.

I really hope this works out, but we won't know until street date.

Legend...Nuff Said

Where did they come up with 5 million copies? Holy hell, what are they wasting their money on that they need 5 million copies to be sold. How many game titles have even met that number at all?

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Where did they come up with 5 million copies? Holy hell, what are they wasting their money on that they need 5 million copies to be sold. How many game titles have even met that number at all?
    Every Call of Duty. Every game is trying to break records like Call of Duty. Which sucks, because Dead Space, even though is a good franchise, will most likely never get 5 million.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Ah, the famous last words....

I liked DS2 even though it was a bit more action oriented but it was still an excellent game and one of my favorite of 2011. DS3 on the other hand...cover system, enemies with guns and a more action oriented approach make me a bit worried about the franchise's future.

Change is mediocre

I disagree with Jack as well. I think that Dead Space 2, while it had less scares (I will agree with you there) the ones in the game were far greater than anything in the original Dead Space.

This is probably why they are adding co-op (to appeal to a wider audience). But I hope Visceral can still make this game badass without EA fucking everything up.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Dead space 2 is the best in my opinion, ds3 has been fun but not enough scary moments. I liked the co op option but pure survival etc on co op was far too easy.
    My FAV plats:Bioshock, Fallout, Crysis, Dead Space, Dead Island, RE, Prince of Persia and all the different versions of those games.